338 mxlr
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: 338 mxlr

Tenderfoot
    Member #

338 mxlr

Hi everyone, I have a 338 mxlr that I purchased brand new I don’t remember when at this point. I recently installed a scope on it and found that I could not get it sighted in due to running out of adjustment, so I did what everyone does and turned to the internet and I found that I have the dreaded barrel droop. I don’t have a Jm stamp barrel that I can tell, I have never sent the gun anywhere for repairs. Is this something that everyone is just living with or are you guys having this fixed? It has been probably 8 years since I have shot this gun on iron sights but I don’t remember it having accuracy issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Opinionated Texan" Super Moderator
    Member #
    The only fix is a new receiver
    the ones with the droop were threaded crooked.
    it will have to be returned to be fixed.

the question is since these are no longer in production
    will Remington repair it?
    i am sure you can call them and ask.
    Scorpiusb, Ret_Eng, JACKTW and 3 others like this.
    Navajo
    Lever-Action Addict
    Savage 99 fan
    MXLR fan
    Full-Blood Texan

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Yes, what Navajo said... You can shoot it straight with iron sights because both sights are on the barrel and in line with the barrel... It is when you try with a scope or a peep sight that is mounted on the receiver that you run into problems...
    Ret_Eng, JACKTW and M1Riflenut like this.
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield, Team 1894

Symptoms of Marlinitis

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Very interesting, yours is a 2009 which should be a JM but the barrel is stamped REP which is REMLIN.

My understanding is that Remington will not repair it.
    1. It is out of warrenty
    2. They have no receivers left to repair it.

Somebody on here already tried to go through Marlin to get it fixed.
    Your only hope might be if they go back in production again but that is a long shot.
    Call Marlin and see what they say but explain the issue thoroughly and ask if they have receivers before you send it in.
    JACKTW, Kevin.M and M1Riflenut like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Did you notice if the primer strikes are off center? Maybe a pic of the primer strike...
    JACKTW, Sidespin and Kevin.M like this.
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield, Team 1894

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Sidewinder
    Dillingham, Alaska (327 air miles SW of Anchorage)
    Member #
    Living with it - mine has droop. I knew it early on but was afraid to send it in for fear of all the send-back horror stories I kept reading. I shimmed the crap out of it, used Burris Z rings, and tried a few different scopes. I eventually found one that allowed me to get on target. I've killed a fair number of moose and caribou with it (including one yesterday). I plan to take it to Africa on a trip I have scheduled.
    Judson, Kevin.M and M1Riflenut like this.
    Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thes. 5:16-18

"Boy, are you a stutterer, or have you just got a brick for a brain?"- Capt. Inish Scull; Comanche Moon by L. McMurtry

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I have not noticed off center strikes but I also never looked so I will do that.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thanks everyone I will give them a call and see what they say. If they will not fix it i might just get rid of it and move on.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Saw your pic--REP is Remington Peters stamp. How bad is the droop ? You can tell if you mount a scope and then pull out the bolt so you can bore sight it. Line up the bore on a bench rest with the target bulls eye at 50 yrds and then look into the scope and see how high the crosshairs are. If you have to crank it down all the way to line it up on the bulls eye you can tell how bad the droop is. You would want to be on target with the scope elevation in the middle of it's adjustment. You can shim the rear scope mount to raise it and compensate for the droop. It will shoot fine if you can shim to adjust the scope to be parallel with the barrel angle. It's a good hunting caliber worth saving. Hopefully it is only a downward droop and not off to left or right too.

PS--Remington cannot fix it at this point in time.
    Kevin.M likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Cowboy, view the OP's first pic using a straight edge butted to the receiver and note the barrel at the end relative to the straight edge, his rifle has significant BD.

With that much BD you need to be concerned with improper head spacing. Enough that I personally wouldn't fire it.

Unfortunately, Remington ran out of NH JM receivers to replace receivers with BD.

My contact in Marlin tech claims Remington intends on reintroducing the 308ME rifles. Of course, I've heard this since 2012 and they haven't yet done so. Should they actually do so they'll need to run the ME receivers that have v-threads rather than the square threads.

You should contact Marlin's tech department and explain your 338MXLR has significant BD and inquire when they will have receivers available to fix yours. They may or may not warranty it but if they indeed run the ME receivers, you can at least appropriately fix the BD with a new receiver. Your head space should then be good to go and you'll be able to properly use a scope.

Do keep us informed what Marlin tells you.

Good luck.

Jack
    navajo, Ret_Eng, Kevin.M and 2 others like this.
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links