Custom magaxine tube
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Custom magaxine tube

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Custom magaxine tube

I am thinking about purchasing either a 308 express or a 338 caliber. I like the look of the equal length barrel and magazine tube. I want a lever action that I can use for 200 to 300 yard shots that will work hogs as well as deer. I like the look of the midwest industries M-lok rail
    But it would look silly on a 24 inch barrel.

I’m contemplating having a barrel cut to 20 inches and I would like to have an equal length magazine tube. Does anybody know if this can be accomplished and if so who can do it? I haven’t use the Marlin custom shop before but I would assume they are very expensive.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Welcome to MO from Midcoast Maine. I am sure that other members will have the info that you are looking for.
    ​~ Mike
    <*)(((((>{

Captain Team Shotgun, Captain Handgun Team Semi-Auto
    Teams 30-30, 45-70, 35 Rem, 44-40, Wheelguns

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Just use a mag tube from any model with such.
    336W parts are all over the place and cheap. Should be just the ticket (for an MX, but not the MXLR), but may need minor modifications if you stick with the tip cap style fore-end of the MX.
    Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your rusted masses yearning to live again,
    The wretched refuse of your humid closet.
    Send me the partless, broken-stocked,
    The Marlins in need of new life...

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Welcome from SW Ohio.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Expecting 300 yard performance on big game with any tube magazine rifle is unrealistic. Two hundred yards is a pretty far poke for such rifles.
    Gareth Holland and Tomray like this.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Expecting 300 yard performance on big game with any tube magazine rifle is unrealistic. Two hundred yards is a pretty far poke for such rifles.
    I generally agree, depending on ones dedication. Some BP cartridge shooters make some pretty long shots with them out in the field but they often carry range finders and then adjust the sights. Same for someone wanting to use a specific type of rifle like the Marlins. I would definitely not cut off the barrel. There have been several variation of magazine tubes through the years and Winchester even had the "button" magazines where the end of the tube just stuck out of the forearm. One I would not mind using.

For that type of shooting, however, it is better to use cartridges and rifles made for the job. When I hunt over hay fields I prefer a good bolt in my 6.5 Creedmoor and used to use a 270. Not saying there's anything special about the 6.5 CM, I just like it. One could use the Hornady LE bullets and get something of a gain. The 308 or 338 Marlin Express were designed to give increased range. If I insisted on a lever I would get a Henry Long Ranger or a Browning. Detachable magazines are much handier.

I prefer to use the tool for the job.

DEP
    Gareth Holland likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    We must be in alternate universes.
    In the one in which I live, a tubular magazine doesn't cause a temporal vortex and atomic recombination event that neuters all cartridges inserted into it.

Are you in the one where all animals have grown armor plating over the last 100 years, too? Where hunters need a .338 Lapua to kill deer ten feet below their tree stand, and the minimum requirement for shooting over bait is .300 Win Mag? Where the only the bullets that can travel more than 50 yards are all 6.5 mm? And where all lever guns are inaccurate piles of crap, simply because they're lever guns?

I've heard a lot about that one, and read plenty about it on the internet. Must be a helluva place to live...
    Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your rusted masses yearning to live again,
    The wretched refuse of your humid closet.
    Send me the partless, broken-stocked,
    The Marlins in need of new life...

Sidewinder
    Member #
    AMEN Frankenmauser!
    This is the age old debate of shooters vs hunters. a lot of target shooters who think a 1 1/2 inch group at 200 yards is a trashed out barrel not worthy for even scrap metal. I get it when millimeters are the difference between 1st place and disqualified in a accuracy contest. for some reasons a lot of "shooters" cannot wrap their mind around the fact a rifle need not be an Olympic target MOA to harvest a deer ethically.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    have my 35 rem sighted in at 1 inch high 100 yds good till 300 with a little holdover. I can also routinely hit pie plate groups at 300 yds with my 30-30

POPPYCOCK
    Marlinjunkie and flatsneck like this.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Lets look at the tables a bit. A 30-30 with a 24" barrel wil give about 2200 with a 170 grain bullet or 2300+ with a 150 grain bulet. With a 100 yard sight in it will drop about 28" at 300 yards. With a 200 about 16". The 200 yard sight in is about 3.5-4" high at 100 yards. If you know this sort of thing and know the range, hits at 300 yards can be made. We had one one contributer that was hitting silouettes at 400 yards with his 44-40. That was on a range at a known 400 yards of a bench. I have a range finder and when I sit in a stand I zero in on various landmarks so I can know about how far a deer. Also I have used some of these stands long enough so that they are about like going to a range. Making shot much over 200 yards with a 35 or 30-30 by estimating the range gets pretty tricky. Some have done it, but many don't. There are those that go out and shoot at rocks or other things in the off season that get pretty good at estimating range and maybe will do it. Bench rest shooters that just shoot at a range at known distances probably will not. I have seen too many bench rest shooters that think they can shoot that out in the field would miss a moose at 75 yards.

AS far as the use of other cartridges. My 6.5 CM is about the same thing as a 257 Roberts, another fine caliber. Calibers in that class are pleasant to shoot and perhaps some of the best deer calibers there are as they take a lot out of the guestimation in the field. No one said anything about magnums and there is no one I respect less than those that think they need them. The OP mentioned the 308 and 338 Marlins for his use. They were made for those that wanted to do what the OP wants to do. Hornady came out with the LE bullets which also permit longer range field shooting.

One or two deer harvested at longer range with a classic lever carbine does not make it an ideal choice for that use. Those flat nosed bullets kill at that range but are starting to look more anemic. A 170 grain bullet is going about 1400 fps at that range. Still works but then expansion starts dropping off. 150 grain bullets start to lose to the 170 after 100 yards. The round nosed 35 Remington is hardly making 1200 fps. These numbers are based on 24" barrel, the carbines lose a little more and often the ammo does not give what the tables say. Generally a carbine will give about 2100 fps with a 170 grain bullet. Chronograph one and see. Rifles using pointed bullets and a little more velocity started to take over pretty quick over the lever action calibers because of that. Look at history and general use. The Winchesters were pretty popular in my area during the depression but the ranges up North are generally more limited to their function. In my neck of the woods a 30-30 is not all bad as it will give me about 200 yards, which is about as far as I shoot. I like my bolts better because I shoot them better. I do not shoot off a bench rest to get tiny groups like many do, which is why I do not post groups. I hold my rifle with a hand rest to make sure it shoots to POI. Some that shoot off benches will have a rifle that shoots high. The hay fields can present longer shots and I shoot the bolts better at those ranges. Don't practice enough with the levers to be as comfortable doing so. Never shot any crows at 200 yards with a lever but I have with varmint rifles.

DEP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links