Accuracy 35 Rem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Accuracy 35 Rem

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Accuracy 35 Rem

Iron sight tuning?

I got an older 70s Marlin .35 rem it seems like it's all over the place at 100 yards. Mostly it appears to be low right.

Any suggestions on tuning this thing. I even put it on a benchrest and appears to be all over.

Are there better sights to put on this thing for irons? Mainly be for hunting timber.
    mikom, lever30 and DRSLYR like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Could be any number of issues, but first check I would do is make sure sights are tight. Second, clean barrel and check for fouling, check crown.

Good luck and Welcome.
    lever30, Slugnut, mikom and 4 others like this.
    JM "Jenuine Marlin"

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I would start at 50 yards first to see how it shoots with open sights,least that's what I do.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    XS rear aperture, all steel and rugged. About $65 - $70 delivered to your mailbox. I'm too old, can't see open sights at all, but the aperture rear is perfect. I can hit tin cans out to 135 yards, so the sights are working just fine. You may or may not need to change the front sight to a taller one, you'll have to shoot it and see. I have two XS sighted rifles, one needed a taller front, one didn't.

Picture1230180751_1 - Edited (2).jpg
    turbobug, mikom, Ret_Eng and 2 others like this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Contributing Member
    Member #
    What ammunition are you shooting? Did you clean the barrel thourally? Maybe you need a scope or receiver sight. If you adjust the rear sight, move it the way you want the bullet to go.
    rob42049, Lever Jac and miket156 like this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I too have had a very similar experience with my 35rem,,, i was disappointed with myself not being able to keep a group in an 8" circle @ 50, i was using factory remington core lokt 200gr , so i took the spent cases and made myself up a few rounds using 200gr hornady interlock bullets and started playing with powder and improved significantly to where i can bang my 4" round swinging plates ... now im no marksman by any means but for me and my eyes thats a big improvement, i shot some 150 gr core lokt factory loads and they were 3" higher than the 200s at 50 yrds.... i spent two days punching sights up down left right trying to chase my poi , wasnt till i got a good round to fit my gun that i was able to dail it in, i tried it at 100yrds yesterday and it'll ping a 8" plate now , before it was hit or miss but again some of that could be me not doing my part
    256WinMag and Lever Jac like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    My 1950 .35 SC will shoot 200gr. Lee cast into 2-3" groups at 100Y with a williams peep sight on it. But, that is Ballard rifling.
    Still, even with MG I would think you should get near that.
    windy and turbobug like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    As others have pointed out, clean the bore completely, check for any crown imperfections, get yourself several different brands of factory ammo. Start at 50 yards, shoot three shots with the same ammo. See how it groups, Mark that group, leg the barrel cool and move on to the next brand of ammo, repeat until done and see what ammo shoots best. You can repeat this process out to as far as you can shoot comfortably. The best grouping ammo will be the best for your rifle. Once, your rifle has picked its ammo, then work on adjusting your sight. This is what I do, but I am not an expert bench shooter, just a hunter.
    Now, the handloaders have this down to a science......
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    You didn`t say but why not start at 25 yds. Much quicker way to "see" what`s going on. Less ammo used as well...……………...
    mikom, Lever Jac and Gambler like this.
    The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Welcome to the forum from Kansas. The above information is all very good. I am starting a refurbish job on a 336 of mine in 30-30 that only likes 170 stuff. A lot of ammo was shot because I doubted my ability with iron sights. I scoped it and the same thing was going on. 130 and 150grnr's 3" plus groups at 50yds but all my 170grn stuff went under an inch. Hope you find the solution for you accuracy. Keep us posted.
    mikom, rob42049 and alawrence like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links