Re-thinking cross bolt safety - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: Re-thinking cross bolt safety

Banned
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by navajo View Post
    Huh....all shotguns have safeties?
    I have 5 single shot shotguns with hammers that have no safety.
    Not even a half-cock.
    How should I carry my old Topper 4-10?
    Should I wait to load it until I see a squirrel? What if he's limbing
    and I don't have time to get a shell in the barrel?
    My bad. You are correct single shot and hammered shotguns and some single shot rifles don't have safeties. As a younger kid I once had my shotgun go off while dove hunting when I tried letting the hammer down on a live round after not shooting at my intended bird. I had the gun pointed up in the air thank god.
    The truth about the Crossbolt safety that nobody wants to address is the fact that regardless of what we think about the thing it is our responsibility to be familiar with our firearms and always use the feature as it was intended. Keep your finger off the booger hook till we intend to hit our target. If you screw up and forget to use it as intended then you truly aren't using proper gun handling skills or aren't familiar enough with our weapons . Yes sometimes things don't go as intended so always be prepared for those situations by knowing what happened. We are all humans after all and are flawed.
    Last edited by electricmo; 04-13-2019 at 07:35 AM.

Banned
    Member #
    rob42049 likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rob42049 View Post
    I liked the saddle ring delete on my blue 1894 so much, I put one on Stainless. This rifle gets carried and hunted. The chamber is empty until I'm about to take the shot. It's a skill to learn, chambering a .44 silently so as not to be seen or heard, but with practice it can be done.
    Picture0411190821_1.jpg

Beartooth Mercantile was out of stainless units, so I bought a blue one and soaked it in vinegar for 15 minutes. Came out with a nice matte steel finish. Always, always, safety first. If you like your cross-hammer safety, or have worries about its elimination, keep it. Confidence in your rifle is very important. Always remember to not point your muzzle at anything you don't want to shoot.
    Interesting, the vinegar approach. Is the pic you showed what you did with a blued ring? Asking because I have a replacement front forearm cap in blue to replace original that has lost the sling mount part of it. The blue is strong compared to the patina of the barrel, and I've been trying to figure out how to 'age' the new part before putting it on.
    rob42049 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ShowMe1962 View Post
    Interesting, the vinegar approach. Is the pic you showed what you did with a blued ring?
    Yes. If you want to remove factory blue, regular old vinegar from the supermarket works just fine. You want to age a forend cap? Try two or three minutes in the vinegar. Pull it out, wash in a lot of clear water to stop the process. Oil when done.
    Gareth Holland and 94win30wcf like this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    ONe preferred method of carrying the old double hammered shotguns was to have it broke open with the hammers cocked and when a bird got up to close the action which then permitted two shots without yanking back hammers. Hammers on shotguns were actually a PITA and hammerless shotguns with safeties a Godsend. The 14 gauge was used by some in the hammer days as it was less reach to work the hammers than the 12 or 10.

As to using the safety as a safety on a Marlin you are more apt to get a misfire than if you keep an eye on it and use the standard hammer method. It is NOT a true safety. You can pull the trigger and it will block the firing pin but the hammer will be down. It is best used as a safety measure for unloading as when you unload a older Marlin or Winchester you have a gun in battery with the safety off. As others have mentioned, sometimes people with smaller hands have had the hammer slip. Cold hands also. Even if pointed in a safe direction I prefer not to have the surprise of a discharge.

DEP

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Lightbulb

I have several Marlins that have cross-bolt safeties. One of the things I noticed is that one of the earlier made rifles with a CB safety is noisy when switching the safety to the OFF position. The other rifle I have that was made later has a much quieter switch than the earlier made model. No amount of oil makes the earlier model softer, so it sits in my safe.

I don't know if any of you gentlemen have run into noisy safeties in your Marlins, but mine have different safety switches.

Mike T.
    Last edited by miket156; 04-13-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    rob42049 likes this.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Deadeye
    Member #
    After reading all this, I took my Marlin out and looked at that safety again. People here make great and very logical points about the benefits of that safety. Typically I want every piece of safety equipment that I can get my hands on. That said, I can't stand the appearance of the Marlin safety. I am pretty anal about the gun safety rules so I am going to order the safety delete. I guess it's like S&W revolvers with the safety hole in the side. I just can't stand it.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Terryt View Post
    I recently took 3 of my grandchildren to Hunter safety. The instructor had several firearms on display including 2 Winchester Model 94's - NO CROSS-BOLT SAFETY. Watch the look on their faces when you ask them to set the safety on a Win. Model 94'. Take a picture of your face when you ask each of them to return a cocked hammer back to an uncocked position and on average 4 out of 10 times the hammer gets away on them and impacts the firing pin- an accidental discharge had the rifle been loaded. Marlin decided to put cross bolt safety's on for good reasons, some of which are related to me.
    Also, I have been told that there have been several successful law suits against Winchester where the rifle accidentally drops on its stock butt and the rifle discharges with the hammer in the so-called half-cocked position. Marlin's cross bolt safety decision I think makes the Marlin a much better all around safer rifle than the Win. Model 94. There is one model of the Winchester Model 94 ( I think its the Ranger Model) where Winchester uses the cross bolt safety. For those of you who remove or alter Marlin's cross bolt safety and you later sell the gun in that condition, please, for the sake of the buyer and others, be sure to make your premium payments on your liability Insurance. (or better yet, please restore the rifle to its original condition.)
    Sounds like a case of lack of familiarity vs a design flaw. I've never had an issue letting down the hammer on a lever or revolver. I doubt your grandkids would have an issue once they knew what was going on. I have pre and post safety Marlins. I never use the safety. I need to get some orings.
    rob42049 and Golphin like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by white cloud View Post
    After reading all this, I took my Marlin out and looked at that safety again. People here make great and very logical points about the benefits of that safety. Typically I want every piece of safety equipment that I can get my hands on. That said, I can't stand the appearance of the Marlin safety. I am pretty anal about the gun safety rules so I am going to order the safety delete. I guess it's like S&W revolvers with the safety hole in the side. I just can't stand it.
    Lets face it, when we get older, we can become forgetful. Did I engage the Safety or didn't I? I can look down at the CB Safety and SEE if its on or not. My only concern is being about to fire when I am ready and a target presents itself. But i DO want a Safety on my rifles. There isn't anything I can shoot that is worth taking any risks. All my bolt act rifles have Safeties and I can see if the Safety is engaged by looking at it. Even my older German made Mauser has a Safety on it. The CZ Mauser action rifle I own has a Tang Safety and so do other bolt action rifles I own. Safety first.

I don't hunt game animals, I only hunt Varmints. One thing for sure, we are not going to run out of Coyotes anytime soon in my home state.

Mike T.
    Last edited by miket156; 04-18-2019 at 12:30 AM.
    Mop likes this.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Live with it or live without it, just be thankful it's not one of those automatic setting safeties you find on some firearms.
    northmn, redhawk0 and RED like this.
    6'x8' two man rooms with toilets. 23 Years in a Federal Penitentiary

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links