Tried a bore snake for the first time. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Tried a bore snake for the first time.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M700 View Post
    Speaking of insects, I read years ago about some hunters in Africa with their big bore rifles... One, a 458 Win Mag I believe, was leaning up against a tree, and fortunately someone noticed a wasp or hornet of some sort coming out of the muzzle...

YUP! It had started building a nest inside the barrel, and the barrel was partially obstructed. The owner must have been delighted to clean it out with a rod, instead of sending a full power 500 gr bullet into the obstructed bore. Yikes!

Guy
    I guess a bore snake could be the only snake I could truly love ....

Yup, these wasps like round cavities and they make a sticky ball of mud with some biological juices and grit. They build their nests out of this goo in hollows and holes and rifle/gun barrels and it hardens like a brick.
    A snake isn't going to get that out .... I'll still take my rod along, but a quick handy strip with a snake will be fine if no hard crud is inside.
    Gareth Holland and northmn like this.

" a tired warrior aims a little higher"

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I also have them, but very rarely use them. I still favour rods and have a full set, in sections with brushes in my shooting bag.
    Yooper and redhawk0 like this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    They are nice in that after a while they get dirty and can be cleaned with hot and soapy water to remove the oils.
    I have them in multiple bore diameters.
    hwew and Gareth Holland like this.
    Always better to carry "too much" gun and too many cartridges...
    Marlin 1894SS(2009), Winchester 1886 Ultralight rifle(1910), Springfield Trapdoor carbine(1880), Sharps carbine(1863), Savage 99 358 Winchester.
    I like big calibers

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have been using Wipe Out or Patch Out for cleaning my rifles.Put it in the barrel and let it sit for a couple hours or if really bad over night.Push a half dozen patches through the bore and all lead ,copper and powder fouling is removed without using a bore brush.
    The older I get, the better I was!!!
    TEAM 375

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Bill put them in a washing bag the type with a neck tie and pop them in the washing machine with YOUR togs not the wife's. They come out like new work clothes do have an interesting aroma. Gar.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Bore snakes are a great addition to cleaning with patches and solvents. I use them for quick cleanups, especially in my 22's and shotguns.
    Gareth Holland likes this.
    ​~ Mike
    <*)(((((>{

Captain Team Shotgun, Captain Handgun Team Semi-Auto
    Teams 30-30, 45-70, 35 Rem, 44-40, Wheelguns

Wrangler
    Member #
    I like bore snakes for immediate, quick cleaning while the barrel is warm at the range. I run them dry and give the firearm a good cleaning and oiling when I get home. This removes most of the big stuff and speeds up the cleaning process at home. Some people use them for rifle cleaning exclusively and report good results. I prefer more traditional methods but won't poo poo others for doing different. Their firearm and money and I don't pay their bills.

The point of them not being good for bore obstructions is a valid one but there are collapsible rods that one can carry in their hunting vest or range bag for such instances. The rod sections are cabled together and become rigid when the cable is tightened down. This is the one I use. There may be others. https://www.amazon.com/Atsko-SNO-SEA...9739542&sr=8-1

The Otis kits were also mentioned. I like those for hunting and camping trips for cleaning while away from home. Busting through brush and climbing up and down hills can get things dirty. Armalite sells a kit like Otis but for AR style rifles, they sell kits that fit in the pistol grip for field cleaning with them. https://www.armalite.com/product-category/tools-2/

Lots of options and all are good for different scenarios and conditions.
    Last edited by sgtsandman; 01-23-2020 at 09:17 PM.
    (AUG) 1960-61 Western Auto Revelation 200 in .30-30 Wincherster
    2003 Marlin 1895GS in .45/70 Government

Team .30-30 #1255
    Team .45/70 #1603
    Team Semi-Auto #37
    Team Wheel Gun #53

Life member of the FOAC, GOA, PA Rifle & Pistol Association, NRA, and USCCA
    Member of NAGR

The National Guard: The ORIGINAL Department of Homeland Security since 1636.

Deadeye
    Member #
    A great field kit. I use them all the time.
    sgtsandman likes this.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Solomon

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I've been a fan of the commercially available bore snakes for the last 15 years or so - between handguns, rifles and pistols, I think I have 8 different models. But, I think what I learned to clean a bore with about 60 years ago was probably the predecessor to today's bore snake. We used a sufficient length of old style braided fishing line with a bobby pin tied on one end for the weight and a patch of flannel tied on the other end. Since there was no bristles on the patch, we soaked it with WD-40. That "solvent" snake got used first, then the dry snake for mop-up got used. Finally, the snake with a dab of 3-1 oil got through to finish up.
    Good old days

jd
    Gareth Holland and OLBIKER like this.
    Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!!

Team 30-30 #939
    Team Rossi #5
    Team Wheelguns #44

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    700 and Sambane mentioned crud that a snake will not touch. Recently I place a rifle on a deer stand platform before limbing up and the darn thing same down muzzle first and had crud in it. I ended up cutting off a piece of brush and trimming it and pushing the stuff out from the breech. Just stirred up a memory is all. I read about the same incident and cannot remember if it was Capstick or Robertson.

DEP

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links