Range session-not pleased!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Range session-not pleased!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Range session-not pleased!

Had my 444s languishing in the safe unfired by me for a few years since I bought it. Decided to scope it and give some time at the range. Only have 1 box with 18rds of the Hornady 265 gr flat points left and that is what my 444p is sighted in for and with it not being currently in production I didnt wanna burn em up sighting in. I was able to find the remington 240gr and the leverevolution at my LGS so I bought a box of each. I decided to try the Rem first. The accuracy of these were horrendous to say the least! I shot the whole box at 50yds and had nothing even close to resembling a group with my 3 shot strings! I mean one shot would be 3"low left and the next would be high right etc. I was literally so embarrased by my target that when I saw another shooter pull up to use the range I scurried downrange to retrieve my target and left without trying the leverevolution. To elimate possible external variables I will state that the scope was properly mounted and boresighted. I was shooting off the bench using a bag rest. I am also an experienced shooter and regularly shoot other calibers with more recoil without issue and was paying very close attention to duplicating my hold,my form etc. I have never had a rifle give me issues like this! Only thing I can think If Its not the ammo perhaps the scope is bad so I pulled a leupy 2-7x33 off another rifle and have mounted and boresighted it. I bought another box of the Remmys and plan on returning to the range tonight if the wind dies down. Also plan on trying the leverevolutions and may even try a few of the Hornady FPs if the Remmys appear to be doing the same thing after a few shots to hopefully rule out thaf this rifle just wont shoot . Fingers crossed

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    If you haven't already, uncross those fingers and double check the scope base. Loose screws and a shifting base have been the cause of many accuracy problems and can be easily overlooked. If you didn't start from scratch when you remounted the Leupold, you may be setting yourself up for more of the same. A few minutes spent now may save lots of frustration...and wasted ammo...later.

Roe

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I've had good luck with the leverevolution rounds on paper out of my XLR .444 using a freshly mounted Leupold VX-II 3-9x40.

This was my session at 100 yards after boresighting.

I was running out of time so I could not dial it in closer but. I was happy with the results.

The .308 express in the middle was from a newly aquired .308 MXLR with a Nikon prostaff 3-9x40 scope that was mounted and sighted in by the previous owner.
    He said it was dead on at 100 meters and boy he was not kidding.....one shot is all it took to convince me.

jbaker30, dpe.ahoy and GaCop like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Somewhere in South Carolina again! Charter Member #3 Team 444
    Member #
    Maybe do a check with open sights, to verify groupings.
    mt_sourdough and Reicher like this.

Their are only two kinds of people, those who own a 444 and those who wish they owned one, and yes folks, denial is bliss!

Not much has really changed in the world in 2000 years, Christians are still being thrown to the Lions! and Satan's tool of Deception is still working like a charm, from the time of Adam and Eve, to today!

Charter Member #3 Team 444
    Member # 379 Team 1894
    Member # 1053 Team 30-30
    Member # 338 Team 39

Wrangler
    Member #
    The Remington factory stuff didn't shoot worth beans for me.
    Hornady L/E shoots great from my slow twist micro-groove.
    Go figure.
    Maybe set aside 3 of the Hornady for a test group if changing the scope/ checking base screws doesn't work for you.
    "I have a tendency against which I should, perhaps, be on my guard, to swim against the stream..." Winston S. Churchill

Team 444-Member #315

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I can't add too much advice about getting the rifle to shoot a good group except to say that shooting a lot of factory ammo is a good way to go broke. I don't know what other calibers you shoot, but maybe some reloading equipment would be a good investment.

Super Moderator
    Somewhere in South Carolina again! Charter Member #3 Team 444
    Member #
    I would also do a deep cleaning on the barrel with one of the foaming bore cleaners, I'd do it several times. Over the years of not being cleaned a barrel develops jacketed fouling that turns into a oxide layer on top, and if you let this happen several times accuracy can suffer greatly. Also check every screw for tightness and if it has a forearm barrel band make sure the mag tube and barrel are still lined up at the barrel band screw, sometimes these screws will bend during recoil and allow the mag tube to cause accuracy issues.

Their are only two kinds of people, those who own a 444 and those who wish they owned one, and yes folks, denial is bliss!

Not much has really changed in the world in 2000 years, Christians are still being thrown to the Lions! and Satan's tool of Deception is still working like a charm, from the time of Adam and Eve, to today!

Charter Member #3 Team 444
    Member # 379 Team 1894
    Member # 1053 Team 30-30
    Member # 338 Team 39

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Don't feel bad, I've gotten the same results with those 240gr 444 rounds (as did my son and brother).I remedied the problem by reloading them down,that is to 2000-2100 fps.The factory loading state 2350 fps. and I was able to get consistant 1" groups from a bench/sandbag.The factory Hornady Lev.265gr grouped very well (clover leafed)-the 265gr seem to be the "magic number" for the 444 at those velocities (2200 and up).After shooting those 265gr at the range, you'll be leaving the range with your chest out and a smile on your face.
    Rory McCanuck likes this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thanks for the replies guys. I throughly cleaned the gun. I checked all the screws and actually removed and remounted the scope base and then remounted and boresighted a brand new out of box leupold I had in the safe. I plan on going to the range tomorrow and trying again. Someone mentioned reloading. I do reload for my other calibers, however cannot find components or dies for the 444. Will report back tomorrow.

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    I checked my scope mount screws and the ring screws, too. Forgot all about that big one that holds the rings onto the base. YUP, it was my culprit - as Stevewhr was my witness. After that, not a bad load in the basket. There is always something overlooked...

Jeff
    utahtrapper likes this.
    Sweetwater
    WDRA, Billy Dixon Em
    Team 35 Mbr #75
    Team 32 Mbr #27
    Team Old Pharts #226

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links