Loads for the .35 Remington
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Loads for the .35 Remington

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Loads for the .35 Remington

Hello everybody im new here and have found myself in love with a new to me 336cs , i ran the serial # online and if i did it right its a 1990 model nothing fancy and a little dinged up but a good woods gun which is all i need and im the type that if she has a few dings n dents that just means its got some stories to tell, well im struggling with some loads and sights so my post may be two fold here , ive always put a scope on the gun to develop a load and see what they like as accurate as i can and then remove it and dial in the irons , i like using the imr4064 as it fills out the case more but im thinking she likes the burn rate of imr4198 better.. anyone else have a preference? I dont want to push the limits too much but ive been reading a bunch it folks push the .35 a little higer than published loads and are getting good results but I've always just stuck to the books #s to be safe and played with different powders but im having difficulty keeping the gun shooting within a couple inches @ 50yrds , ive been reloading for my 336 30-30 carbine and my 1895 45-70 16" barrel a bunch and can work a load on them to punch ragged holes when scoped but this one just doesn't seem to have that tightness to her but im thinking its me so im also thinking of mounting a leupold 1.5x5 vx3i on it and maybe leaving it on as well if my eyes really are getting that bad i just dont like big scopes on my lever woods guns , has anyone used that leupold or like them on their 336? Sorry if im cramming too much into 1 post i just dont do forums a bunch so forgive me if im posting in the wrong places this is all a little new to me and if i missed some good reads somewhere maybe just point me in the direction and it'll keep me from posting questions that may have been answered elsewhere thanks in advance truly some great knowledge on here ive learned from already
    Lever Jac likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have three marlins in 35 rem, they all like something a little different. My 336D prefers a Speer 180gr FP with IMR4198, try a couple of different powder/load combinations and see what works best. good luck.
    Lever Jac likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I use IMR4064. It fills the case and gives me about 2000 fps with a 200gr bullet.

redhawk
    The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Be Alert....we need more lerts.
    Not all who wander....are lost.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I am wondering what your groups look like. I have a 336 in 30-30 that strung groups vertically until I worked over the barrel bands. The groups of the same gun started spreading its groups horizontally about a year later and the butstock had shrunk so I didn't a tight fit on the recoil flats. I sealed and refitted the stock with epoxy the problem disappeared.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Lever jac , can u elaborate more on the stock shrink thing cause my gun buttstock seemed loose when i got it , i can grab it and move the butt stock forward and back about 1/16" , i tightened the tang screw but no help .. my groups are spread right to left but dead center vertical
    Lever Jac likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I started by removing some wood across the the recoil flats and roughing the wood up with a Dremell tool. I removed most of the wood from the inside of the flats so I could keep the visible line where the gel is to a minimum yet still could have some thickness of the arglass gel. I also roughed up the top where the tang rests as when I tightened the tang screw I thought I was getting some flex when I completely tightened the tang screw.

The important thing about the next step is to use a release agent on everything that could possibly come into contact with any of the gel besides the wood of course. Masking tape works well to keep the epoxy from contacting the finished wood of the stock.

I mixed up a little over a tablespoon of arglass gel with a small amount of brown dye then applied the gel with a cut down tongue depressor onto the recoil flats and into the tang area, then assembled the stock and tightened the tang screw. Let this sit for about a day then remove the stock.

Then you will want to remove some material so there is space between the back of the tang and the stock. I removed a small amount of material from around the radius area of the forward tang so all the reward recoil force is taken up on the stocks recoil flats.

Your butstock seems to have way to much play in it. Hope this helps you figure it out.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    200’s and 38.5grs H4895 for mine.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I'm liking the rcbs 200 gr. over leverevolution lately. I like the 1.5-5 Leupold with the thick plex reticle. Have one on my 444 and don't want more scope.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    LJ thanks for such an in depth explanation and the tips , thats probably my problem right there and i never thought of it , im going to address that first then rework my loads but to all the otbers that chimed in i really do appreciate the suggestion on loads as well , I've played with various powders but all my rounds were made with 200gr hornady interlock bullets i may try different weights i wasn't aware of those 180g sierras and someone just told me about some 220grainers i may try to find but barrel bands and stock adjustments might be what i need to do to first baseline her ! Thanks again!

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    A lot of load recommendations here at this link. https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/3...ton-loads.html
    Maineiac likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links