New 336 in 30-30 or not?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: New 336 in 30-30 or not?

Tenderfoot
    Member #

New 336 in 30-30 or not?

Apologies in advance if this is beating a dead horse all over again! I'm on the fence about a new 336c in 30-30. I like the look of the gun and the walnut. I like the price. And I like the caliber. I've read just about every review and watched every video online about the post-Remington 336 and it's got me sitting right on top of the fence. Gun writers have mostly nice things to say. But forum reviewers, not so much. A few years ago, folks seemed to think QC had gone away entirely and that you were better off buying a used pre-Remington rifle. I've only seen a couple more recent threads in which it looked like Remington had worked out many of the kinks. So here's what I'm hoping y'all can tell me based on actual experience:

1. Are rifles produced in the last year or two looking better across the board in terms of QC and fit/finish? I intend to hunt with the rifle, so I'm not worried about it being an heirloom, but I'd like to at least get what I pay for and not have to send it back before even using it. These aren't bank busters, but they're also not so cheap that wood should be poorly fit, etc.

2. Does the 336 still have (or did it really ever have) problems cycling Lever Evolution? I read a lot about .35 Remington problems, but more recently came across reports that 30-30 had major issues as well. (Again, this is a deer gun, so that would probably be a deal breaker.)

3. What material are the barrel bands made off on the 336c? And are there any issues with the barrel and tube being so close together? (I read about issues with cracks between them, which seems like a major, major safety issue in a brand new gun.)

Full disclosure: I've got a vintage Winchester 1892 in 32-20 and a much newer, AE version of the Model 94 in 25-35. Both of those guns work and look great. I'd like to branch out and add a Marlin to the collection and I'd like it to be a brand new gun. But not at the added expense of headaches. Because of the area I'm in, I'll likely be purchasing online and transferring to an FFL. So the ideal situation of seeing the specific rifle in advance probably isn't going to happen.

Thanks for your help!
    M

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Welcome from Alabama...

1. The last couple of years have seen an upswing in quality... I have 2 rifles made in 2018 and they have performed flawlessly...

2. The earlier model 336 rifles did not have the correct ammo follower in the mage tube so Hornady ammo cycling was problematic... The new ones all have the correct follower...

3. The barrel bands are made of steel... I have never had an issue with the barrel and tube being right next to each other...

4. I would never buy a new rifle without being able to go over it with a fine tooth comb... I said I have 2 good ones, I looked at 7 before I found the 2 I brought home... Granted I was nit picking but as you say, it's an expensive investment...
    Last edited by Scorpiusb; Yesterday at 10:28 PM.
    M700, Pig Ninja and jim716 like this.
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield, Team 1894

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I bought a new 1895 this year and am pleased with it.

Finish isn't as nice (wood or metal) as my old JM Marlins, but it's a good rifle. Looks decent, functions well, shoots great.

Guy
    miket156 and jim716 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpiusb View Post
    Welcome from Alabama...

1. The last couple of years have seen an upswing in quality... I have 2 rifles made in 2018 and they have performed flawlessly...

2. The earlier model 336 rifles did not have the correct ammo follower in the mage tube so Hornady ammo cycling was problematic... The new ones all have the correct follower...

3. The barrel bands are made of steel... I have never had an issue with the barrel and tube being right next to each other...

4. I would never buy a new rifle without being able to go over it with a fine tooth comb... I said I have 2 good ones, I looked at 7 before I found the 2 I brought home... Granted I was nit picking but as you say, it's an expensive investment...
    Thanks, Scorpius. That's good to hear on all fronts. I'm assuming the updated follower is in all models... including the BL? (For whatever reason, the cap just looks sharper to me than the band.) And would you say "new" counts at 2018 and forward?

Unrelated: I learned to hunt on a farm in Waverly, just a few miles from the Yellow Hammer restaurant. Small world!

Thanks again.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by clockworkgator View Post
    Thanks, Scorpius. That's good to hear on all fronts. I'm assuming the updated follower is in all models... including the BL? (For whatever reason, the cap just looks sharper to me than the band.) And would you say "new" counts at 2018 and forward?

Unrelated: I learned to hunt on a farm in Waverly, just a few miles from the Yellow Hammer restaurant. Small world!

Thanks again.
    I don't know exactly when they started using the updated follower but my 2000 336W has one... And yes, all models...

Yup, Waverly isn't to far away, for sure...
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield, Team 1894

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I just had an experience with a JM and would have been happier with a new one. Contrary to what some have preached, JM's are not a guarantee. I have 4 older Marlins, All JM's that are very good, but 2 are special models and one is as old as I am. All have Ballard rifling. There was a short period of growing pains with MG where they had issues shooting cast due to the throat I believe. Buy a new one and you will have a warranty. I went in and saw a new Texan and thought about it for some time. It was purchased before I got it, but I took a while to think about it. Wood to metal fit is cosmetic and often can be fixed. As to smoothness of action. To unload a Marlin you have to work the lever. Over time they all smooth out a bit just from loading and unloading.

At this time, based on reports I have been reading and my experience with my latest JM, I would opt for a new one with factory warranty. I would not get the one with the cheap scope as glass is too important.

DEP
    M700 likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Marlin Design

Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    I just had an experience with a JM and would have been happier with a new one. Contrary to what some have preached, JM's are not a guarantee. I have 4 older Marlins, All JM's that are very good, but 2 are special models and one is as old as I am. All have Ballard rifling. There was a short period of growing pains with MG where they had issues shooting cast due to the throat I believe. Buy a new one and you will have a warranty. I went in and saw a new Texan and thought about it for some time. It was purchased before I got it, but I took a while to think about it. Wood to metal fit is cosmetic and often can be fixed. As to smoothness of action. To unload a Marlin you have to work the lever. Over time they all smooth out a bit just from loading and unloading.

At this time, based on reports I have been reading and my experience with my latest JM, I would opt for a new one with factory warranty. I would not get the one with the cheap scope as glass is too important.

DEP
    I finally broke down and bought a Henry Long Ranger. I know that there is no similar Marlin design with a box magazine and 6.5 CRD, so for a comparison between brands its apples to oranges. But if I was in the market for a 30-30/45-70 I understand that the Henry center fire 30-30 is a direct copy of the Marlin 336 action. I realize its stepping out of line so to speak, but the Henry comes with a lifetime warranty and I have heard their service is very good too. The Henry rifles I have seen look good quality wise and the checkering and walnut quality is super. BTW I currently own two JM center fire Marlins, a 35 and a 444 and a 782 22 Mag. I was a true believer, but the current Marlin products, well you know, it can be a crap shoot.
    northmn likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I have a 336w, bought new this year, DOM was Jan 19, and am totally satisfied with it.
    northmn and miket156 like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Speaking to Henry’s customer service regarding to warranty service, I can say it is exceptional. I love my Henry’s. I love my JM Marlins. However, I have a 2015 Marlin 1895G and have no complaints. I would be confident that the current productions rifles have worked out QC issues just as much as any other manufacturer.
    M700 likes this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kamml View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post

DEP
    I finally broke down and bought a Henry Long Ranger. I know that there is no similar Marlin design with a box magazine and 6.5 CRD, so for a comparison between brands its apples to oranges. But if I was in the market for a 30-30/45-70 I understand that the Henry center fire 30-30 is a direct copy of the Marlin 336 action. I realize its stepping out of line so to speak, but the Henry comes with a lifetime warranty and I have heard their service is very good too. The Henry rifles I have seen look good quality wise and the checkering and walnut quality is super. BTW I currently own two JM center fire Marlins, a 35 and a 444 and a 782 22 Mag. I was a true believer, but the current Marlin products, well you know, it can be a crap shoot.
    I really like the look of the Long Ranger and my primary bolt gun is already a 6.5. But I promised myself this would be a traditional lever gun! They sure are tempting though. (Any issue with feeding/ejecting? I've read some negative reports about the 6.5 version having issues the longer action cals don't?)

On a semi-related note: would the loss in muzzle vel from a 20" to the 18.5 in 30-30 be negligible? Inside of 200, it sure seems that way?

M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links