• 2 Post By butchieboy
  • 3 Post By Gtek
  • 1 Post By Slugnut
  • 1 Post By gcs

Thread: Slide hits hammer

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Slide hits hammer

I just got a unused unfired 1976 336 from the original owner & I happened to notice that when you push the lever up to chamber a shell the slide just barely hits the hammer coming & going back. Never owned a marlin before & it's a great quality rifle for sure but this does not seem normal to me. Can someone enlighten me. Thanks for any help.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Perfectly normal operation. Now, go shoot that thing!
    And welcome from Wisconsin!
    Andrew
    art6555, Slugnut and Texas Shooter like this.
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    That’s the bolt. It pushes the hammer back to cock it and make the rifle ready to shoot for you.
    Zuikowarrior, NRA Life Member

Team 35 Member 48, Team .30-30 Member 112, Team 39 Member 92, Team 60 Member 18, Team .45/70 Member 912, Team MR-7 Member 9, Team 1894 Member 414, Team Glenfield Member 81, Team Savage 99 Member 26, Team Browning Member 115.

"Blessed are those who, in the face of death, focus on the front sight." Colonel Jeff Cooper.

"A free people ought to be armed." George Washington.

Marlin 30AW, 336CSs, Texan, Glenfield Texan, 1895G, 1894C, 39TDS, 39A, Model 60, MR7.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    One other thing to do when working the action, is to work the lever hard and fast. Otherwise, if trying to do it slowly, you will have the next cartridge jam on th carrier. Ask me how I know.

Andrew
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I'am trying I promise. As you age you forget these simple things. Thanks for the replies. I honestly thought something was wrong. So I feel much better knowing that it is fine. I have bought several items for my new toy. Vintage sling, Scope brk, Grovetec hammer ext, Weaver scope mounts, limbsaver rear stock pad, Bullseye green fiber optic sight set, leather buttstock ammo holder that matches sling, Takedown screw, I also want to make the lever into a cowboy lever but i'am having a hard time getting a-hold of Muleman to ask him if he can do this for me.Is he still doing levers. I seen some he has done & they are great.
    alawrence and Slugnut like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I think they designed it that way to help in accomplishing several things. When cocking hammer pulling all the way to rear, sear is riding on lower hammer surface over two notches, half and full cock. The traveling beyond the fire position notch confirms good contact and engagement of sear to ride into notch as hammer is moving forward settling into fire position. When lever is manipulated the aft section of bolt contacting top of hammer creates this cycle. Clear weapon and place hammer in full cock, lay across your lap sideways and cycle lever watching hammer lift into set position. I think it also helps stabilize bolt body hanging out of receiver during cycling. A suggestion if I may, leave the original lever alone, remove, oil and bag. Purchase another lever to "TRY COWBOY", don't like, sell and back up to known fit, matching, correct piece. Sometimes a new part requires a little fitting or a tweak for slick. Enjoy your new rifle!
    Team 336 #369
    Team 444 #511
    Team 450 #59
    Team 45-70 #425
    Team 1894 # 120
    Team 60 #454

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Welcome from the wefare state (ny). Keep us posted on how she shoots and good luck.
    butchieboy likes this.

gcs
    Wrangler
    Member #
    I've heard that advice of working the lever hard and fast all my life....I'm pretty sure that is not the way it was designed,

Maybe I'm wrong.. , but I can operate my 336 as slow as I want, in any position , and it always works. So does my son's, and to think about it, so does everyone else I know that has a 336.
    I'm thinking the hard and fast masks a minor problem and "forces" it to work. Not trying to be difficult, but I'm interested in how many guys have to do that...and what do you think causes that situation.
    turbobug likes this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Your fine. enjoy.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gcs View Post
    I've heard that advice of working the lever hard and fast all my life....I'm pretty sure that is not the way it was designed,

Maybe I'm wrong.. , but I can operate my 336 as slow as I want, in any position , and it always works. So does my son's, and to think about it, so does everyone else I know that has a 336.
    I'm thinking the hard and fast masks a minor problem and "forces" it to work. Not trying to be difficult, but I'm interested in how many guys have to do that...and what do you think causes that situation.
    Ever watch a semi auto or an auto in action?

Me either, but I don't think I can rack a lever anywhere near the speed that operates, and they have many more parts to worry about.
    6'x8' two man rooms with toilets. 23 Years in a Federal Penitentiary

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links