Re-thinking cross bolt safety
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: Re-thinking cross bolt safety

Deadeye
    Member #

Re-thinking cross bolt safety

I was at the range yesterday hunting round orange birds to use up some old ammo that my 30-30 doesn't shoot as well as some when I pulled the trigger and all I heard was a click. Waited the mandatory 30 seconds opened my action and the primer didn't have a mark on it. Re-chambered the round and tried it twice more, same thing. I thought I had a broken firing pin but after further inspection I noticed that somehow the safety had been engaged.

In the last 5 years that I have owned this rifle the safety has been engaged twice, once when I first bought it to see if it worked and once yesterday. Besides the fact that the safety is ugly it has never bothered me. But after yesterday I am going to either remove it and replace it with a safety delete or tighten it down so much that it can't be accidentally engaged. Would not have been so bad but all three shots were called hits.
    sgt_zim, Scorpiusb, Arky73 and 6 others like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I use a little rubber o-ring... Push the safety off, slide the o-ring over the safety and into the red fire groove and Bob's your uncle...
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Gunfighter
    Member #
    With the O ring you still have the option, do you use the rifle for punching paper, hide or both ?? This would influence my decision I think, My 336 is a Deer rifle first and last. Half cock safety on, safety off, full cock when on aim bang just my view. GH

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I like the Saddle ring option for replacing the safety. Just keep the safety in case you sell the rifle, reinstall and put the Saddle ring on something else......unless of course you buy some pre-1982 Marlins that never had the ring!
    rob42049, Pereira, VinceA and 1 others like this.
    Lots of Marlins!

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Lots of people complain about them but I have used them for years with no issues. Lots of my deer hunting is out of stands but I got into the habit of checking the "safety" before using the rifle. I do use it on and off such as for getting into stands and especially for unloading. I think that that use makes me more conscious of its position. I will point out it is not a true safety but more of a de-cocking feature. My 35R predates it and I don't miss it on that rifle. The Mossberg 464 has a tang safety that is handier.

DEP
    4mynra, rob42049, OLBIKER and 6 others like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Holland View Post
    With the O ring you still have the option, do you use the rifle for punching paper, hide or both ?? This would influence my decision I think, My 336 is a Deer rifle first and last. Half cock safety on, safety off, full cock when on aim bang just my view. GH
    When I went to the State Game Commission Safety Training a few years ago, one of the issues they brought up was what they said was a "half cock safety" is NO SAFETY at all. A spring holds the hammer in place. If you drop the rifle OR give it a solid bump, the rifle will discharge.
    Not good.

Cross Bolt Safeties are a pain in the neck. One issue that is worse than what you experienced is if the Safety is engaged, even though you didn't engage it, and you are squeezing the trigger on the BIGGEST BUCK you ever saw. CLICK.

Unlike humans, wildlife have GREAT hearing. That buck would be like the movie "Gone with the Wind".

Mike T.
    Gareth Holland and Pereira like this.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I liked the saddle ring delete on my blue 1894 so much, I put one on Stainless. This rifle gets carried and hunted. The chamber is empty until I'm about to take the shot. It's a skill to learn, chambering a .44 silently so as not to be seen or heard, but with practice it can be done.
    Picture0411190821_1.jpg

Beartooth Mercantile was out of stainless units, so I bought a blue one and soaked it in vinegar for 15 minutes. Came out with a nice matte steel finish. Always, always, safety first. If you like your cross-hammer safety, or have worries about its elimination, keep it. Confidence in your rifle is very important. Always remember to not point your muzzle at anything you don't want to shoot.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Mop
    Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by miket156 View Post
    When I went to the State Game Commission Safety Training a few years ago, one of the issues they brought up was what they said was a "half cock safety" is NO SAFETY at all. A spring holds the hammer in place. If you drop the rifle OR give it a solid bump, the rifle will discharge.
    Not good.

Mike T.
    I don't think he was right in saying the hammer is held in half cock by a spring. The hammer spring does put the tension on it but the trigger sear is in a notch just as it is when at full cock. This keeps the hammer in a safer position, ie, off the firing pin and no where near full cock position where it needs to be to fire. Have you ever been able to pull the trigger and make it fall from half cock? While maybe not a true safety that blocks the hammer, the half cock is a very effective safety in it's own right. I have no problem with the crossbolt safety. I have two Marlins with them that I use just as safeties are to be used. You can NEVER be too safe. Just thought I'd pull the trigger on my 2 cents.
    OLBIKER, northmn, kah64 and 9 others like this.
    Member Christ's Army
    NRA Life Member
    Team 45-70 #1233
    Team 35 #537
    Team 30-30 #1026

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Rubber O-ring is a cheap, easy fix.
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I recently took 3 of my grandchildren to Hunter safety. The instructor had several firearms on display including 2 Winchester Model 94's - NO CROSS-BOLT SAFETY. Watch the look on their faces when you ask them to set the safety on a Win. Model 94'. Take a picture of your face when you ask each of them to return a cocked hammer back to an uncocked position and on average 4 out of 10 times the hammer gets away on them and impacts the firing pin- an accidental discharge had the rifle been loaded. Marlin decided to put cross bolt safety's on for good reasons, some of which are related to me.
    Also, I have been told that there have been several successful law suits against Winchester where the rifle accidentally drops on its stock butt and the rifle discharges with the hammer in the so-called half-cocked position. Marlin's cross bolt safety decision I think makes the Marlin a much better all around safer rifle than the Win. Model 94. There is one model of the Winchester Model 94 ( I think its the Ranger Model) where Winchester uses the cross bolt safety. For those of you who remove or alter Marlin's cross bolt safety and you later sell the gun in that condition, please, for the sake of the buyer and others, be sure to make your premium payments on your liability Insurance. (or better yet, please restore the rifle to its original condition.)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links