444 Happy Camper!

Wrangler
    Member #

444 Happy Camper!

I shot my new 444XLR for the first time today. I loaded 48 rounds of ammo which included 240gr (Hornady HP and Speer FN), 265FN Hornady, and 300FP Speer. I found a load for each weight that would hold and inch or less for four shots at 50 yds. I am well pleased and cannot wait to get some cast bullets from Marshall. While RL7 was more accurate (in my rifle) than H4198 for the 240gr bullets, it was about 150fps slower than the published data. I have found that RL7 seems to vary quite a bit from "lot" to lot. For the 265 and 300gr (jacketed) rounds, H4198 was "The" powder giving outstanding accuracy and velocity very close to the data (interpolated out of the manuals). I fired all but 4 of the 48 rounds, which I let two of my friends "in on the fun". We all agreed it was not much more than a light 30/06 (with a 180gr load) in recoil. While I'm hesitant to discribe it is as a "big push", the 8.3 pounds (not counting a magazine full of cartridges) did seem pretty tame after firing "Corbon" loads out of a 45/70 and my .375 H&H. I'm not "predisposed" to firelap the bore with the accuracy this Marlin has displayed thus far; however, I will probably have the trigger worked over or get a "Happy" trigger (mine weighs in at 5+ pounds), and replace the ejector with the "Grizzily". I am also going to check into extending the throat for longer OAL to reduce pressures while increasing powder capacity if can be easily done. I am very pleased with the XLR's quality, fit, finish, and performance and wish to thank you 444 "looney's" (you know who you are :lol for "steering me in the right direction" and providing so much information. Regards, Riley

Platinum Poster
    Member #

444 Happy Camper!

Sounds like a winner to me.. :lol:
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Member #

444 Happy Camper!

[size=18px]My new 444XLR has proven itself to be a deadly game stopper, a buddy of mine just bought a Stainless .45-70 GG today, so I took my .444 over to show him (a little side by side comparison), after seeing my XLR he is kicking himself for not buying the XLR instead of the Guide Gun. :lol:
    Guess he should of asked me first...
    --Ken
    [/size]

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links