35 remington equal to 375 winchester ?????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 35 remington equal to 375 winchester ?????

Tenderfoot
    Member #

35 remington equal to 375 winchester ?????

I don't know much about the 375 other than the published ballistics but it appears that the 375 will push a 200gr bullet at about 2200fps.
    The 35 will do the same with a slightly smaller diameter bullet. Which should give a slightly better ballistic coefficient. Don't get me wrong I don't know much about ballistics I'm just trying to understand if there is any benefit to the 375 over the 35. Its a curiosity thing more than any think else.
    Have a good day.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: 35 remington equal to 375 winchester ?????

Don't know. 375/38-55 makes a slightly bigger hole though. The 375/38-55 is easier to reload for. I like them both.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

If the shooter does his/her job I doubt that a deer could tell the difference.
    "Hunt close, then get closer."
    Team .444 -- Member #22

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

In .358 diameter I have 44 different calibers listed in one program I have. There are small differences in each of them. It is what pleases the beholder.
    BOT GBUSA, Charter member team 444.
    Life member NRA, Life member WAC.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

So one could expect performance to be basically the same.?
    Power and trajectory are about the same then?

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

The .375/38-55 have a wider meplat available which means larger wound channels. I would be very hard pressed to say which would be better. In a 220gn I would think the .35 would have a slight edge in BC and all the good things that come with that. Sectional density would also be better. Now after you get past 220gn bullets the .375 takes over which is what it should do. Kind of like the old .444 45-70 debate very moot up to a certain overlap.

Up Elk, with either.

Super Moderator
    Member #

The two cases are fairly close in capacity. In actuality the .35 Remington has somewhat more.

Thus, given the same pressures, they should be pretty close in velocity with the same weight bullets, with the slight edge in bullet diameter the .375 has as a pressure release valve being offset by the .35 Remington's slightly greater case capacity.

The rub is pressures. Many of the .35 Remington factory loads are quite mild, while handloading data, depending upon source, runs the .375 up quite high, comparatively, as to pressure. The .35 Remington handloading data? Most recently, not so much. The pressures for handloaded .375 data is not as high as allowed for a bolt action rifle, but quite noticeably higher than what .35 Remington factory loads or most handloads run as to pressure.

Since the .375 Marlins are not significantly different from the .35 Remington Marlins as to strength, it is reasonable to ask why the .35 Remington could not also be loaded to the same pressures.

Some of us asked that question quite a long time ago, and I'm confident we have answered it correctly in practical effect.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

There was an article in HANDLOADER magazine with hot loads in a Rem. 600 or 660in .35 Rem. You may want to research that.
    B.C would have little influnce on calibers like the .35 Rem. and .375 Win. due to their usual short range use. Sectional Density would as the higher the S.D. the better (deeper) penetration all else being equal.

Solution to the problem---------BUY ONE OF EACH !!!

Hipshot

P.S. I've have a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. for years and have shot deer with both cast and jacketed bullets. I have recently bought a Win. Big Bore in .375 win. only 15 rounds fired through it ($150.00) with 25 rds. of ammo. I'm casting bullets for it and hope to shoot a doe with it next month. It shoots cast boolets pretty well, I haven't shot any factory ammo out of it yet nor the 220 gr. Hornadys that I bought.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Undergroundammo,
    I have an 1885 Browning Traditional Hunter single shot in 38-55, which I have Saeco molds for, in 240, 265 and 300 grain.
    I know at least that the 300's would not work in a friends levergun, but they sure a hoot in the single shot. And at mild velocities, they do make use of the second (tang) sight.
    I chased the mighty whitetail with it, but no luck that weekend. Will be trying again this season. As far as the 38-55 vs the 35 Remington? Given the levergun platform for both and FACTORY loads, I would place my bets on the 35. That's a tough question.
    Bestboss
    I have given up reality for Lever actions, Jeeps and have a wife that understands. It's a better world!
    Team 30-30 #236. Team 1894 #187.

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

I have had both, and couldn't tell a whit's worth of difference between them from the back end. Conversely, no deer on the planet would know the difference between a 220-grain .375 bullet at 2000 fps or a 200-grain .358 bullet at 2100. They are ballistically so close than only the coolness factor or personal preference would make one choose either over the other. As for accuracy, I got 1-holers with both. Personally, I preferred the 375 because it was a beautiful rifle, but I knew it deserved to be hunted with, so I sold it to a buddy. Since he has yet to hunt with it, I plan on buying it back, and spanking a large pig with it. Maybe I'll trade him the 35 Remington............nah. I like them both enough to have one of each. And I suggest the same for you!

The obligatory targets, to make my point about accuracy...................first the 35 Remmy

Then the 375..........both at 50 yards.

I'd start with the prettiest one you can find in either caliber.

PJ
    "Any black kid from the projects available to shout 'how dare you' about six times in front of the UN? Maybe then these virtue-signaling, good-for-nothing, leftist politicians and celebrities will jump to fix the neighborhoods that have been devastated by their policies." —Candace Owens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links