Marlin Firearms Forum banner

New (G)RemLin 336BL

2K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Redthies 
#1 ·
So I sold a couple of semi-autos recently as our current government here in Canada is looking at banning a bunch of things. My M1 Carbine was 99% likely to be going to a “prohibited” status, and even 10-22s are shrouded in uncertainty.

I replaced the M1 with a brand new 336BL. It’s primary roll will be short to moderate range deer hunting. I have yet to shoot it, but I stripped it down to nothing, and polished up all the moving parts, and lightened up the lever safety spring and the trigger spring and cleaned all the manufacturing debris out of it. I’m (using the “butt dyno”) at around 3 lbs on the trigger. Things are much smoother now.

My only complaint is that the rear dovetail is nowhere near straight. How the hell does this STILL happen? I swapped in the factory rear off my 1895GS and confirmed it is in fact the dovetail that’s crooked. I have a rail mounted, and 1-4x20 Nikon scope on the way, so it’s not a huge deal, but it is definitely a bit annoying.

Pics of it in the work tray, and disassembled.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think it is ridiculous that Remington hasn't figured that out yet. When I go to Scheeels (a large sporting good store) there is only one out of maybe three or four remlins that I would even consider buying. I was recently looking at a ss 1895 that had a price tag of near $1000 that the front sight was off center and there was almost no contact on the recoil flats.

Looking forward to a range report.

#5 ·
Famous Grouse scotch and soda. The way my pappy used to drink it. That was the unboxing night. The smithing was done with a whiskey sour. Kentucky bourbon in it. My wife has recently come to enjoy Woodford Reserve, but I’m a Bushmills drinker from way back. Irish whiskey just goes down so damn easy! I’ve never been too fond of rye. My brother owns a distillery though, so I may convert to the local stuff!

https://www.legenddistilling.com/

#9 ·
I have one of those installed on my 1895GS. I had one for my .357 Henry too, but it didn’t fit the barrel profile very well. Since this is primarily a hunting gun, I want to keep a rear sight on it in case I have an issue with the scope while in the bush. It’s still useable I think, just irritating that they are still sending out things with pretty obvious substandard fit and finish. I’m contemplating a Skinner dovetail peep, which it won’t show as much with, and will be better all around.

You can’t see the filler in this pic unless you look REALLY close, but you can see the Cloverleaf, and it’s just a nice Marlin shot...

Attachments

#7 ·
Responsible companies spend a lot of money on salaries for people to monitor QC and solicit and analyze customer feedback. Remington could log on here for free.

Sorry for your dovetail issues, but really sorry about the changing laws you're having to deal with. Same thing in the States.

BTW - I have a bunch of brothers. Not ONE owns a distillery. So, all is not lost in your world.

Keith

#10 ·
Going down to pickup my Nikon in a few minutes, and just ordered one of Andy’s LoPro 2 peeps to put in the dovetail. I won’t notice the angle with the round peep!

Attachments

Reactions: gunscrewguy
#14 ·
That’s putting it mildly... Do you think they are oblivious, or just don’t give a crap?

Reactions: Angus1895
#13 ·
Scope is on. I’m liking it. It sits a bit high using the QD rings I have, but I’m going to give it a whirl as is before I go and buy lower rings. Ideally, these will work fine, and I’ll be able to take the scope off and use the new Skinner I ordered if needed.

I also cleaned 4 other lever guns, a bolt and my semi-auto waterfowl gun. Some were long overdue, but none were really dirty. I will just sleep better knowing they are all cleaned and oiled up.

Pic on the bench, and with some of it’s safe-mates...

Attachments

#15 ·
I have a remlin 45-70 with a scope it shoots very accurate. I have a stainless 30/30 remlin I have not shot much yet. My question how stigmatized are the end of the line real Marlins? I have the impression the 2005-2007 Marlins are less desirable?

please correct me if I am in error.

#21 ·
You are very much in error. The trouble starts in 2010, when Marlin North Haven was shut down for good and operations were moved to Ilion, New York. If you want to research the story go to the RANT thread. It's all in there, some written by Connecticut Marlin employees.

#20 ·
Yeah, I like laminate for a working gun.

I recieved my Skinner Lo Pro II today, and am working on getting it filed down a wee bit to fit the dovetail.

I have to add a serious thank you to Andy at Skinner. They shipped my sight out back in late January, and it made it to the local distribution center on the 2nd of Feb, and in 11 days, it hadn’t made it another 20 mins down the road. Andy shipped me a second sight and it arrived two days later. It certainly wasn’t his doing that caused the first one to disappear, but he sure made good on others shortcomings!

Skinner Skinner chicken dinner!

#18 ·
I have paid premium + for a couple of 336 JM 's one a Texan (1977) great shape ..the other a regular 336 (1976) with a few scratches on the barrel I have bout $ 875.00 in both of'em ..I think I have done OK... I was offered $600.00 for my Texan .. I turned it down ,fast... I still lean paying premium for a used JM..

Reactions: gunscrewguy
#23 ·
I almost bought a Remlin 1894C in 44 magnum a couple of months ago at the gun show and then found a JM 44 that looked brand new, for less, so I went that route. I'm glad I did after this post. I thought they had this kind of stuff worked out by now, but I guess not.

#24 ·
I’m heading to the range Saturday (hopefully) and things are more or less ready to go. I added a Pioneer Gunworks lever wrap which is one of my favorite things for lever guns. Otherwise I’m calling it “done” for now. Hopefully it shoots well and I can get the Skinner and Nikon 1-4x both dialed in.

Attachments

Reactions: Lever Jac
#26 ·
Thats the beauty of the peep. It’s round so it won’t matter if the dovetail is slightly canted. I’ll definitely post up some results!

#27 ·
I got the new BL out to the range today. The 55 mph winds made for some entertaining times, as our plywood target stands kept blowing away! I couldn’t find my big paper target from the sight-in as it was torn off the plywood (I only had 8 staples in it!), so only have one target from it. The three in the center 1” diamond and just right of it are standing leaning on a post (tree) at 50 yards with Hornady LeverEvolution 160 grain FTX. The three to the left are from seated but hand held with Federal Classic 150 grain.

The 1.5” tape squares are from my new .22 Ruger bolt gun. 10 shots at 30 yards with CCI Match Pistol ammo off bipod. Pretty happy with those given the wind!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.