Dad gum quandry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dad gum quandry

Tinhorn
    Member #

Dad gum quandry

My beautiful wife told me that I can get a new levergun after Christmas. That's awesome, but the quandry I have is...which one to get. I have a 336RC 30/30. I used to have a .35 Rem but traded it in on a different firearm. I'd love to have another 30/30, even a 336W after L'm&L'm's recent success, but I'd also love to have a .35 again. I can't get both right now so that isnt the answer.

I'm planning a hog hunt in Southern Missouri with some buddies of mine in April and I AM going deer hunting next year. Either one of those calibers would be suitable which doesnt help any.

Ammo availability in these trying times (you all know what I mean) has me leaning towards another 30/30, but the Hammer of Thor capabilities of the .35 (and the one I had before was gorgeous) has me leaning that way.

I'm torn. Help give me some different angles.
    When the ways of people please the Lord, he makes even their enemies live at peace with them. Proverbs 16:7 NLT

Marlin 336RC 30-30 (1965)

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: Dad gum quandry

You really need a 35 rem. With the pure bone crushing power that just drops deer even if you dont hit them. I really dont see how you have gone so long without one.

All joking aside, I would rather have rifles chambered in two different calibers over two just about identical rifles in the same. As far as hard times go, you can be a little more opportunistic in case they run out of 30-30 you could pick up that box of 35 remington sitting on the shelf that no one else is able to use.

By the way, your a lucky man with a wife like that.
    1895GS.45-70 Govt.

Wrangler
    Member #

If you already have a 30-30 get the .35. Also your wife rocks, she should speak with mine
    milinnc

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

How about a 45-70 or even 444. They work real well on hogs. 35 is no slouch either.

Tinhorn
    Member #

georgeky,

Thanks for the input, but the big bores might come later on in the collection. Now, that I have the guns I "need"*, I want to start collecting the ones I want. I want Marlin Leverguns. At the top of the list is either another 30/30 or a .35 and with the help above it looks like I'm leaning more towards the .35. After that I'd like to get a 39A and then an 1894C...so the big bores are down further on the list. I wouldnt turn one down if you want to give me one for Christmas!

*This is my opinion and y'all are free to agree or not makes me no difference.
    I believe every man needs to have a shotgun, a varmint hunting rifle, a larger game rifle, a social rifle (think EBR), a compact concealed carry handgun, and a full size handgun.
    When the ways of people please the Lord, he makes even their enemies live at peace with them. Proverbs 16:7 NLT

Member #

I believe every man should have as many guns as he can amass.

Guess I better keep my big bore Marlin lever guns.

Super Site Contributor - Team 35 Remington Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

I'd go with the .35 Remington. They are just plain awesome. And, since you already have a .30-30, it would seem to be the logical choice.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

Tinhorn
    Member #

I agree. I think that is what I'll do. I think I even found the one I'm going to get. I found a brand new .35 Rem at a shop this morning for $427.00. They have a generous layaway program so that is what I'm gonna do, after Christmas. In fact it's the same place I bought my previous .35Rem.

(They also had a new 336C 30/30 for $399.00.)

I pray to God that I'm smart enough to keep this one when I get it. I do wish Marlin would have kept the bullseye. The new one doesnt have one but the one I had, did. There is also a noticeable reduction in the recoil pad of the new one versus the old one. Oh well...C'est la vie!

Thanks for the help, so far... Keep the ideas coming!

Member #

O.K,, I am going a different direction here.. If I had a wife,, that will not ever happen,, but if I did and said I could get what I wanted in a Marlin I would go for something a little different that not everyone had, my choice would be a 336CB in 38-55cal. GREAT caliber for everything from Deer to Elk up too 100-125 yards, the .35 Rem. is fine but there is just something about a lever gun in 38-55,, it's unique and not everyone has one. Just something else to ponder on.
    "Free Men Do Not Ask Permission To Bear Arms"
    Team 45/70 Member #26
    Team 444 Member #318
    Team 35 Member #135
    Team 30/30 Member #74

Super Site Contributor - Team 35 Remington Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

For a while they stopped using the bullseyes on the walnut stocked rifles, but thanks to complaints from this forum they're using them again. The one you saw at the store must have been one of the emblemless ones. If you call Marlin, the'll send you out one for free, or so I am told.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links