336 SC peep
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: 336 SC peep

Tenderfoot
    Member #

336 SC peep

Williams 5D-94-36 Receiver Sight

Is this what I want? Just purchased a really nice 1949 waffletop 32 special and want to add a peep sight to it without any new holes. Been looking and researching and this seems to be just the ticket. Or...…..I am full of bull feathers and on the wrong trail.
    vt4ster and lever30 like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    That peep will work or the William FP peep which is what I have on a '52 336RC in 32 Win SPL. A Lyman 66 will work as well--have one of those on a '52 336SC 35 Rem. Both of these will fit into the two holes already drilled into the left side of the receiver.
    Last edited by Ret_Eng; 10-23-2019 at 07:13 AM.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Get the one for a 94 Winchester the ones listed for Marlin are designed to fit in the rear sope mounting holes that a waffletop does not have. The one you have listed in fine print. The 5D is probably all you need for a 32 Special as it is likely used with one bullet weight. If you switch between cast and jacketed then the FP is better.

DEP
    vt4ster and lever30 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Let me offer this suggestion. When in doubt call the people who know.

Tele# 800-530-9028. Williams Sight Co.

Tell them what you have and want. They in turn will tell you what you need. That`s why they have an 800 number.

I`ve been advised by them more than once.
    The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Perfect. Thank you guys. I have a bid on the Williams on fleabay right now. Might win it, might not. If not I will give Williams a call and get their take. Never even considered doing that. Good idea. I have a "work the lever" day coming tomorrow. Taking the SC, not shot it yet, my .35 Remington, an 1895 Savage (the original Savage Lever action, made by Marlin for the first few years) in .303 Savage and maybe something else to send some stuff down range. Gonna be chilly in the morning so the atmosphere will be perfect. I always thought I didn't own a Marlin until recently but then I realized that with two 1895 Savages, JM stamp and all, I actually owned two.
    cajun56 and vt4ster like this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    The 5D's machined shape of the bottom of the cross bar touches the angled top edges of the Marlin receivers keeping the peep from its lowest setting. You can easily file a new angle on each underside bevel to fix it. Does Williams know this?...YES, but decided not to change anything in their machining. Other than that I like the adjustability of the Williams system and really would add the optional target adjusting knobs. I have Williams side mounted 5D's on several Marlins and have had to go with a taller front sight on most. The Marbels front beads are available in all kinds of size, height and bead materials and are very reasonably priced, but I find the XS front sight post with the brilliant vertical white stripe to be outstandingly easy to use and accurate.
    vt4ster, cajun56 and gunscrewguy like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I just posted a similar issue with my new to me FP 94/36 sight. I had an older FP 36 that matched the contour of the receiver but it went away on the gun it was mounted to. The 94/36 is the one you want whether FP (click adjustable) or 5D (slot adjustment). If you see an older FP 36 get it! I just got done filing my later FP 94/36 to match the contour of my 1948 SC. The earlier FP 36 also has a stop screw (memory) which the later version left out.

The 5D or FP 336 is the one that uses the top drilled and tapped scope mount holes which as stated earlier are absent on a Waffletop.
    vt4ster, cajun56 and gunscrewguy like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I'd look at the Foolproof over the 5-D, as the Foolproof is much easier to adjust when sighting in. The 5-D is a little more difficult as you have to loosen two screws and slide the aperture one direction or the other, and when I did it, I slid it too far in the direction I wanted it to go, and when trying to move it back, I usually slid it too far the other direction. The screws on the Foolproof are precise and just plan easier to adjust, similar to the adjustments on a scope. The Foolproof is just a superior sight.
    Lever Jac and cajun56 like this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Did that. They were very helpful. Even knew what a waffletop is. Anyhow, FP94/36 is what they recommended and one is on the way. Tried to order one from Ebay. Complete disaster. Seller had no clue what he had. The sight in the package was not what was listed on the package and it had an extra hole drilled in it. I am sure what he sent me was either the 5D 80 or 81. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Sav .250 View Post
    Let me offer this suggestion. When in doubt call the people who know.

Tele# 800-530-9028. Williams Sight Co.

Tell them what you have and want. They in turn will tell you what you need. That`s why they have an 800 number.

I`ve been advised by them more than once.
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by L Pete View Post
    I'd look at the Foolproof over the 5-D, as the Foolproof is much easier to adjust when sighting in. The 5-D is a little more difficult as you have to loosen two screws and slide the aperture one direction or the other, and when I did it, I slid it too far in the direction I wanted it to go, and when trying to move it back, I usually slid it too far the other direction. The screws on the Foolproof are precise and just plan easier to adjust, similar to the adjustments on a scope. The Foolproof is just a superior sight.
    I am not saying that Pete is wrong. Buying a more adjustable sight is not a bad decision. I have 5D's on 4 rifles and got them sighted in. Once there they stay. Windage is a PITA, but it is easier than with the iron sights that one has to drift with a hammer and a brass rod or some other means. Its good advice but the 5-D is not all bad for most uses. Its elevation is very easy as it has an adjustment screw and a lock screw. Depends on how thrifty you are. I will point out that the rifles I use the 5 D on are also set up for one load. My old 30-30 likes 170 grain, my 32-20 has one load I use as does my 38-55. My 357 does get moved a bit between lighter loads and a heavier one but that is elevation.

DEP
    cajun56, vt4ster and L Pete like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links