Just FYI, NOE 360-230 is a no-go in older Marlins
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Just FYI, NOE 360-230 is a no-go in older Marlins

Sidewinder
    Member #

Just FYI, NOE 360-230 is a no-go in older Marlins

A friend with this mould sent me a sample to try in my 1951 336-A in .35 Remington, and the older Marlin short throat came fully into play. Not even close to chambering. Here it is compared to the Lee 200/RCBS copy, which chambers fine in my rifle:

fullsizeoutput_11bb by ComeWatson, on Flickr

Deadeye
    Member #
    It is a unique cartridge and provides it's own challenges to the reloader.

I think the 200 gr is more than adequate for the .35, but I have to admit the interest in the 230 gr effort. You would be teasing the 240 gr .38-55.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Solomon

Wrangler
    Member #
    Had same problem with a 30.30 165Gr Ranch Dog design. too bad, the mold cast beautyfull bullet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I am the friend mentioned in the original post. I use this bullet in my 35/30-30 JES reborn and it is fine, but the early Marlins as seen are a no go. Great I NEED another mold anyway.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I have a mold that was made for forum member Rooterpig to his design. It was called the RP 220. I modified the mold to use in my SG 35. The mold now throws a 235 grain bullet. The bullet with gas check is .910 long. If that length and meplat shape will work for you, I could send one to you for a try out to see if it will work in your 35 Rem. My bullet has no crimp groove so it can be tailored to any seating depth that would work for you (I have found that the Lee Factory Crimp Die works best when no crimp groove is on the bullet, although a regular crimp using a seating die will work).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Overkill.............is WAY underrated."
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/new-sg35-sg444-home/

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Interesting. I have had chambering issues with many of the original Ranch Dog designs including some made by NOE. Really just depends on the gun.
    Flat Top likes this.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Not only is the short throat an issue, but some of those Marlin 35 cal throats are a bit on the tight side for an oversized cast bullet. A 358 jacketed bullet will fit, but, a .359 to .360 or larger cast bullet will scrub the throat. I have a good number of throating reamers that I use to get around all those issues (can size and/or lengthen a throat to use any bullet)......so, a 35 cal Marlin lever gun can shoot oversized cast bullets with a little throat work.

Another thing to check: Insure that your loaded rounds are concentric........if a bullet, especially a fat cast bullet is a bit off center, it will tend to scrub on one side and limit the chambering depth of the loaded round.
    Last edited by Flat Top; 07-20-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Another remedy: Was talking with forum member rooterpig yesterday and he suggested nose sizing the cast bullet. The bearing surface of most cast bullets of heavier weight is a bit long for the Marlin 35 Rem chamber, so to offset that he nose sizes to the crimp to length that he can utilize in his chamber. In essence he creates a bore ride bullet by doing so. In one case rooterpig nose sizes the bullet to reduce the diameter of the nose of the bullet (or that portion of the bearing surface of the bullet that limits chambering) to .350 and the long heavy bullet fits the chamber of his rifle. He told me that the bullet chambers easily and is VERY accurate. From the base of the bullet the O.D (or the bearing surface of the bullet) is .360, and from just above the crimp the O.D. of the bullet is nose sized .350 to the tip. I would imagine that other than that the shape of the nose of the bullet and the width of the meplat may have some bearing on feeding and chambering smoothly, but, the O.D. of the bullet forward of the crimp would not.....something to consider.
    Oregon Bill likes this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    A rough Example; Same bullet, RP 235....on left as I shoot them with a full .360 O.D. bearing surface, and on the right .360 O.D. bearing surface and nose sized to .350 O.D. to fit the OEM chamber. I believe that if some folks want to shoot a heavy bullet that this is the simplest and easiest way to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    The noe nose sizer that FT is referring to is the cats meow. Two of my bore ride molds cast a tiny bit big and would not chamber until nose sized.
    Flat Top and Oregon Bill like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links