Marlin Firearms Forum banner

JM Marlin 38/55

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Goshawk 
#1 ·
I have an opportunity to purchase a Marlin 38/55, octagon bbl, 2002 manf. JM stamped very good condition inside and out . I am seeing prices all over the place from 685 to 1250. What is a reasonable offer to make. I know, if you want it, pay whatever to get it. My life will go on without this rifle, but sure would like to have it. Thanks for any info.
Bob

#7 ·
Around my part of the country, one in decent shape should bring $1,000 or more. As they get nicer, or like new, they will go up accordingly. There are not that many JM Cowboys around & there will be no more.
Fwiw, I bought mine new in 2003 (under $400??) & it shoots GREAT! That being said, I decided that I would like to have one in .30-30 (a bit rarer in that caliber!). I looked all over the country & found a couple that had seen 20 years of use & still asking $1,500. I finally found one in Kansas that a guy had bought new & only put a box of ammo through it & put it away for 20 years. Looked new in the box, still in the plastic sleeve. I gladly paid $1500 for it.
So, you are right, it is worth what YOU decide is worth it! Bidding wars can skew things though. Guys get their testosterone flowing & they will bid more than reasonable to win! The heat of battle you know!

#9 ·
I believe I paid $1,350.00 for mine. Perfect condition with very nice wood on buttstock and forearm. I am happy with the deal. Rifle shoots very well and has only had a couple of loads tried in it. I slugged the barrel and use 260 gr. Hunter Supply @ .381 and 28 gr of IMR 4895. Gives me 1447 fps average 10 shot string and I can get 2" at 100 with a Williams rear and Lyman from with the smallest dot/post included with the front sight. Very accurate and fairly mild. Shoots just as well with Unique ~10.1 (where my first few test drops fell - I just left it there.) 1244 fps on the test string. Very mild and seemed as accurate as the heavier load of IMR 4895.

#10 ·
I stopped shopping for guns a few years ago. JM Marlins are getting too rich for my budget.

Best of luck winning that rifle! Sounds like a good find.

Reactions: 1Merlin and vt4ster
#11 ·
I would start low $685 and stop when I reach my price, i'd pay.:joyman:

Reactions: 1Merlin
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.