What's the Future for the .308? Anybody know?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: What's the Future for the .308? Anybody know?

Tinhorn
    Member #

What's the Future for the .308? Anybody know?

Hi Guys!

I've been away from this forum for a while (actually, for quite a while).

Does anybody have any idea if Marlin/Remington is ever going to resurrect the .308 Marlin Express? Have any of the bigwigs over there said anything?
    I remember reading somewhere that Marlin/Remington planned on restoring many of its products as it got its new tooling in order. Is my memory
    accurate and if so, does anybody know anything about the .308 MX?

I'm asking because I bought one of the first .308 Marlin Xpresses when they first came out and shot my first really big buck with it. However, in the
    following years I kept the Marlin on the back burner as I was shooting other rifles for deer, such as my current Tikka T-3 Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor, which
    I bought out of my sentimentality towards my Finnish heritage.

But now with my Marlin .308, I don't know if I should stock up on as much ammunition as I can afford, sell the rifle, or just sit tight in the reassurance
    that Marlin/Remington will be resurrecting the platform, so I needn't worry about future ammunition supplies. Given my circumstances at home, reloading
    is not an option for me.

Thanks ahead of time for anything and everything you can clue me in on or can suggest.
    quot;Giving money to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy." --P.J. O'Roarke

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I can dream.
    ballistics04 likes this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I own a 308ME made by Remlin. I bought mine after Remington took over Marlin and started making them in Ilion NY. I lucked out as mine shoots straight and I fixed all the cosmetic issues myself. If you are worried about ammo just buy a case of 308MX and keep it. I don't think Remington is going to bring back the 338ME and the 308 ME or it would be out already. With all the problems they have been having just with new 336, 1894,1895 rifles I think trying to make the 338 and 308 will be problematic for them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I would not rely on thinking marlin will produce any more 308 or 338's, heck they can't even successfully produce a 39a. but Hornady has been very good at keeping in production ammo and brass. they also brought to market some other calibers that had not been produced in a while like the 25-35 and 218bee. I got a case of ammo and 800 pieces of brass preventing my 308mx from ever becoming just an over priced door stop.
    ballistics04 and Pereira like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I have an original first year production 308, and kinda hope they don't as mine will be worth more and more.
    I reload and have enough brass to last my lifetime and maybe my grandsons.
    I use the Sierra and Speer 170's, so I'm good to go no matter.

I wouldn't own one even if they did.

RP

Monty Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Mich, I have a contact that works in tech at Marlin and works closely with the production manager. He has conveyed the 308ME is next now that they've reintroduced the 444Marlin.

My contact has also mentioned that Hornady has been hounding Remington to reintroduce the ME's rifles. So we'll see if Remington actually does so.

Personally, the odds are much greater they'll reintroduce the 308ME but I have my doubts for the 338ME.

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    After what I am reading in the rant section, I would not want to gamble on the quality. I have a first year xlr .308 and would like an xlr 338, but not one made by remlin or a drooper. Do you think they can get it right? Especially with the non standard barrel threading?
    ballistics04 likes this.
    "That wasn't shootin, that was killin" -- Rafe Covington

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeshooter View Post
    After what I am reading in the rant section, I would not want to gamble on the quality. I have a first year xlr .308 and would like an xlr 338, but not one made by remlin or a drooper. Do you think they can get it right? Especially with the non standard barrel threading?
    Are those serious questions or more to making a point aimed at Remington's CQ?

Regardless, the 308ME... maybe, since Remington made a production run of them using left over JM receivers. Still, they've used up the JM receivers so Remington would need to successfully run ME receivers.

The 338ME, judging by the difficulty NH had producing them, I highly suspect Remington will never even entertain reintroducing the 338ME.

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    In the May/June edition of Rifleshooter, there's an interview with the new CEO of Remington, Ken D'Arcy. He seems like a stand up guy from the interview. He said that he's going to strongly emphasize quality in in the company culture during his new reign. I recommend everybody get the magazine and read the interview. Of course, he could be totally BS'ing but assuming he's not, what he says sounds pretty optimistic for the long term. As I said, I'm not in a position to roll my own in terms of ammo. I'd also prefer not to sell my .308, as so far it's been a pretty decent tack driver and it took my first really big buck. So I guess for now I'll stock up on as much LeverEvolution .308 ammo as I can afford and hold tight. I'm not looking to buy another one but if Marlin reintroduces the .308 I won't have to worry about future ammo supplies.

Thanks everybody for your responses!
    pacificpt, ballistics04 and Boris like this.
    quot;Giving money to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy." --P.J. O'Roarke

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I don't much faith in this new CEO. The previous Big R heads have said the same thing but nothing has changed going back to the 2010-2012 era. A saying I leaned from my US Army Artillery days goes--"Believe it when you see it." I am not buying into Remlins current company line until I see the actual proof.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links