Marlin Firearms Forum banner

I'm positive I have a 1964 marauder any verification?

3K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  Mrpike1973 
#1 ·
Hello all stumbled on this rifle it is a 1964 Marlin 336 rc 30-30 16 1/4 barrel it has a straight wood stock. the serial is Y 40xx the front barrel band is in front of the front site also the lettering on the barrel right above the word micro is the dovetail for the rear site all of the lettering is showing and not cut off anywear as to be a chopped barrel very clean the white part on the butt stock is there but slightly shrunk up I dont have a camera to post pics but cannot find any photos that show the difference. Any help would be great I put a scope on it and it shoots like a dream it should be a 1964 year. I also found that the model number does not denote that it is a marauder. thanks all.

#18 ·
I've had a Marauder since before they were cool. A couple years back I bought a 35 that was far from a creame puff. I was going to have it reblued, refinish stock and replace screws. A guy came along and made me a deal that I couldn't refuse so I sold. Figured I could pick up a good one with proceedes. I haven't seen one since that wasn't crazy priced. Mine is the only post war Marlin that is not for sale or trade. I only have 4 JMs in post War class. The same guys that turned up their noses at a 30/30, short barrel to boot never pass up the chance to inquire about the Marauder. Gun Firearm Rifle Air gun Trigger

#26 ·
The last 35 I saw at show 3yrs ago was in about 80% condition. No rust and sound wood. It had been hunted and had the normal blue wear and dings. Tagged at $1250. Last 30/30 was one someone here on forum located down in Huntington, WVa. I had my Grandaughter check it out and send me good pics. It was in bad shape. Metal was painted to cover bad pitting, cracks in wood. I forget asking price but before she got out of the shop they had dropped to $450. I've not seen enough of them for sale to make a intelligent price estimate.

#32 ·
Glad I wasn’t at that show. No way I would have left that show without that .35. Even if I would have had to take out a loan! I have never seen any at gun shows! Matter of fact, I haven’t seen any for sale locally anywhere in at least 20 years. I just wish I could handle one....

Reactions: Waffletop
#27 ·
I would imagine the 35 would be between 1500 and 2 grand in nice shape now.
The 30-30 about a grand.
You could get lucky and score one from someone who doesn't know what they have.
Anyone who is knowledgable about these wont let them go cheap.
The problem is their numbers are small and those who have them rarely let them go.
Just to see one at a gun show would tickle me pink. I would be liable to overpay.
You have to be careful as I have read that these have been faked a lot, they sold the barrels and forearms I think at Numrich after production stopped.
So you have to do your homework and not buy on impulse or you might get burnt.

#29 · (Edited)
how would you know if it is a numrich barrel would it be stamped jm?
You wouldn't know, if the faker used a numrich barrel and forearm and a rifle with a serial number beginning with either a W, Y or Z.
The Numrich barrels were stamped JM. The most obvious fake is the chopped barrel and you can detect those with the placement of the wording on the barrel in relationship to the rear sight dovetail.

I suppose if the forearm and the buttstock were poorly matched it might be a tip off.
Also if the front sight is dovetailed into the barrel behind the barrel band its a maurader.

#30 ·
The front site is definitely dovetailed behind the barrel band. No one has contested the wording in relation to the rear site so i'm 99.9% sure it is a marauder from any pics I have seen it shows just like mine for the wording rear site groove is right above the word micro Thanks Waffletop and all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.