Re-thinking cross bolt safety - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: Re-thinking cross bolt safety

Deadeye
    Member #
    Simplest is pay attention to it. On or Off
    Ojaileveraction, Travlin and Mop like this.
    Nothing is impossible......for the person that don't have to do it !!

Benefactor Member NRA

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpiusb View Post
    I use a little rubber o-ring... Push the safety off, slide the o-ring over the safety and into the red fire groove and Bob's your uncle...
    I like the O ring idea. Have a red one on there now but I am looking for a black one.
    rob42049 and Scorpiusb like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    The saddle ring delete is a nice option, I use the ring for a single point sling attachment which works great on my 1895! I also have some that have the safety and get caught from time to time with the awful "click" and have others that are pre-safety so I have all varieties.
    rob42049 and Lever Jac like this.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

CWT
    Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpiusb View Post
    I use a little rubber o-ring... Push the safety off, slide the o-ring over the safety and into the red fire groove and Bob's your uncle...
    This^^^
    Scorpiusb likes this.
    Thanks dad for taking me hunting.

"Those who cannot cleanly dispatch their game using a .30-30 are either shooting too far, hunting inappropriate (too large) game, or are simply incompetent." Mic McPherson

https://youtu.be/RdLCxnXmuEw

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mop View Post
    I don't think he was right in saying the hammer is held in half cock by a spring. The hammer spring does put the tension on it but the trigger sear is in a notch just as it is when at full cock. This keeps the hammer in a safer position, ie, off the firing pin and no where near full cock position where it needs to be to fire. Have you ever been able to pull the trigger and make it fall from half cock? While maybe not a true safety that blocks the hammer, the half cock is a very effective safety in it's own right. I have no problem with the crossbolt safety. I have two Marlins with them that I use just as safeties are to be used. You can NEVER be too safe. Just thought I'd pull the trigger on my 2 cents.
    My thumb has already slipped off the hammer when my Model 94 was on half cock when I was trying to bring the hammer all the way back to get ready to fire. The rifle did not go off. That happened too me a couple of times at the rifle range so there would not have been an accident. However, when 4 State Constables are in front of a Safety glass and they tell me "Half cocked Safety is no safety at all". I take their word for it.

This is not a problem for me now because the rifles I use for hunting these days are not Model 94 Winnies, I am using rifles that are large calibers and they have TANG safeties. The only exception is my Marlin 35 REM's that I carry when scouting for tracks and sign of Coyotes. I usually don't have a round chambered because I am not planning on shooting anything. The rifle is for my protection, just in case. If I hear anything in close proximity to my area, I chamber a round and wait to see what's moving.

Mike T.
    Mop, northmn and Travlin like this.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Lever Jac View Post
    I was at the range yesterday hunting round orange birds to use up some old ammo that my 30-30 doesn't shoot as well as some when I pulled the trigger and all I heard was a click. Waited the mandatory 30 seconds opened my action and the primer didn't have a mark on it. Re-chambered the round and tried it twice more, same thing. I thought I had a broken firing pin but after further inspection I noticed that somehow the safety had been engaged.

In the last 5 years that I have owned this rifle the safety has been engaged twice, once when I first bought it to see if it worked and once yesterday. Besides the fact that the safety is ugly it has never bothered me. But after yesterday I am going to either remove it and replace it with a safety delete or tighten it down so much that it can't be accidentally engaged. Would not have been so bad but all three shots were called hits.
    I had the crossbolt turn itself 'on' when I was hunting. Probably, it was pushed when I laid the rifle down across the safety bar on the treestand. I got a very loud 'click' and no boom on a deer that wandered in front of the stand. After that, they all get safety deletes. Also, I want my guns to be all the same, I have many that are pre-84, so post-84's get deleted so they are all uniform.
    Last edited by buckeyeshooter; 04-15-2019 at 02:21 AM.
    miket156 and Lever Jac like this.
    "That wasn't shootin, that was killin" -- Rafe Covington

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I don't like the looks of them but I do like the unloading feature with the safety on/ I am not going to say that I have never heard the dreaded click because I have. My friend killed a big 9 point buck the past year with his stainless 1894c and he clicked it on the deer but realized what had happened and pushed the safety to the on position and killed the buck. I read on this forum where someone was getting up in his stand and pulling the hammer back and engaging the safety and when it was time to shoot he would push the safety to the on position and fire. It reminded me of shooting a shotgun by popping the safety and then firing. I don't believe this was the way it was intended to work, seems dangerous sitting in your stand with the hammer back.
    Pereira and miket156 like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I'm lost on why the Crossbolt safety is such a issue. Shotguns have safeties. I use those all the time without issues. Bolt action rifles have safeties. Why is the lever gun Crossbolt such a problem? The 1/2 cock notch isn't the way to be carrying when out walking around the woods unless the Crossbolt is engaged. I think I would rather have the hammer fully cocked and Crossbolt engaged when sitting in the deer woods waiting. All rifles and shotguns without hammers are always cocked, relying only on the safety to keep the hammer from hitting a primer when a round is chambered. You lever gun is no different.
    Travlin, RED and turbobug like this.
    Not responsible for what people think, just what I am.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    To me the safety itself is not an issue. It marks the decline in fit & finish of Marlin. It has nothing to do with function or accuracy. Some don't agree with this. I was in business from 72-92 and I saw the decline of the products of all the major gun companies during this period. They were all struggling and cutting corners to stay afloat.
    miket156 and Travlin like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

"Opinionated Texan" Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by electricmo View Post
    I'm lost on why the Crossbolt safety is such a issue. Shotguns have safeties. I use those all the time without issues. Bolt action rifles have safeties. Why is the lever gun Crossbolt such a problem? The 1/2 cock notch isn't the way to be carrying when out walking around the woods unless the Crossbolt is engaged. I think I would rather have the hammer fully cocked and Crossbolt engaged when sitting in the deer woods waiting. All rifles and shotguns without hammers are always cocked, relying only on the safety to keep the hammer from hitting a primer when a round is chambered. You lever gun is no different.

Huh....all shotguns have safeties?
    I have 5 single shot shotguns with hammers that have no safety.
    Not even a half-cock.
    How should I carry my old Topper 4-10?
    Should I wait to load it until I see a squirrel? What if he's limbing
    and I don't have time to get a shell in the barrel?
    Navajo
    Lever-Action Addict
    Savage 99 fan
    MXLR fan
    Full-Blood Texan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links