1958 336A Bishop stocked single "X" tang stamping

Tenderfoot
    Member #

1958 336A Bishop stocked single "X" tang stamping

Hi all, I was reading another post where the OP asked a question regarding his 336 being an ADL or just an A. Some members with a lot of knowledge answered his questions and doing so indicated that upon removing the stock a XX stamping would be on the tang indicating a ADL model. I posted in that thread asking about a single X marking. I just wanted to post a new thread to get an answer regarding the single X marking. Could it indicate an upgraded 336A regarding the Bishop stock and lyman folding rear sight?

marlin 336A 004.jpgmarlin 336A 001.jpgmarlin 336A 008.jpgmarlin 336A 005.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I have a marlin e 39 made back in 48 which has a bishop stock similar to yours but mine does not have any markings like yours does

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I see that your rifle has a receiver sight. Whoever added that probably added the folding leaf rather than a slot blank. (Is the receiver sight a Lyman product too?)

How about a tight shot of the roll stamp on the barrel of your rifle?

Another interesting thing is the partial serial number on the top tang; ordinarily, the complete number is there. Let's see what develops...
    Last edited by Mike Leck; 03-26-2013 at 09:38 PM.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Hi Mike, I was the one that added the receiver sight and yes it is a lyman (md#66La). From the research I have done so far, that lyman folding rear sight came on this Model gun along with the Bishop stock. I found a 1958 Marlin add that shows both of those upgrades on the 336A during that time frame. I'm 99.9% sure this gun is all original (minus the receiver sight I added) from the research I have done, my only question is the singular X designation. Why the first numeral of the serial # is not stamped on the tang, my best assumption is that at some point in time they did partials, the stock has the full serial number on one side and the R then the X on the other as the photo's show. Photo's of the barrel stamp (I used some chalk to high light the stamp).
    marlin 336A part #2 001.jpgmarlin 336A part #2 002.jpgmarlin 336A part #2 003.jpg

Wrangler
    Member #
    I have original 1960, '61, and '62 Marlin catalogs that feature the Model 336A with the Monte Carlo combed stock, Lyman fold down rear sight, and factory installed sling swivels; and these features are noted in all these period catalog descriptions as standard for this model. I've owned 1959, 1960, and 1962 336A models and all those guns had the Lyman rear sight; so my thinking is that the Lyman rear sight was a standard feature of the 1957-1962 Marlin Model 336A with the Bishop Monte Carlo stocks. As to serial number stamps, it was not uncommon for gunmakers not to stamp an entire serial number on each part, but instead to use only the last three-four digits of those numbers; and hey, if a guy hand-stamping these parts had gotten a bit behind and was holding up the assembly line, why wouldn't he shorten these hand-stamped numbers in order to save some time? From my study of vintage American double guns, only major gun components featured a full serial number stamp, all other serial numbered parts were stamped with the last 3-4 digits of the serial number; and the only reason these parts were stamped at all was because they had been hand fitted, and the stamped numbers were necessary to insure the correct parts were placed back in the same gun as the gun was assembled/disassembled throughout the various stages of finishing. As to the single "X" stamp on this 336A, I'm beginning to think this was an internal production code stamp used to denote/distinguish these later model 336A's from the ADL's stamped "XX"; and perhaps these two different stamps were used because the ADL's were advertised as being just a bit better fitted and finished than the lower priced A models? This is an interesting question for which more research is required; and perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge will chime in.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I have looked at a lot of Marlins, but I am far from expert. I suspect the one and two "X" marks were to guide the stock installers when the time came. One for the A, two for the ADL? I was wrong once, it could happen again! Jack
    Jack.

This I-pad knows what I want to say and how to spell better than I do. Sometimes I catch it's mistakes, sometimes I don't.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Interesting thoughts so far, SB have you seen this singular X stamp on any of your same period guns, which had the bishop stock and folding sight ? I'm leaning with papabear's thinking that it was to indicate what type of stock (upgrade) that was being installed on that particular receiver, which would explain why both the stock and receiver tang were stamped with the serial # and one X (hand fitting). I would like to see if that singular X stamping is found on other 336A guns of the period (1957-62) with the same features. I did some searching on the internet and could not find any listed for sale (current or completed) with those features, they have to be out there.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links