338 mxlr - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: 338 mxlr

Deadeye
    Member #
    Whoooa.... if that first pic is correct and the level isn't bent and positioned correctly, thats the worse barrel droop case I've seen to date. Like Jack stated... I'd be a little leary shooting that one.
    JACKTW, Sidespin, Kevin.M and 1 others like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Buy some 20moa scope mounts or at least one so up can use it as an adjustable shim!
    "Semper Fi Mac!"

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    ― John Wayne

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Folks, when giving advice, please error on the side of safety.

Proper headspace isn't just for accuracy, it's for safety. A lot of factors are at play in proper head spacing, one is proper alignment of the bolt face relative to the cartridge. Especially in a lever rifle with a cartridge that produces a lot of bolt thrust. The 338ME is a high pressure fat cartridge that happens to have significant bolt thrust. This increases the need to have proper alignment of the bolt face relative to the cartridge.

The barrel droop in the OP's rifle is the worst I've seen, consequently producing serious bolt face to cartridge misalignment. Proper alignment plays a significant role in handling the 338ME's high pressure and bolt thrust.

That said, I would not recommend firing it. Period!

To further understand the significance of proper headspace and alignment of the bolt face relative to the cartridge, view this video and pay close attention starting at the 1:55 time mark to 3:05. Note: this is with a bolt action which has a much stronger lockup action than a lever rifle.

Jack

Headspace, what it is, and why it matters

All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Do not shoot that rifle! You do NOT have a straight line between the receiver/barrel/bolt. Bad things will happen.
    JACKTW, Kevin.M and M1Riflenut like this.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I had the same issue with a 2009 308ME last year. I contacted Remington/Marlin and explained the issue. They ask me to box it, they sent fedex to pick it up, repaired it and returned it to me at no cost. Now I have a JM barrel with a MR serial number on the receiver which takes a little getting used to, but at least I feel it is safe to shoot now. It may have been a stroke of luck that it worked out that way, but you never know unless you ask. Good luck
    ballistics04 and M1Riflenut like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I believe REMLIN did produce 308ME rifles and receivers but I don't think they ever produced 338ME rifles or receivers.
    It's doubtful they have any 338 receivers.
    Sidespin and M1Riflenut like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffletop View Post
    I believe REMLIN did produce 308ME rifles and receivers but I don't think they ever produced 338ME rifles or receivers.
    Remlin produced 308ME rifles between 2012-2014 but used JM receivers. All the old CT receivers were used up so no new 308 ME rifles have been made since then.
    JACKTW and M1Riflenut like this.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Super Moderator
    Member #

I asked my contact in Marlin tech whether Remington ever produced any of the ME receivers and he told me flat out, no.

The 308ME production run they ran were all built on NH JM left over receivers. The ran the ME barrels to make that production run is all. They have since ran out of ME receivers so in order to fix additional ME BD rifles, they'll need to make a run of ME receivers.

That is corroborated but the recent gent whose 308ME had BD, my contact told him they plan on reintroducing the 308ME and when they do, they'll then be able to replace his receiver. Until then, his ME is an expensive paper weight.

That said, the more folks who contact Remington with BD, the more inclined Remington will feel a need to produce their receivers.

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ret_Eng View Post
    Remlin produced 308ME rifles between 2012-2014 but used JM receivers. All the old CT receivers were used up so no new 308 ME rifles have been made since then.
    Which prob means they never blueprinted and made new templates/software to produce these on their new CNC equipment.
    M1Riflenut likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Which prob means they never blueprinted and made new templates/software to produce these on their new CNC equipment.

I seem to recall Tomray mentioning something regarding the blueprints, I don't recall whether it was them being tossed or what.

FWIW, all of Marlin 336 receivers are the same and then machined to the calibers specs. Of course, ME's require the v-threads to handle the ME high pressure. But the 336 receivers all begin the same.

IOW, there is no difference between the 308 and 338 ME receiver. Although, Tomray conveyed the 338ME should have had it's own receiver to allow extra room between the bbl and mag tube.

Jack

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links