Interesting first range outing with a 1940 Rem Mod 141 in 35 Rem
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: Interesting first range outing with a 1940 Rem Mod 141 in 35 Rem

Super Moderator
    Member #

Interesting first range outing with a 1940 Rem Mod 141 in 35 Rem

Bought a very nice 1940 Remington Mod 141 pump gun in 35 Rem about a month ago. Finally had time to take it to the range yesterday. This rifle came with an old Lyman 66 peep with most likely a Marbles front sight insert with a white bead. The Lyman was set low and I kept it on that setting--it was set for elevation much like the irons on my 1926 Rem Mod 14 in 35 Rem. I hoped that the reloads which worked in the Mod 14 would work in the "new" Mod 141. My first few shots didn't land anywhere on the paper at 50 yards--either shooting too low or too high. After adjusting my aim upward several times, I finally saw that my 200 gr RN Hornady Interlocks were landing a foot and a half below the target rack. After repeatedly cracking on the windage and elevation knobs--I was able to get my POI on the paper near the POA. I ended up placing my last shot barely touching the multi-target sheet center bull in the 4 o' clock position. My reloads definitely required a much high elevation setting than what the peep sight was originally set for. Possibly someone monkeyed with the Lyman peep settings before I bought the rifle--no way to know for sure. I can't wait to get the rifle out to the range again to shoot for accuracy. I will have to wait a few days to do that. My LGS is hosting a female firearms Youtuber so she can make some videos on the range this weekend. I HATE crowds!
    Last edited by Ret_Eng; 05-17-2019 at 09:28 AM.
    Zgun, cajun56, Travlin and 17 others like this.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Interesting thread tease. Please be sure to follow up. Love the 35 Rem and old guns. How about a few pics?
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I will post some pics tonight of the Mod 141. Here is a pic of my 1926 Mod 14 in 35 Rem:
    IMGP0095.JPG

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    When you get a rifle, you really don't know waht the previous owner was doing. Heard of a few guys that would buy scopes and mount them thinking that they were somehow magically sighted in. When I got my old waffle top 30-30 it had a Redfield receiver sight that shot high on its lowest setting. Would have been tricky to use on a deer with 150 grain bullets and might have been usable with 170's. For all you know the rifle may have had sights swapped out. I finally swapped the Redfield out to another rifle and put a Williams 5-D on the 30-30 to get tit to work better even after installing a higher front sight. I can also assure you that some people that used these rifles may not have been that overly successful. Dad's rifle was not always a meat getter. I used to party hunt with some pretty awful shots. That was the reason I quit party hunting. I was pretty young then.

Those older pumps are nice rifles. While I do remember some of those horrible shots in the hunting party, I also remember an individual that used a Remington pump and shot deliberately. If deer came running out on a field you could tell it was him shooting an there would sometimes be more than one deer down. I still like a pump shotgun for ducks as it made me a more deliberate shot over a semi auto. They were good old deer rifles.

DEP
    Ret_Eng, 94win30wcf and JACKTW like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    That is true--no way to know if this peep was really set up properly for the rifle. I don't believe it was swapped out from another rifle. The peep was set low and had been set like that for a number of years. After cranking up the elevation setting--there was a lot of trapped gunk on the peep mount and on the top of the rifle receiver.
    alphalimafoxtrot likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I reassembled an old 141 after cleaning the mud & leaves out of it. My friend’s grandpa sure rode it hard & pit it away wet a few time. I really wish that old gun could talk, or for that matter, the highly skilled machinists that made those things. I don’t claim to be a skilled gunsmith & some of those 141 parts made 4-bbl carburetors look like tinker toys.

Know for sure I’m preaching to the choir here, but on more than one occasion I would crank a tang sight down as far as I could & then file down the front sight blade to stretch out the range of sight adjustment to try to reach the furthest dinger possible.
    Ret_Eng and alphalimafoxtrot like this.
    Team 35 Rem # 279 336SC
    Team 45-70 # 431 1895G
    1895LTD IV
    Rolling Block
    Team 450 # 60 1895MR
    Winchester 94, 1866-1966 Centennial

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    RE those are nice looking 35 Rems. One tip I can add from experience with old sights that haven't been used for years. Make sure you spray them out good with a degunker before you crank on them. I have gotten guns with sights that were stripped out adjustments or
    screws twisted off from forcing them through gunk or rust. I started deer hunting as a kid with a m8 in 35. I still have it but my main deer rifle in the woods has become a 141/35cal. After one season playing with a 742 in 30-06 I went back to 35rem. and 141. I had several but have never had one with reciever sight or a scope. I never wanted to D&T them. I have various tang mounted peeps for them that work out good for me. I always wanted a scope to see what they actually would group. I shoot 200g RN too, I have never had a 35 that shot the pointed bullets as well as RNs. In pumps I'm down to one 14 and one 141. Pic of three, the middle one now lives in
    Texas.image.jpeg
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    RE those are nice looking 35 Rems. One tip I can add from experience with old sights that haven't been used for years. Make sure you spray them out good with a degunker before you crank on them. I have gotten guns with sights that were stripped out adjustments or
    screws twisted off from forcing them through gunk or rust. I started deer hunting as a kid with a m8 in 35. I still have it but my main deer rifle in the woods has become a 141/35cal. After one season playing with a 742 in 30-06 I went back to 35rem. and 141. I had several but have never had one with reciever sight or a scope. I never wanted to D&T them. I have various tang mounted peeps for them that work out good for me. I always wanted a scope to see what they actually would group. I shoot 200g RN too, I have never had a 35 that shot the pointed bullets as well as RNs. In pumps I'm down to one 14 and one 141. Pic of three, the middle one now lives in
    Texas.image.jpeg
    I cleaned up the peep the best I could without moving the dials prior to yesterday's range outing. This Mod 141 was properly stored and maintained for a lot of years--it was definitely used--but in much better condition than my '26 Mod 14. I do shoot pointed 200 gr Hornady Interlocks in my '79 Rem Mod 760 in 35 Rem with a scope. The rifle is very accurate and the velocity approaches 356 Win levels. The SP Interlocks feed very well with the box mag in the Mod 760. Supposedly the pointed bullets will work in the flutted tube mags--but I don't know if they will cycle in these older pump guns. I prefer to play it safe and stick with the RN Interlocks which have shot well out of my Mod 14 and hopefully the Mod 141 too.
    Last edited by Ret_Eng; 05-17-2019 at 09:33 AM.
    JACKTW and alphalimafoxtrot like this.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    When I first started deer hunting at 12yrs old and got the m8/35 I bought Rem pointed ammo. Why? I went to local Western Auto and looked at 35 Ammo, the pointed bullets looked meaner or something. They worked slick in the #8. I never bought a second box because the older guys set me straight. I have gotten pointed factory ammo with 35 rifles I have bought and shot it up plinking in
    14s & 141s and it functioned slick as a whistle. Off bags when my lookers were still in good shape at 60yds I could shoot 2" groups with 200gr RN. With pointed bullets about 3". I only know that because I had to proove it to Bro one time. I had a strange dislike for RN bullets when I was young. I think to beginners they look crude. I have a 1895 Win 30-06 that won't shoot Spitzer bullets of any kind or load. You stick 180Rns in it and the Devil goes to Georgia, it will drive tacks. RN bullets may look clunky but for hunting purposes in some rifles they are hard to beat. The first rifle deer I shot as a kid was with a 200gr RN Rem factory load. To my horror at the time I shot through a buck and hit a doe in the guts. Since I've had many through & throughs with 200gr RNs at 100yds or less.
    Ret_Eng and alphalimafoxtrot like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    When I first started deer hunting at 12yrs old and got the m8/35 I bought Rem pointed ammo. Why? I went to local Western Auto and looked at 35 Ammo, the pointed bullets looked meaner or something. They worked slick in the #8. I never bought a second box because the older guys set me straight. I have gotten pointed factory ammo with 35 rifles I have bought and shot it up plinking in
    14s & 141s and it functioned slick as a whistle. Off bags when my lookers were still in good shape at 60yds I could shoot 2" groups with 200gr RN. With pointed bullets about 3". I only know that because I had to proove it to Bro one time. I had a strange dislike for RN bullets when I was young. I think to beginners they look crude. I have a 1895 Win 30-06 that won't shoot Spitzer bullets of any kind or load. You stick 180Rns in it and the Devil goes to Georgia, it will drive tacks. RN bullets may look clunky but for hunting purposes in some rifles they are hard to beat. The first rifle deer I shot as a kid was with a 200gr RN Rem factory load. To my horror at the time I shot through a buck and hit a doe in the guts. Since I've had many through & throughs with 200gr RNs at 100yds or less.
    The 200 gr RNs have done very well for me. I have only used them on whitetails to date but have gotten 4 DRT deer so far. They preform so well that I leave the 30-30s at the house come huntin' season.
    Last edited by Ret_Eng; 05-17-2019 at 11:21 AM.
    alphalimafoxtrot likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links