Problem with Lever

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Problem with Lever

Have a Marlin 30 /30 with cross bolt safety- at times when cycle lever the hammer goes back but cannot be released . The safety piece of wire is not being depressed by the lever. I have to recock it-shell exits and then most times the lever will depress the safety wire and I can release the hammer till I need to pull back to fire the gun.
    One gunsmith said that the shells differ in tolerance on head and that may be the problem- but I doubt it
    I am shooting winchester and remington shells. Any help as to why it periodically does this or what this answer may be. Thanks

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    If by safety wire you mean the lever safety, it sounds like the lever safety is not being pressed up by the lever. Look behind the trigger, there is a small pin the comes out a hole. That pin is really a little device that blocks the trigger so the gun won't fire if the lever is not closed all the way. The next time it won't go boom, make sure your lever is closed all the way and it is pushing up that little pin. You don't have to recock the gun, just look at it and see. If the lever is closed all the way and it still won't work, you'll need to pull the stock off and look inside to see what's wrong with her. Good luck.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    You are right as to what is happening- the problem is that you cannot get the lever to depress the safety wire with force and the hammer will not release. When you recycle the lever and-shell ejects-and a new shell enters the chamber then most of the time, the hammer is able to be released ,awaiting being pulled back for shooting at the target.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Uzi
    Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    The gunsmith could be right about what's happening. Factory ammunition varies a lot more than you might think in case length and overall length. If a particular cartridge is long enough so that the bolt has pushed the cartridge all the way up to the lands and the bolt face is tight against the end of the cartridge before the bolt has traveled to its most forward position, that would prevent you from completely closing the bolt and you would see the problem you are seeing. There are a couple of things you could do to test his theory. The first is to measure the length of the offending cartridges to see if they are longer than the others. Second, feed the same cartridge(s) back into the magazine and see it it happens with that same bullet again. If neither of these things is true, then his theory is false and you will have to look elsewhere for the source of the problem and perhaps a new gunsmith, since he could have tested this himself.
    Last edited by Uzi; 01-09-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thanks so much for your advice. I certainly will try that approach and see what happens.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links