to sling or not to sling
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tinhorn
    Member #

to sling or not to sling

just wondering...how many use a sling on their 336 and who doesnt? also whats your reason for which ever you choose? i always had a sling on my bolt gun but now that i have started rifle hunting again, with a 336, i dont know that im gonna use a sling. my reason- i got a 336 as a woods carbine. my max shots even out in the open are 125yrds. when i toted a 270 i always had it on my shoulder and honestly i missed my chance at a few bucks, simple b/c i couldnt get my rifle into position for a shot. also seems like adding a sling would eliminate some of the manueverability characteristics that i like in the 336. but as with anything a carbine can even get heavy after slipping thru alabama creek bottoms all day

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: to sling or not to sling

I came up with a rig for my LTD as a one point sling. I do not know how those AR fellas keep the strap on their body...but I came up w/a set up that I use hogging in the marsh hammocks. I have a velcro strap around the grip(yea it's not great..) and a single attach point to it...over my shoulder and clipped to my jeans(now to a double strap suspender(and I look goofy in suspenders))
    It carries the gun high and I can keep a bent wrist over the top of the stock. I do this on the LTD and my .44 both having straight stocks. I get max flexibility which I need as were I hog you go from 0-100 in 2 seconds and I have complete freedom to swing and rest.
    Tree stands and the like I remove any strap.

You should google the Youtube vid of fast shooting a 45/70 for a bear charge. It shows how fast a lever can be brought to... bear.
    cw
    quot;One of the most noble things you can do is kill the enemy"-Maj. Douglas A. Zembiec

Tinhorn
    Member #

I use one on mine. It's nice to have when you feel like throwing it over your shoulder. Plus, when you get your deer, it easier to sling the gun and drag your deer out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #

so i gotta ask....is the white and brown dot on the buttstock where you drill to install a stud?

Tinhorn
    Member #

No. I've heard it's called "the bullseye". Not sure if there is a real purpose for it. Perhaps it's just decorative. But I wouldn't put it there. Mine is secured between it & the but plate.

Oh, there are plenty of slings that are detachable. The one I use has some Uncle Mike's swivels that you depress a pin & it easily unhooks.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

The Marlin's Bulls eye is decor only.
    Ss
    quot;The second amendment is obscure only when history is ignored."

Charlton Heston

GbyGbA

Deadeye
    Member #

I use one of these slip on slings on my 30-30, a 1976 rifle without the hardware for sling swivels. Works fine for my needs.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0027338210183a

Platinum Poster
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by b.m.b
    so i gotta ask....is the white and brown dot on the buttstock where you drill to install a stud?
    It makes the Marlin stand out on a rack from Winnys and also lets you know it's a walnut stock.. NO don't drill it the stud for the swivel goes behind that toward the butt .. about 1'' or so if I recall correct..
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Tinhorn
    Member #

thats interesting. i never knew it was decorative. i noticed that in all pics everyone puts the stud below it.....i always thought" why dont people use the spot thats already marked for them" hahaha, glad i asked.

Tinhorn
    Member #

so what about the front swivel??. the forearm band doesnt have a stud. so i would need to put it on the mag tube. are there any half bands or just full bands? the reason i ask is i wouldnt want to jeopardize my guns zero....i have it set perfect for the saturday opener.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links