Left handed shooting w a R handed rifle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Left handed shooting w a R handed rifle

Got a question here.

I'm right handed and having a frustrating time aiming with both eyes open using my right eye. This is because the left eye has become very dominant as I've become older. I know have to look at the sights with the left eye closed and then open it or I cannot have the right eye be the dominant one, and the temporary dominance is very easy to lose. Plus the right eye can no longer keep the rear sight in focus.

So . . . since I've never tried this, with a right handed rifle, will the spent cartridges clear my body if shooting left handed?

JohnnyLoco

Re: Left handed shooting w a R handed rifle

My son has no problem.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Sure, you won't notice. The worst thing that can happen is the expended casings will be deflected stopped by your right arm. The lever is very adaptable firearm for lefties.

I don't know what to say about your eye dominance, I have never heard of such. Would a scope help?

SS
    quot;The second amendment is obscure only when history is ignored."

Charlton Heston

GbyGbA

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #

I shoot lefty and I've found that if I lever the round properly (i.e., quickly and forcefully) the spent cartridge will sail straight out to the side or over my right shoulder...never had a problem being hit by the brass
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
    -Abraham Lincoln

Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sidewinder
    Member #

I shoot left also. I had to give up a Winchester model 64 years ago because it ejected spent cases into my forehead. My 336A has no problems keeping the cases off me, and is in 35 cal to boot. Oh, and don't focus on the rear sight, only the front sight.
    "What's my favorite rifle? The one I'm shooting."
    Team 30-30 #312

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I currently have a caterac in the right eye so shot left handed last time out, none hit me. Have you tried using a ghost ring sight. Your eye will naturally seek the center and you only focus on the front and target, don't know if it will help but you might give it a try.
    BOT GBUSA, Charter member team 444.
    Life member NRA, Life member WAC.

Member #

I used to shoot lefty when I was younger (I'm right handed), due to having a left eye dominance.
    My vision has deteriorated in my left eye (still dominant though) so for the last 15yrs or so I switched to right hand shooting and shut the left eye to let the right do its job.
    Shooting the Marlin lever action left handed is no problem.....lots of guys do it.
    Steve, in Massachusetts...

I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt.

Be American, Buy American... Stimulate!

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

I am presuming you are talking open sights. If so simply switch to a ghost ring style rear.

I shoot with either hand with peeps and keep both eyes open either hand.

If the problem persists I would get an extended eye relief scope in a low power 1 up to 3X or a variable 1.5 to 4 or such. With the extended your sight picture is almost instant and yours with both open still focus on the crosshairs on the target while the other works with that to keep the target aquired.

Member #

Same problem: left-eye dominant, righthanded body.

Years ago I could go either way in a crowded, two-person duck blind. But when the Army offered a 3-day pass for scoring Expert there wasn't any doubt which side I'd use. I went lefthanded from that day forward, and made good use of those three days away from the barracks. :P

I've got several Marlins that I fire lefthanded and I have no problem with spent cases from any of the calibers. But I think the Army may have had something to do with that, too. After shooting a gazillion rounds lefthanded through a righthanded M1 you're pretty well desensitized to flying brass. Now the M1 clips clanging off your helmet is another matter.
    The sooner you get behind the more time you have to catch up -- Stephen Wright

Member #

Left handed, left eyed, shoot rifles left handed. Let's face it, I'm a southpaw.

I've never had any real major problems with right handed rifles with the exceptions of:

> I just can't get the knack of using right handed bolt actions. And I have no desire to go through the pain of learning. It is just too bad that more manufacturers don't make left handed bolts, and that those who do won't make them price competitive.

> Back when I was in the Army, my assigned M-16 had this nasty trait of spitting empties right down the open collar of my fatigue shirt. If they made it past the t-shirt underneath, then, well -- ever seen anyone doing the "hot brass dance"?

Even so, it is still a PITA to be a southpaw in the great wide right handed world of firearms. Everything is -- backwards. The safety is on the wrong side (assuming there is one). The loading gate is on the wrong side (assuming there is one). Same thing about mag releases. You can work around the right-handed engineering to a certain extent, but at the end of the day it is still backwards.
    Come And Take It
    --
    Sigh, this traveling show has left Tx (for now) and has landed in Fl. Hey, at least it is still in Free America.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links