Copper fouling in a micro groove barrel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Copper fouling in a micro groove barrel

A little input would be much appreciated. Seems like I cant get off more than 50 to 60 rounds in my 336, without seeing my groups start to deteriorate. I use 170 gr jrn bullets, over 3031 powder as a consistant load for the range. Lately, it seems that I'm getting more copper fouling than in the past. The rifle is only a year old, but I do shoot it a good 40 + rounds a week. It has been in the high 20's to low 30's here in upstate NY lately, but I cannot believe that the temperature outdoors should have anything to do with this, or am I wrong. Second item is can anyone tell me if they have had better success with less copper fouling from one brand of bullet over the others. Third, would anybody be willing to share their info about their best accuracy reload for a 336 in 30-30. Thanks up front for your responses.

Steve

Eph 1:7

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: Copper fouling in a micro groove barrel

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but -- how do you clean? It may be that you're not getting it really, squeaky clean, and sometimes it seems that the merest trace left in the bore will "attract" more.

I'll also say that I own lots of rifles, and most of them will begin to show a bit of a downhill slide in accuracy after 50 rounds. If I'm going to the range for a high-volume shooting session, I will take along what I need to give the bore at least a partial cleaning somewhere along the way.
    Pisgah
    ------------------
    "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

Sidewinder
    Member #

I'm just getting into reloading but, I've heard that Reloder 15 has less copper fouling. I'm sure somebody else will chime in on it.
    '91 30AS - Team 30-30, Member #17

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

JohnnyLoco

I run a brush and cleaner through mine every 15 rounds. Always have, always will.

Tinhorn
    Member #

I agree, 50 rounds is quite a number to not begin to see some deteriotion in accuracy. I would always clean after no more than 20 shots. I have used H335 powder for 3030 both in a Model 336 and Win94, burns clean and I got good accuracy (full load w/ 150gr bullet). Could kick myself for gettin rid of that 336, but i looked at another last night and hope to pick one up soon.
    Craig

Wrangler
    Member #

Yes, I agree , 50 rounds is to much shooting w/o a good cleaning. I clean about every 10-15 rounds . And this may be very elemenary , but i wipe the brass cleaning rod off to after each trip down the barrel when I pull the brush out or you may carry more crud back down into the barrel , I hate to bring that up , but I was guilty of that little overlook.
    John 3:30

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

Accuracy depends on a zillion variables. Powder and copper fouling are facts of life, but if what you seek most is accuracy, you have to clean the barrel frequently. When I test loads, I start with a barrel that's squeaky-clean, fire five fouling shots, and test four five-shot groups, slowly and carefully. Then it's time to clean again. I would never expect my rifle to deliver the best accuracy after more than 25 rounds. It might still shoot minute-of-deer, but it won't shoot its best unless it's almost clean. As was said, once it starts to foul, it fouls faster and faster with each shot.

I've tried a zillion copper solvents, and what I keep re-learning over and over again is that you have to clean out the powder fouling, then the copper, then the powder, then the copper, until it's really clean. That's the way it fouls, and that's the way it has to be cleaned. Yes, it's a lot of work. And yes, if you do it right, you'll be rewarded with groups that will make your eyes sparkle, your nose moist and cool, and your coat shine. But it's still a lot of work! As Mom always says, good things take more work. And as you all know, Mom is NEVER wrong.

Just ask her.
    "Any black kid from the projects available to shout 'how dare you' about six times in front of the UN? Maybe then these virtue-signaling, good-for-nothing, leftist politicians and celebrities will jump to fix the neighborhoods that have been devastated by their policies." —Candace Owens

Really Short Fuse Administrator
    Edmond, Oklahoma - That's just North of the Red River Team .444 Charter Member
    Member #

Firelap it and no more worries bro.

Dave
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/
    MO Member #77

Tinhorn
    Member #

Ditto on the firelap, i did a ruger blackhawk & a rem 7400 rifle and it makes an incredible difference in cleaning and accuracy. Used bear tooth bullet supplies.

Dave, any idea how many rounds it would take for marlin stainless?
    Craig

Tinhorn
    Member #

SHIND444, I don't want to blow my own horn but go to my web site www.ultracoatingsinc.com and look at ultra bore coat. PM me if you have any questions, bill
    "Be not afraid of any man, No matter what his size, When in danger - call on me And I will equalize.: Samuel Colt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links