32-40 BP question
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By OLSKOOL
  • 5 Post By Herrschutz
  • 3 Post By Travlin

Thread: 32-40 BP question

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #

32-40 BP question

a 1893 marlin in 32-40 that is in good condition that is marked "for black powder" on the barrel, I assume it would be safe to shoot with modern black powder? dose anybody have one they shoot? thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    msharley and Herrschutz like this.
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

everybody has a plan until they get hit in the mouth,,mike Tyson,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Tinhorn
    Member #
    From what I was told years ago, any modern black powder will be adequate. Not smokeless or Pyrodex. Look into cowboy shooting and the like for confirmation and suggestions, but this is what the "smart" folks back in the day were preaching.

Enjoy!
    The Schloff, Too young to be old. Too old to be young.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by OLSKOOL View Post
    a 1893 marlin in 32-40 that is in good condition that is marked "for black powder" on the barrel, I assume it would be safe to shoot with modern black powder? dose anybody have one they shoot? thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    OLSKOOL,

I have a Marlin/Ballard mfg 1888 that I shoot several times per year using modern BP. No issues. I use GOEX Fg, fill the cast to around 1/8" over my seating depth with the wad, compress 1/8", use .060 veg wad over the powder, and a thin wad of target paper touching the bullet. If the big wad sticks to the base of the bullet at all, expect poor accuracy.

The Fg reacts just like slower burning smokeless powders. You get more velocity with lower pressures. FFg is the other option. It will produce a little higher pressure spike and a little lower fps than the Fg. Both are safe for the old steel parts.

Once you fire the case, do not resize. Leave it puffed out to better fill the chamber on the next shot using BP. All you need is enough crimp to keep the bullet from falling out of the case. It's not going anywhere else because it is sitting on top of a compressed powder charge.

The secret about BP is it puffs the case into the sides of the chamber and holds there. No real force back on the bolt face and action parts. When you use smokeless, the case does not grab the chamber. Smokeless puts more pressure on the bolt and action.

Enjoy the old girl. If you can find some 140-145 gr case PBB use them first. If all works well, move up to the traditional 160-170gr cast PBB's.

If you cast your own, use 30-1 alloy for best results.
    HerrSchutz
    NRA Life 1974
    40 gr to 535 gr, all moving at the most accurate velocity!
    Darwin was right, when left alone, nature has very efficient and effective ways of strengthening the gene pool​.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by OLSKOOL View Post
    Duplicate, slow server or connection
    Last edited by Herrschutz; 03-25-2020 at 09:33 PM.
    HerrSchutz
    NRA Life 1974
    40 gr to 535 gr, all moving at the most accurate velocity!
    Darwin was right, when left alone, nature has very efficient and effective ways of strengthening the gene pool​.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Don't forget to de-prime and wash the cartridge cases very soon after firing them. And of course clean the rifle quickly and use black powder lube on the cast bullets. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook could be very helpful to you.
    OLSKOOL, Big Al1 and Herrschutz like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links