Can I find a Vernier Tang Sight for my Win 1892? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Can I find a Vernier Tang Sight for my Win 1892?

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Here's a few pic's of the sight as it would sit if I mounted it. As I stated, folding the sight forward puts the sight against the trigger, and folding it rearward has the aperture sitting right against the nose of the stock.

While thinking about this, I suppose a shorter vernier type sight would (maybe) fold forward and be more compact (if it didn't hit the trigger) but folding it back the aperture would still hit the stock's nose.

Maybe I'm overthinking this?

IMG_5402.JPGIMG_7573.JPG
    I shoot all my rabbits with Hornady's dangerous game bullets.
    Team Winchester #101
    Team 32 Special #149
    Team 38-55 #3
    I got lot's more in the back.....

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Well, after much thought I ordered the Marbles Tang sight. Yes....the single post sight that I didn't really want.....but I think that will work out much better than the vernier type. At least on my rifle.
    Ojaileveraction likes this.
    Team Winchester #101
    Team 32 Special #149
    Team 38-55 #3

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    Well, after much thought I ordered the Marbles Tang sight. Yes....the single post sight that I didn't really want.....but I think that will work out much better than the vernier type. At least on my rifle.
    I have one on my 39A. Love it so far. I swapped the original rear for one with a folding leaf. I do not like slot fillers cause they just look like slot fillers.
    davemuzz likes this.
    Steve_In
    People say money can't buy happiness But it can buy me a Marlin and ammo to shoot in it, dies, powder bullets...

Team Southpaw #9 TEAM 1894 #400

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I received my Marble Arm's post type tang mount peep sight. I will state that after handling this sight, I find it to be well built and very solid!! I read several reviews and even watched a few videos from people who reviewed these stating they were not well built or "strong" in nature. I don't see any of that at all.

I'll mount this and post my results and thoughts.....but right now it appears to be just what I want.

FWIW

Dave
    Big Al1 and Steve_In like this.
    Team Winchester #101
    Team 32 Special #149
    Team 38-55 #3

Gunfighter
    Member #
    There's nothing wrong with the Marbles sight, ive several through the years. Never a problem.
    Enjoy!!

Joe
    Team 444 #134
    Team 45-70 #2
    '79 1894 44 mag
    1894P
    39A Golden Mountie

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I got my Marble's tang sight installed and I like it a bunch. It was "interesting" to install as the tang screw (the big one....not the small one) did not screw in until I did some work on the longer screw.

At first I checked the threads on the new bolt against the threads on the old bolt. Threads matched up at 28tpi and I checked that with a thread gauge. I then mic'ed the diameter of the old screw vs the new screw and found the new one to be (IIRC) about 7-thousands larger in diameter. The new screw would not screw into the lower tang of the rifle. Needless to say.....I was perplexed.

So, I chucked up the new screw in a drill press and with a fine stone made the diameter about the same. Then....using a jewelry file (3-corner) and carefully smoothed out the screws grooves and then re-shaped the end of the screw. A good clean up of filings and a drop of oil and the tang screw went right in.

So now the original screws and original rear buckhorn sight are marked in a box and stored in my arts of guns: location. Hopefully I'll get to the range today and adjust the tang sight and see how the groupings are. I'll post some pics after that happens.
    Team Winchester #101
    Team 32 Special #149
    Team 38-55 #3

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Here's a few pics of the Marbles tang sight installed. At the range from a bench, I'm grouping about 3" at 100 yards. For a 108YO rifle that's more than acceptable!! Here's the pics:

gUiOtSI.jpg

vvOgTBU.jpg
    Team Winchester #101
    Team 32 Special #149
    Team 38-55 #3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links