336 vs Winny 94 - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 336 vs Winny 94

Site Contributor Banned
    Member #

Re: 336 vs Winny 94

The only Winnie '94 I really like is my current BB in 356. It has the solid heft of the Marlin 336 as well as very similar balance. The '94s in 30/30 (I've owned 2 some years ago) were fine, but not rifles noteworthy enough to survive in my gunrack.

Wrangler
    Member #

Many (most?) levers, pumps and semis cannot be cleaned from the breech end without major disassembly. Not terribly problematic for most.

Super Site Contributor - Team 35 Remington Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wreckhog
    Many (most?) levers, pumps and semis cannot be cleaned from the breech end without major disassembly. Not terribly problematic for most.
    But, we're comparing Winchester 94's to Marlins here, and Marlins are very easy to clean from the breech end unlike Winchesters.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Site Contributor Banned
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in FL
    But, we're comparing Winchester 94's to Marlins here, and Marlins are very easy to clean from the breech end unlike Winchesters.
    It's really great to see you back, Brian!

Wrangler
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in FL
    Depends what you are cleaning from the breech end and what you are using to clean it. Opening the action on a 94 and sliding in a Bore Snake is easier than on a 336. Using a knife to pop out a reload that is too long (OAL) to chamber or not sized right is easier on a 94. Feeding a single weird pointy reload is easier on a 94. On 336's I tend to remove the lever, and bolt for cleaning because it is so easy, not because the gun needs it.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

The down side to the Winchesters is scope mounting and cleaning. The cleaning is realy not a problem get a bore guide and you have no problem. I feel the Winchester carrys better, the rifle is slimmer and just feels right. I might add my 2 winchesters are pre 64s so they are not cheep cast guns. That said 2 winchesters vs 7 Marlins? If the rifle will have a scope on it I would have to get a Marlin. I shot a Winchester with the off set scope at a range last year just was weard.

Wrangler
    Member #

For various reasons, both practical and nostalgic, I actually prefer the 1894 Winchester.

I don't use a scope on any of my guns, so it's not a concern.

I prefer straight gripped guns over pistol grips. They handle better for me.

The 1894 is essentially the same gun that came off the line in 1894 (with a few changes). The 336 dates back to the 1930s. It just feels more "old-timey".

When I lived in Alaska, the term ".30-30" was synonomus with "1894 Winchester". They were everywhere from the 1890s to the present day. Given away at potlaches, bought for sons and nephews, used by Alaskans all over the state for moose, caribou, deer, walrus, bear, seal, etc. When I look at my 1894, I think of home. When I pick it up I can taste the salmon "squaw candy", smell the moose ribs on the barbecue and go look at the caribou hide and wolf hide in my study...

For me, that feeling isn't there when I pick up a 336. Although I did have an 1895 in .45-70 for a few years.

Mario
    Team 60, #235

Super Site Contributor - Team 35 Remington Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by biku324
    It's really great to see you back, Brian!
    Thanks. I got out of the inpatient physical rehab facility this past Friday, and I started outpatient physical rehab today. I'll be doing that for three times a week, and I don't know for how long that'll be. I'm doing as well as can be expected this soon after the surgery. I still have a fair amount of pain, but I'm weaning myself off the prescription pain killers. And, I'll have to walk with a cane for some time, how long I don't know yet. Whether or not I get out deer hunting this year depends on when I can shed the walking stick I guess.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

Wrangler
    Member #

The Older top eject Win 94s are about as classic a design as I can imagine. Pretty and handle like a dream. But the Marlin is mechanically simpler and much easier to work on...very practical. The straight grip Marlins are better looking than the pistol grip models and are nearly as attractive as the Winnie. The Angle Eject Winnies were a move toward practicality at least for scope mounting. How can you not love both?
    Duhawki
    Team 444 member 26; Team 35 member 28

Contributing Member
    Member #

Had to have a pre 64 winny. I thought every gun crank should have one. Then I bought my 336 in 35 rem.. Gave the winny to my son for his collection. The Marlin is a way better made gun. The action is better and more user friendly for mounting sights on.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links