Tightening up the tangs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Tightening up the tangs

Sidewinder
    Member #

Tightening up the tangs

Hope this is the right forum for this. I noticed the tangs on my 1951 336-A are a bit proud of the stock. Trying to recall how to address this -- back out the tang screw all the way, then somehow squeeze the tangs tighter before catching the lower tang threads again? Use a C-clamp and pads for this?
    Thanks.

fullsizeoutput_1162 by ComeWatson, on Flickr

Contributing Member
    Member #
    That's interesting! I've never seen that before. I hope somebody comes along that has experience with this!

T.S.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

Deadeye
    Member #
    First thought is someone sanded too much on the wood. If you remove rear tang screw is stock a loose fit (rocking, up and down) between tangs? Hard to recover from that evil sandpaper.
    Team 336 #369
    Team 444 #511
    Team 450 #59
    Team 45-70 #425
    Team 1894 # 120
    Team 60 #454

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I put the ends of my remlin 336 in a padded vise and kept testing until they were close then used Brownell's glass gel to make a precise fit so the tang screw didn't compress them but held everything together tight. Mc Phersons book had something on it. I don't have the time to look it up now but will get back to you this evening.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I bought a Marlin 336 over the interweb once that arrived looking close to that (funny how you don't see it in the pictures). There's not a whole lot that can be done really. You might get the bottom tang up a bit tighter with some careful bending of the lower trigger guard plate. The steel is actually thick enough there a fellow could probably remove some carefully and get it where it would look alright, but there you are dealing with that dreadful sandpaper again. Make sure the bottom plate has not been cross threaded and the bolt is pushing the tang down.
    Team 444 Marlin - 1970 Centennial
    Team 22 Magnum - # 42 Marlin 57M
    Team Browning - # 5 1992 Browning BLR .308
    Team 30-30 - # 897 1989 Marlin 30TK
    Team 35 - #501 1978 336

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Someone replaced the stock, that is a little more than over exposed from sanding.

Personally, I would try a different stock before doing anything to the metal. If you do attempt to bend, remember it will give at it's weakest point, which would be the thinnest part of the metal and will induce a weakness at that location.
    6'x8' two man rooms with toilets. 23 Years in a Federal Penitentiary

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Well...I know what a big part of the problem is....
    The 1951 model A did not come with that rear stock.
    It is not original to the gun and you will not be able to fix that.
    - Fran-

Better to be thought of as an idiot,than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    20190313_155401.jpg
    This is a 51 stock model A.
    No grip cap.
    2bytandem, Ret_Eng, CWT and 4 others like this.
    - Fran-

Better to be thought of as an idiot,than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

Deadeye
    Member #
    Good eye there DeerHog, forest/tree thing maybe for me. Grip cap and spacer, oops!
    256WinMag and deerhog like this.
    Team 336 #369
    Team 444 #511
    Team 450 #59
    Team 45-70 #425
    Team 1894 # 120
    Team 60 #454

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    So with the screw fully tight, the tang metal sticks up? If so, you might try deepening the inletted portion of the stock. If the inlet is not deep enough, no amount of tightening will ever make it fit. Those tangs are pretty "springy" and you should be able to easily draw them down if you deepen the inlet in the stock. However, before you do any of that, look closely at the tang screw. If I recall, they are not threaded full length but rather only about 1/4" to 3/8" or so. I can't see any screw sticking out proud of the lower tang so evidently you are not overdrawn yet. If you look at the lower hole when the screw is tight, is the screw flush or down in the hole? If down in the hole, that's probably good news and deepening the inlet would definitely be the way to go.
    Mark Risch likes this.
    Thoughts on Remlins: The day I walk into a sporting goods and honestly mistake a Remlin gun for a JM gun, THAT will be the day I think about buying one. Until then, they can keep 'em.

Words to live by: Just because something is primitive, doesn't mean it has to be crude. Just because something is custom, doesn't mean it's quality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links