Marlin Firearms Forum banner

.327 Federal

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Old Goat Keeper 
#1 ·
I was at my local dealer yesterday and saw a Ruger SS revolver in .327 Federal. It was the first I had seen this caliber. He said it would also shoot several other .32 rounds. Any info on this chambering would be appreciated. Thanks, Fom

#4 ·
It is a lengthened .32 Mag, straight walled, therefore it will not shoot the bottlenecked .32-20. It will fire the .32 Mag, .32 S&W Long and the .32 S&W. Pressure is no more than the .357 Mag levels. Very nice round for the smaller carry concealed pistols. Sposed to dup. the .357 Mag 110 grain loadings.

I have yet to see any Rugers for it or any ammo where I live.

#9 ·
Fomdiddle said:
I was at my local dealer yesterday and saw a Ruger SS revolver in .327 Federal. It was the first I had seen this caliber. He said it would also shoot several other .32 rounds. Any info on this chambering would be appreciated. Thanks, Fom
327 is a small block chevy ;D

#11 ·
Yeah, Umm, Stay away from "Government Motors".. Anyway, on the 327 Federal, it will fire the 32 H&R Mag, and the 32 S&W.. It is a Great mild recoiling Cartridge, especially for smaller built shooters or women, or for practicing skills and honing them for combat shotting and target sight aquisition while firing.

So far here are the guns Chambered for it that I know of..

RUGER SP101- 6 Shot Compact Dbl Action Revolver 3 inch barrel

RUGER GP100- 7 Shot Full Size Dbl Action Revolver (NEW FOR 2010) 4.2 inch barrel

RUGER BLACKHAWK- 8 Shot Single Action Revolver (NEW FOR 2010) 5.5 inch barrel

Charter Arms also makes two versions, a 4 inch barrel and a snubbie version.. Other Makers are on their way..

For A Cartridge that gets 1650 FPS out of the Blackhawk version, this would be a screamer in a compact marlin.. And Yes, it can handle the pressure.. Keep in mind that while the pressure is higher with this cartridge, it generates less recoil than heavy Buffalo Bore 44 Mag Ammo that gets fired in the same action.. The 327 Federal would be completely safe inside a Marlin 1894..

#12 ·
Good morning
I seriously dought an increase of pressure by 5000 would cause a catastofic failure in a Marlin 94.
What is is bigger issue is Bolt Thrust and a 110 grain bullet is not going to overstress the Marlin looking system.
Marlin is in buisness for money. AS soon as they see a viable Money market they will build it.

#13 ·
Smaller case head on the 327 vs. the 357. Smaller case head would be less thrust on the bolt at equal pressure, with smaller diameter and higher pressure should be close to the same or less thrust. DP

#14 ·
Fomdiddle said:
Yeah but the gubment now owns GM hence the "federal" designation. ;D
Careful now, Comrade Fomdiddle; we're monitoring your capitalist phone calls through the USA Patriot Act here at the Directorate of Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Remember we are the Department of Homeland Security, tovarich . . . Homeland Security (insert evil laughter here)!!!

#15 ·
LT said:
Fomdiddle said:
327 is a small block chevy ;D
Ah, the 60s - driving a 66 Chevy II with a 283 sporting 327 heads and a Carter 4 barreled carb. . .

#16 ·
I recently obtained an GP100 in .327 Federal. I love this revolver! The only problem I have now is finding ammo. The only round found so far has been the hollow point defense rounds. Looking for the 100 grain AE brand or brass. It does shoot 32 S&W, 32 S&W long along with the 32 H&R mags. Recoil is very manageable in the GP100. I had the choice of either GP100 or Blackhawk. Since I intend to carry it no choice really. And yes full tilt load push the 357 and it runs at 40,000 psi when maxed out. I'd KILL for an 1894 in 327 Federal! There are several articles on GunBlasts.com on the .327 Federal.

#17 ·
OGK,
We just picked up our Blackhawk. The gun is a bit heavy for belt carry. The 5.5” 327 BH weighs 47 ½ oz. Our 7.5” 30 Carbine weighs 44 3/4oz and our Buckeye BH weighs 49 oz with the 32-20 cylinder. These guns are easy to shoot but you need a shoulder holster to tote em. I will say this; a 6.5” Model 27 S&W is heavier!
Looking forward to hearing what your handgun likes for loads. We see this as a heavy bullet handgun and plan on shooting 100-grain and heavier bullets. I believe a 120- or 125-grain bullet will prove useful. We have started off with Hodgdon 110, Lil’ Gun and Winchester 296.

I see the rifles as better with the 32 H&R Magnum. Even the 32 H&R Magnum can be too powerful for small game we intend to eat – of course we can always load down.

#18 ·
JasonTrice said:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,52569.0.html
thread about a .327 magnum in lever action.

I am faily sure that the .327 has alot more pressure, i'll have to check. maybe your right ???
After checking out the Feb 2009 Handloader Magazine's write up, they say it is an "ATK proprietary" and loaded to 45,000 psi, which is 10,000 greater pressure than the .357 Magnum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.