the garage gunsmith: trigger job on my Marlin 375
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: the garage gunsmith: trigger job on my Marlin 375

Wrangler
    Member #

the garage gunsmith: trigger job on my Marlin 375

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Wild West Guns "Happy Trigger" for my Marlin 444. A nice fellow pointed me to some disassembly and reassembly instructions for this trigger. Yesterday I worked up the courage to give it a try and, just as promised, everything came apart quite nicely and best of all, went back together just as nicely. So my 444 now has the Happy Trigger installed. (I added a post about it over at the Marlin 444 forum).

Since no good deed goes unpunished I decided, Hey, I can just as easily take apart and reassemble my Marlin 375, cleaning up the trigger in-between the take-apart and the put-together. And I'm happy to report: no problems whatsoever !! My plan was to stone & polish all the moving surfaces on the trigger and the hammer and the sear. No problem at all with that either. After reassembly the trigger pull feels very very nice and smooth.

Of Particular Interest: I found several of those surfaces to be exceptionally rough. That's a relative term of course, but many machine marks were more like grooves/serrations. As I started to stone & smooth the sides of the sear the severity of the "roughness" was quite apparent. Likewise the sides of the trigger, and the matching surfaces of the casting (I don't know the name of the part) that mounts the trigger/sear assembly to the receiver.

SO, I'm of the opinion that performing such a trigger cleanup will be quite beneficial.

Cheers,

Carl

p.s. also of possible interest, I asked the fellow at Wild West Guns if the 444 Happy Trigger would fit the 375. He said maybe, he did not know for sure.
    During the take-apart, the 375 trigger & sear looks a lot like I remember the 444 looking.
    gunscrewguy likes this.

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

Re: the garage gunsmith: trigger job on my Marlin 375

Carl, your timing is about perfect, I was just talking to my Gun Pusher Monday about this very thing. I mentioned that I read Midway has the Happy Trigger on sale, and he grimaced like I'd insulted his dog. He's been putting off buying one to try out for years, I said I was thinking about getting one for my 375, of my five Marlins it has the WORST trigger I've ever pulled on a levergun. So I'm seriously thinking about trying a trigger job, and if I screw it up, I'll just order the Happy Trigger to replace it.

What kinds of stones did you use? Any problems getting the trigger plate or the trigger out of the housing? Anything to watch out for? I've torn down all my Marlins to bare bones for cleaning, but never dismounted any of the triggers......none of them ever needed it until I got the 375!

If you took any pictures, we could make a How-To Thread, maybe even a sticky.
    We're at the point where Hamas are freedom fighters and the NRA is a terrorist organization. —Twitter satirist @hale_razor

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

PJ,

If your trigger job fails on the 375, send it to me. I will make it work well and set it to your pull for you. Your cost: postage. I do not recommend setting the pull at less then 3 lbs. It can be done but may be too light for a hunting rifle.

Shipping is easy, I don't want the rifle, just the trigger housing assembly and the hammer. I use a jig set up and the complete gun is unnecessary.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

Jim, you've got yourself a deal. I'm in the middle of testing loads in the 375 again this week, but as soon as I can swing a Happy Trigger, the process will begin. I'll keep you posted.
    We're at the point where Hamas are freedom fighters and the NRA is a terrorist organization. —Twitter satirist @hale_razor

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

Do remember doing a simple trigger return spring bending can take up to 1.5lbs off the pull.

fk
    Member #

i sent my 375 into Marlin and they would not work on it with the WWG trigger in it, so I said take it out and send it back to me. Well they sent it back with the rifle that had a new trigger in it. So put a dummy round in and fired it four or five times and it was about 3 to 4lbs so I measured it and it was a smidgen over 3.75lbs so I left it alone. I don't know what happened unless the technician who worked on the rifle elsewhere stoned it down for me but I am very happy with the Marlin trigger now and have a spare to put into my next rifle. They say it is better to be lucky than good and I believe that.

"fk"
    NRA Life Member
    US Army Veteran
    Team 32 Special #13 (little scary huh)

Wrangler
    Member #

G'Day All
    We've experimented with joining the two parts of the trigger to copy what a Happy trigger does. It's a reasonably simple job and works well. I have two Happy triggers and four conversions and you can't tell the between them except one. That one is my 1894P that I use for shooting Wallaby, it has a converted factory trigger, a lot of stoning and polishing and lets go a just over 1.5 pound.
    Juddy
    turkeyshooter likes this.
    The Chairman

Wrangler
    Member #

TOTALLY AWESOME !! glad to see my post got some good things happening.

papajohn,
    not a problem with any of the disassembly/reassembly, very obvious and straightforward, Piece of Proverbial Cake. Best of all, no springs to go zinging into oblivion.
    With that said, here's my post over at the 444 Marlin forum:
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,48159.0.html

here are URL's for the take-apart/put-together, the second one has pictures:
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,21932.0.html
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,26786.0.html

As for stones/abrasives: I used an Arkansas Medium stone for some quick cutting, then an Arkansas Fine stone for all the polishing. Also, I used a Fine Diamond file to smooth out the portions of the casting against which the hammer moves/rotates.

Cheers,

Carl
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Member #

Good post, Carl

That is the same stone system that I use. I also use a home made jig to hold the parts and a belt polisher (like a belt sander except with polishing belt).

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn
    Jim, you've got yourself a deal. I'm in the middle of testing loads in the 375 again this week, but as soon as I can swing a Happy Trigger, the process will begin. I'll keep you posted.
    PM sent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links