Stirring The Pot?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wrangler
    Member #

Stirring The Pot?

The newest/flattest shoot'in magnum or a levergun?; guess it depends on how good a hunter you are
    Team 35 Rem # 279 336SC
    Team 45-70 # 431 1895G
    1895LTD IV
    Rolling Block
    Team 450 # 60 1895MR
    Winchester 94, 1866-1966 Centennial

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Stirring The Pot?

I was never into magnums. Give me a lever or a 30-06.
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26

Wrangler
    Missouri (Proudly born & raised in Florida though)
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Halwg
    IMHO: The .30-06 is a great round, but overrated. The .35 Whelen is ballistically superior and "cooler" IMHO. Just a lever'll do here!
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's Liberty, Teeth, and Keystone under Independence." George Washington

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Halwg
    Gee, that's all I have now!
    "What's my favorite rifle? The one I'm shooting."
    Team 30-30 #312

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I happen to love lever rifles, but I also have a passion for big bore rifles and handguns...... It's not a "Macho" thing like some guys tend to spout off about. It's what I like and I could care less what others think or say. If someone has a problem with me liking/shooting/owning a "Magnum"....... Oh Well!!!

I could sit here and mouth off why these certain guys feel the need to mouth off about it being a "Macho" thing, but then I'd be insulting them and stooping to their level..... so I'll be respectful and zip it!
    Steve, in Massachusetts...

I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt.

Be American, Buy American... Stimulate!

Super Site Contributor - Team 35 Remington Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

I have a couple of magnums, a 7mm Remington and a .300 Winchester, but it's been so long since I've shot either of them that I've forgotten when the last time was. It's been years. They have their uses, but are far more rifle than I need now. I probably should sell them and get more Marlins, but I kinda like having them around. Go figure.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

Team 1894 Co-Captain Distinguished Master
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by six_gunz
    I happen to love lever rifles, but I also have a passion for big bore rifles and handguns...... It's not a "Macho" thing like some guys tend to spout off about. It's what I like and I could care less what others think or say. If someone has a problem with me liking/shooting/owning a "Magnum"....... Oh Well!!!

I could sit here and mouth off why these certain guys feel the need to mouth off about it being a "Macho" thing, but then I'd be insulting them and stooping to their level..... so I'll be respectful and zip it!
    I have never quite understood the "hate" for a magnum rifle. Should they only make one Chevy, Dodge, or Ford model truck? How about just one color truck? Is the guy that drives a 1 ton pickup a less skilled driver than one who drives a 1/2 ton truck?

Personally, I think we are very fortunate to have so many choices for so many different hunting/shooting scenarios.

bjm

Gunfighter
    Member #

I have quite a few magnums and really like them. But I had rather hunt with a 336 for the type hunting I do. My average shot is less than 100 yds. The longest possible shot wouldn't be 200 yds. I have killed my share of deer in my time. I hunted for 2 years at night and killed 85 deer and only hunted during season only at night. I killed the 85 with a 22 mag. and only 1 shot each. You don't need a super cal rifle to kill a deer if you place your shots right. With my shooting ability and my experience hunting I can kill any deer with a 30-30 as well as any big mag cal. I have gone thru the killing phase being all important to enjoying my hunt's now I pass up more deer than ever before because I dont want to ruin a good day hunting by killing a deer and having to spend 4 or 5 hours cleaning and packaging deer meat. I will kill 2 to 3 a year and that's all I want to fool with and plenty to last until the next year. Last year I hunted mostly with handguns and enjoyed it a lot. I have killed a couple of deer with my pistols and am confident in my shooting that a pistol is fine for hunting. I will probably use handguns and 30-30's this coming year and if I shoot I will kill. I enjoy watching deer and see a lot that I could kill probably but if I don't know I can make a clean kill I will pass up a iffy shot. The last 5 deer I have were all head shots. I haven't trailed a deer that I shot in probably 25 years. But I don't mind passing up less than perfect chances to make a killing shot. I would pass up the biggest deer in the woods if I wasn't sure I could kill it cleanly. I get poed when I am in the woods and hear someone shoot 4 to 5 shots at a deer. They didn't have a shot and should have passed the deer up. I also hunt with encores and feel confident with one shot.

Wes
    Gunfighter
    Member #

I have a bunch of other rifle types besides levers. They are collecting dust in my gun safes. The only one I've used in quite a while is my 35 Whelen. Great cartrige. I do have two magnums, a 300 H&H and a 270 Weatherby (in a ruger #1). Both are outstanding rifle/cartrige combos, but they just don't trip my trigger like the Marlins I have.
    30-06 is a great cartrige, no doubt. Mine would do anything I needed, but I turned it into a 35 Whelen and have never looked back.
    I have put my applications in for some of Wyoming's limited quota deer and elk areas that are close to me. If I draw them I'll have to pack one of the magnums. Long shots are the norm out that way. Big open sage country. Lots of big hillsides and canyons. Other than that, I generally pack one of my Marlins.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Tommy Kelly---Why and where did you hunt deer at night? I'm just curious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links