4 more 35 REM questions.(reloading)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tinhorn
    Member #

I'm going to reload for my 35.
    1. Does any body make a good .358 cast bullet? If so, what weight?
    2. I'm partial to Hornady in jacketed since there a local company for me. Is the 200gr a good bullet for general use?
    3.I have IMR4198 and H4198 powders. Can they be a good choice?
    Thanks for any replies.
    Chad

Sidewinder
    Member #

#1 - www.beartoothbullets.com
    #2 - Better off using 200 gr Rem. Hornady jacket is a little too tough for the 35 Rem.
    #3 - H335 or H4895 are better choices for 200 grain bullets.

Member #

Labrat, I guess we all have opinions but I have had great luck with Hornady bullets in my .336 in .35 Remington. But I must temper that with the fact that I do like Hornady products and use thier bullets in reloading for several calibers, again personal preferance and opinion. I used to use the Winchester Silvertips and had great luck with them but have switched over to Hornady in my reloading. By the way, what you hunt and where you hunt has much to do with bullet selection as well as the load (velocity) used. I hunt in Northern Maine where it is not uncommon for a buck to top 200 lbs dressed weight...However none of the smaller deer I have shot ( 1 shot each, through the neck) have complained about the terminal effects of the Hornady bullet....<><.... (By the way, I just re-read your question, I guess this is an answer to a question you did not ask, sorry.)

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #

Forget about .358 diameter cast bullets, especially if you have a Microgroove barreled gun. I suggest .360", and good luck finding any in that diameter. Marlin Microgroove barrels often run a little oversized and that is the one and only reason some people can't get them to shoot cast bullets. Most that claim Microgroove won't shoot lead haven't tried. The rest of those that tried and failed simply didn't shoot a large enough bullet diameter. It's as simple as that.

Even if you are fortunate enough to have a gun that measures on the tight side (.358") .358" diameter bullets are a little small. Dave (7-30) mentioned Beartooth, and that is because they know the .35 calibers and offer larger diameters. Get the larger diameters if you can-I haven't checked lately, but I think they offered in .3595." Don't ask me why it's in a half thousandth increment. If you can't get bigger try for at least .359" and cross your fingers. I'd buy a few first and see how they shoot before you go whole hog on a big order.

Generally, you want cast bullets to be a little oversize. The idea is to help fill up the throat so the bullet suffers less distortion. Lead bullets are very unforgiving if the bullet is even a thousandth too small. My .45-70 will throw bullets sideways if they are a thousandth smaller than bore diameter. It is a Microgroove as well. Standard "Ballard" rifling won't shoot any better if the bullet is undersized, so don't be misled by the claims that it's better with lead than Microgroove.

It all comes down to bullet fit. If you find the right size, it will shoot.

Super Moderator
    Member #

Forgot to address the other issues.

The Hornady will work in the .35. The 200 Remington Core-Lokt Dave (7-30) mentioned is a little better, for the reason he stated. As range increases it's a lot better. I'll tell you why I know that, in very thorough fashion, in a few weeks.

IMR 4198 will work as long as bullet weights are 200 grains or less, but slower burning powders are better choices for greater velocity potential, lower pressures at the same or greater velocity and for the fact that most fill the case with appropriate charges. IMR 4198 is a lot less position sensitive than most other powders I can name, though, so don't be put off by the last reason too much.

I have used IMR 4198 with pretty good success as long as I didn't go faster than 2000 fps with 200's. That will duplicate most factory loads. Don't use it to go faster than that. Good cast bullet powder for reduced loads as well.

Site Contributor - Team Marlin Express Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

LabRat,
    Well I might as well muddy the water a little more.
    I have never shot cast out of mine so I cant help you there.

as far as the Hornady 200 gr RN it is a great bullet out of the 35 Rem. I shot a large doe this past fall at about 200 yards with that bullet and it worked great. Deer is in the freezer. As far as the 200grain Rem bullet, I believe it is made by Hornady. At any rate you can not go wrong with the Hornady bullet.

As far as powders go I didnt get that great of groups or velocity with the 4198 powders. The H335, AA2520, and AA2015BR powders all shot very well and had good velocities.

Good luck. Let us know what you come up with.
    IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KILLED IN ACTION 23 APR 07, AGE 19, MUQUDADIYAH, IRAQ.

Super Moderator
    Member #

Hornady does not make the 200 grain Core-Lokt. Reference John Barsness in an edition of Handloader a few isssues back. The construction and appearance and design of the 200 Core-Lokt and the 200 Hornady is not at all alike. Trust me on that one. I've disected and examined more than a few, including the most recent production.

Hornady has made some bullets for Remington, including the 140 PSP in 7mm (this bullet weighed 139 grains, the same as the Hornady bullet). I also have some 190 grain boattail .30 PSP's that Hornady was selling as rejects that have the Remington PSP nose, with everything else Hornady. It's just that the 200 Core-Lokt is not one of them.

I didn't say the Hornady wouldn't kill a deer at 200 yards. I did say that as the range increases it does not work nearly as well as the Remington. To add a little more information and to clarify, it will expand at ranges the Hornady will not when both are launched at the same speed. Of the two, the Remington bullet is superior.

It's okay to say one bullet is better than another. Many .35 bullets are constructed with some other caliber than .35 Remington as their intended launch platform, so some don't work as well as might be expected.

To resolve the issue for yourself, do some testing of your own and discover some of the things I have mentioned here.

Member #

35 Remimgton,
    As far as testing with the Remington and Hornady bullets I have shot both. They both shoot well no difference in accuracy. And as far as bullet performance I can tell you that the Hornady bullet works fine at 200 yards. A dead deer is a dead deer. As far as the expansion, the bullet went clean through and left a larger hole on it's way out. Maby the Remington bullet would have been more superior in killing the deer I have no idea. At any rate it was toast before it hit the ground.

As far as the Remington bullet I have nothing against them. I have 500 of them waiting to be shot. It doesnt matter to me if I shoot the Hornady or Remington bullets the accuracy was the same.

As far as the Remington bullet looking different than the Hornady. I have bought several reject bullets from Hornady that were made for other companies like Remington that were not like the hornady bullets. I have a bunch of 7mm 140 grain Protective points that Hornady made for Remington. There is no Hornady bullet like it either. Anyway I think either bullet is good enough to get the job done.
    IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KILLED IN ACTION 23 APR 07, AGE 19, MUQUDADIYAH, IRAQ.

Super Moderator
    Member #

I know about Hornady making bullets for other manufacturers/ammo makers, especially with Remington. I don't live all that far from the Hornady plant, and on the way out west to visit friends in Ogallala I'd stop by the plant and pick up some of their "rejects" that would have only small blemishes on them, for around 4-6 dollars per box. They have fewer rejects now and they cost more.

The 200 Core-Lokt bullet is one of the few still made the old way by Remington. Has a thicker midsection and a skived jacket with cuts in the corner of the scalloped nose. I could not get the bullet to fail at any range, point blank to 200 yards, and I was really trying, shooting it at speeds from 1960 to 2200 fps. Tried this with factory loads and bullets available as handloading components.

I have shot game with the Hornday bullet myself, and it is every bit as accurate as the Remington bullet in my guns, or maybe a little more accurate. It works on game as well. It holds together well with the Interlock feature. At longer ranges a difference becomes apparent, but you could probably shoot it for years at all average ranges and never have a complaint.

It's just that people sometimes ask about differences between the bullets, and I tell them what I know. After that, I figure they try it for themselves and form their own opinions. Giving all manufacturer's products a try before forming that opinion is as fair as it is possible to be.

While we're on topic, how fast do you shoot your Hornady bullets in the .35?

Member #

35 Remington,
    The load I shoot for the 336CS is with 37.5 grains of AA2520 The average MV was 2056 FPS with and extreme spread of 12.4 FPS with a standard dev of 6.5. I had loads with better MV but not near as accurate. That load shot one large hole at 50 yards with factory sights. That same load doesnt shoot worth a crap out of the 336D. I have a bunch of rounds loaded to go test but have not gotten it done yet. (Most of those with the rem bullet) because I'm about out of the Hornady rejects. I need to get back out there and get more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links