dch
    Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: 336 vs Winny 94

what Jake said.

Wrangler
    Member #

The Winnie 94 always seemed to handle better to me.
    ...said I didn't have a use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it....

Tinhorn
    Member #

If this is a rifle that will be scoped, be aware that until Winchester went with angle eject (AE,) which was in the mid-'80's, I believe, you need an offset mount for the 94, so you definitely want AE on the 94 if he plans on scoping it. I like both the Marlin and the Winchester, either one should serve him well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #

I have two winnie,s , one pre [AE] and the other is a ranger. Both shoot and group fine, the ranger doesn,t have walnut stocks, but the finish is good. Don,t get the side mount scope, it,s goofy. I went with williams peepers on both, their my bad weather go to guns. Their actions are clunky compared to my Marlins.

LT
    Contributing Member
    Member #

Both have good points with few negatives. I like my cheapo 1989 "Ranger" AE because it's light and easy to carry. It also shoots well. My Marlin 1987 336CS/.35 seems a lot more "rock solid". They're also scope ready if you want to use one. The only thing I don't like about mine are the triggers. The 336 is too heavy/rough and the Ranger is too light. One thing that stands out for me is the half cock hammer safety that the Marlin uses. The squeeze the lever in method of the Winchester takes some getting used to.
    Team 35 Member #3

Wrangler
    Member #

They feel and handle very differently. I personally love the 26" octagonal barrel 94, which is way easier to find than a 30-30 336 Cowboy. Friends love the 20" for the handling qualities. Me, not so much. I like the top eject, when I want to shoot it as a singleshot (weird reloads that don't feed.)

Super Site Contributor - Team 45/70 Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

94's carry very nice!!!
    They compliment a levergun collection well!!!

.....But the 336 is a better rifle!!!

If you get a '94 avoid the a/e ranger with hardwood stocks..
    Get one with a nice walnut stock it's worth the extra price..
    Scott
    Team .45/70 Captain

~~~~~to join 'Team .45/70' visit this link~~~~~
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45...re-please.html

*******Marlin 336SS-LTD .35 Rem club*******
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/gr...-rem-club.html

Wrangler
    Member #

I had a 94AE in 30-30 for many years.
    The big plus for the Winny is that they are slim and light for carrying in the field.
    For years I hunted deers and hogs in the thick brush/swamp with mine and it was a great rifle for close shots.
    Once you add optic on it they feel off balance.

A lot of people say Winnys are not accurate but mine would hold 2" group at 100 yds after I put a scope on it.
    The secret is to keep the barrel from getting hot. I would shoot one round every 2 minutes or so and it would get get groups but if I fired it quickly the barrel would get hot and groups would open up.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I owned and Hunted with Winchester 94's for Year's. I also shot some nice Deer under 75 Yard's but the Marlin 336 is a SUPERIOR Weapon, just my humble opnion. The main disadvantage of the Model 94 is the Receiver's design.

The Marlin 336's has a Solid Top Receiver where the Win 94 is open which can present many problem's especially in bad Weather.

Secondly, Mounting a Scope for True accuracy on a Model 94 be it "Top Eject" or "Angle Eject" present's nothing but problems.

About the only good thing I will say about the Regular Model 94 (not talking about Winchester's upper end Gun's) is there a little lighter/slimmer then a 336 and easier to carry for a the young, seniors, and Women depending on their size/strength. If your willing to give up some max killing range the Marlin 1894 in .357 Mag will equal the 94's size/weight.

Web Sites like Gunbroker, Gunsinternational, Gunsamerica and Shootersexchange have ton's of Marlin 336's. If your patient many times you can get a NICE used or like new 336 for a fair price. Don't wait too long becasue prices start going up as Hunting Season approaches.

Super Site Contributor - Team 35 Remington Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

The two biggest drawbacks of the Winchester Top Ejects are the inability to mount a scope on top of the rifle like they're supposed to be and the inability to clean them from the breach end like Marlins. I used to have two of the Winnies (until I recently gave my post 64 to my pastor), but now I just have the one pre 64. I solved the sighting problem on the post 64 by mounting a Williams 5D receiver sight on it quite a few years ago. I always found that it handled quite well and was quite sufficiently accurate for hunting deer at woods ranges. As for the pre 64, I rigged up a scout scope setup for it to replace the side mounted scope I had mounted on it. Those side mounts are even worse than see-thrus.

To make a long story short, I never found the Winchesters to be inaccurate or poor handling rifles, rather the reverse, but they just don't compare to Marlins in any respect.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links