336 SC peep - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: 336 SC peep

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    I am not saying that Pete is wrong. Buying a more adjustable sight is not a bad decision. I have 5D's on 4 rifles and got them sighted in. Once there they stay. Windage is a PITA, but it is easier than with the iron sights that one has to drift with a hammer and a brass rod or some other means. Its good advice but the 5-D is not all bad for most uses. Its elevation is very easy as it has an adjustment screw and a lock screw. Depends on how thrifty you are. I will point out that the rifles I use the 5 D on are also set up for one load. My old 30-30 likes 170 grain, my 32-20 has one load I use as does my 38-55. My 357 does get moved a bit between lighter loads and a heavier one but that is elevation.

DEP
    I agree, it's the windage adjustment that is the problem when sighting in, but once it's set, it'll work great. I had problems sighting in with the one I got, as I always moved it too far in the direction I wanted to go. Then, I move it too far the other direction trying move it back. For me, it was akin to something you'd see in a Three Stooges movie. It was the only 5-D I ever bought, and it now resides in my sight junk box. Foolproof for me now and forever.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Peep saga has gone from elation, with the arrival of the sight yesterday, to damnit. I can't budge the two screws on the side of the receiver. So, off to the gunsmith, who will have the proper tools to get the damn things out. I even bent the hollow ground bit on the end of the screwdriver I was using. I wanna play with it.
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I bent the bit on my screwdriver removing the plug screws on my 1950 waffle top as well, but they eventually came loose with the bent bit, LOL. The problem I now have is that the front sight is too low and I can't adjust the Williams peep sight down far enough: shooting about 6-8" high at 50 yards. I'm going to have to call Williams to see what they recommend for a front sight.
    Team 1894 #516

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Sight Height Formula
    Error in Inches Times (X) SightRadius in Inches
    Distance to Target in Inches

Error in inches times sight radius in inches divided by distance to target in inches
    Les Staley likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrmike View Post
    Sight Height Formula

Error in Inches Times (X) SightRadius in Inches
    Distance to Target in Inches

Error in inches times sight radius in inches divided by distance to target in inches
    So, my sight radius is .093 x 8" high/1800" (50 yards) = .413 Is this correct?
    Team 1894 #516

Sidewinder
    Member #
    The sight radius is the distance between your front and rear sights; they call this the sight radius. It should be like 7 inches (error) times 24ish Inches = 168 divided by 50 times 36 inches (1800) = .093" is the different height you need. So if you have a .340" front sight you will need a .093" taller front sight since you are shooting high or a.433" front sight. I can't recall if you mentioned the current height of your front sight. .413" would be correct if you currently have a .320" high front sight and the sight radius used in my example.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    So, the actual sight radius is 22" so: 7X22/1899 = .0856. The current sight is .32, so that would put me at .405 or .41. My math above was completely wrong, lol, but I accidentally got close to the correct height.
    Team 1894 #516

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links