338 mxlr - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: 338 mxlr

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I had heard that Remington had so many issues trying to use the equipment that they got from Marlin in the buyout that they gave up because they didn't have the knowledge base to make it work.
    My understanding is that they underwent a program to create new blueprints for everything so they could produce them on the new CNC machines they were buying.
    Correct me if I am wrong.
    JACKTW likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffletop View Post
    I had heard that Remington had so many issues trying to use the equipment that they got from Marlin in the buyout that they gave up because they didn't have the knowledge base to make it work.
    My understanding is that they underwent a program to create new blueprints for everything so they could produce them on the new CNC machines they were buying.
    Correct me if I am wrong.
    WT, I should let Tomray answer this in detail but if I recall correctly, Remington scrapped most of the equipment used at the NH plant. That included much of the product blue prints which is one hell of a story in and of itself.

I recall at one point, Remington contacted ex-employees wishing to resurrect the CNC machine NH used since their shiny new CNC was entirely too slow and didn't make better parts any better. The employees declined since Remington messed up the CNC machine, as they did with the other equipment NH used.

Of course, Remington has used untold buckets of BS blaming Marlin for their self-imposed woes and blunders. But it was all Remington that created their problems.

And the beat goes on.

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I knew Remington had scrapped most of Marlin's old parts inventory but I thought that they did ship the equip and their initial attempts to produce rifles with it were a disaster because they didn't have the experience to use it.
    Then they stopped production on many models in an attempt to concentrate on getting a few right and had issues with that also then decided to start with all new CNC equip.
    Hopefully Tomray can elaborate.
    JACKTW likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffletop View Post
    I knew Remington had scrapped most of Marlin's old parts inventory but I thought that they did ship the equip and their initial attempts to produce rifles with it were a disaster because they didn't have the experience to use it.
    Then they stopped production on many models in an attempt to concentrate on getting a few right and had issues with that also then decided to start with all new CNC equip.
    Hopefully Tomray can elaborate.

They did ship the equipment but there is more to the story. I sent Tomray a PM to chime in here.

Jack
    Waffletop and Ret_Eng like this.
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    This is such a sorry subject.................

Jack asked me to try to help this this issue..........There's really not much I can suggest.........

1. 338MX is a high pressure cartridge, operating at the very top of the allowable pressure limit for the Marlin design........
    Yeah, I still think the receiver, Bolt and Locking bolt should have been re-designed specifically for the those pressures....

2. Headspace is very important in that caliber, and its hard to maintain in that design and that caliber.

3. Scope shims can be used to gain more scope adjustment, but I recall the max shim limit was .020 depending on the quailty of scope ..........

4. Remington didn't have "left over" parts from North Haven.............Remington ORDERED every North Haven component they received to help them produce rifles, while they "learned" to manufacture the components.......

5. I don't know what the worst case of barrel mis-alignment is, or what it looks like ..............It's been 10 years, for me.

6. Bolt thrust............yup!............the 338MX certainly has plenty of it.

7. Will Remington ever build receivers to replace yours?..............I highly doubt it..............I think the'll blame North Haven.........

8. For clarification, the REP on Remington's barrels stands for Remington English Proof........

9. Re: Machines and equipment........Remington received all the NH machines, and the machine were ALL production capable when we dismantled them..........Yes they were older, but Remington didn't have the setup and maintenance experience to use them........They even dropped a few machines during the unloading process.....

I can't tell you what to do to fix that rifle, because I haven't seen it, and don't know what others may have tried...........

Maybe,........... Just Maybe, a good Gunsmith could suggest something ............

Good Luck,

Tom
    Last edited by Tomray; 03-18-2020 at 07:39 AM.
    NRA LIFE
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    CCDL

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

7. 03-18-2020, 12:21 PM
    Reason
    unsafe advice

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Again, it's all about the headspace, if the headspace is not within specs the fact that you can shim it to hit a target is moot. It's not safe! You are taking a big risk.
    JACKTW, Tomray and turbobug like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Per Tomray:
    3. Scope shims can be used to gain more scope adjustment, but I recall the max shim limit was .020 depending on the quailty of scope ..........
    0.020 max shim limit will not compensate the amount of BD the OP's pic indicates. Further, minus a new receiver his rifles headspace cannot be brought into spec, therefore, rendering it UNSAFE TO FIRE!

I posted: when giving advice, please error on the side of safety.

Any further posts downplaying the inherent danger with shimming to make it work will be met with unwanted action.

Jack
    Waffletop, Tomray, Ret_Eng and 2 others like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ret_Eng View Post
    Do not shoot that rifle! You do NOT have a straight line between the receiver/barrel/bolt. Bad things will happen.
    I would take this advice without question.
    "That wasn't shootin, that was killin" -- Rafe Covington

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    I would try contacting Marlin and see what they can do for you. I would not wait until they run a new batch of receivers because that may never happen. Maybe they can replace the rifle with something new. I know, I know, "I don't want a new Remlin" and what-not but a new Remlin will be better than a rifle that is not safe to shoot. Hopefully they will make it right as best they can. If you don't like the new Remlin you can always sell it versus selling the 338. I would be afraid to sell the 338 to someone that may actually try shooting it. Just my 2 cent for what it's worth.

-Bob
    Tomray likes this.
    Team 39 #36
    Team Express #17
    Team 35 #175
    Team 45-70 #392
    Team 1894 #128

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    They are all out of warranty at this point.
    Tomray likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links