The future of my .308MX going forward
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The future of my .308MX going forward

Sidewinder
    Member #

The future of my .308MX going forward

Ok, here's the deal. I got to thinking about this new bill they are pushing down in California (AB-3071) and realizing my home state of Washington will try something similar sometime soon, I got to thinking maybe I'd better start stock piling some monoflex while supplies are available. I know, Hornady keeps saying they won't orphan the cartridge but I've been down that road before (.22 Rem Jet as one painful example) and I'd like to leave this rifle to my grandson as something other than a wall decoration.

Here's my thinking. The rifle gets almost no range time other than checking the zero occasionally. When I bought it in 2007 I liked it so well that I immediately went back to the same gun store and bought a model 39AS for a practice rifle. That keeps most of the wear and tear off of the .308 and I have enough .22 ammunition to last several generations, although I'll have to start sourcing non toxic .22 ammunition if lead does get banned. I have about seven boxes of .308 ammunition on hand which will yield 140 once fired cases. Probably another fifty empty cases. Roughly 200 cases for bank. Now if I figure I need a total of 300 empty cases total as a hedge against catastrophe and my next purchase is five boxes of loaded 140 gr. monoflex for seed then I should be set.

Component wise I'm in pretty good shape. I've got an unopened set of dies that I bought a couple of years ago. I'll be getting a factory crimp die. Also I will order a case for my comparator. All the usual stuff. There is a Rockchucker with all the peripherals out on the bench. I figure maybe four hundred bullets (~$250) for supply. I need some more LeverEvolution powder. My primer supply is more than sufficient. That should bring the total to about 600 cartridges, counting the factory ammunition, which should be plenty considering the rifle has only had maybe four boxes through it in the last thirteen years.

Anybody doing anything similar? Am I missing anything?

DJR

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Better to have it now an not need it than not have it and need it later.
    ​~ Mike <*)(((((>{
    MO Project Threads: 44-40 Restore , DIY Case Annealer

Captain Team Shotgun, Captain Handgun Team Semi-Auto
    Teams 30-30, 45-70, 35 Rem, 44-40, Wheelguns

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    While you m ight not necessarily be able to get the Hornady Mono-Flex specifically for the .308MX, if something like a lead ban goes through, there are bound to be several options for projectiles for the 30-30 in non-lead format. You won't be able to get the ballistics performance out of normal rn//fn projectiles, but you should still be able to get them.

On top of that, when major markets require something like lead-free slugs, the manufacturers will likely spool up production. They don't like to lose the major markets, and California and Washington are decent sized markets.

That being said, it never hurts to stock up on stuff when it is available. Not likely that prices are going to drop on anything firearms related.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I think I can get close to 2700 fps with the monoflex. I would use something else if I had to but these would work out to 300 yds which is my personal limit anyway. If my numbers are correct it would look something like this:

fullsizeoutput_14c-L.jpg

The monoflex expands down to 1800 fps (supposedly) so 300 yards is not unreasonable. Truthfully I have to hit the range and see if the rifle likes them, it does so well with the FTX that I've never felt the need to experiment.

DJR
    graymustang likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Here are 200 once fired cases for 49.00. Bought some about two months ago, very nice clean brass.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/855971098

Push comes to shove, could always file the tips of Barnes TTSX bullets a little flat, maybe.
    "Should have put more dirt down, saw it right off." Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Get it while you can. my 2 cents.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Also watch midway for factory seconds on 140 grain non lead .30 cal bullets, they are hornady monoflex for the 30-30. The last ones I got were the ones for 308 mx, the grooves were in the correct location. I’ve been using them to keep my 300 savage going and they work very well out to 300 yards. I try not to use Barnes because I heard the donated to get the lead ban passed here in Cali.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    after I found a 308mx, bought a case of ammo, then when midway had brass on clearance picked up 800 shells. I watched what happened in the big shortage and never again want to worry that I cannot feed a gun that I have.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    A statewide lead ban is only a matter of time here in Washington. I just don't want my .308 to become the eight track tape player of my rifle collection. In addition to the Rockchucker there is a Dillon 550b on the bench that is a mini factory for my handguns. My other rifle calibers are probably ok, there is no shortage of lead free options there. My concern is for the one bullet that will keep the .308MX in the game...the monoflex. I will use other bullet options if I have to but I am primarily an elk hunter and I want all the performance from this cartridge I can get. I'm just thinking out loud here on the forum trying to get an idea of what that would take in terms of hoarding.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    don't know if this qualifies in the lead free arena, but back several years there was a guy on castboolits that was experimenting casting out of zinc, takes a few more degrees than lead but might be something to it.
    the bottom line is we as shooters/hunters need to stay organized and push to have these proposed new regulations squashed before they become law of the land
    as far as 308mx ammo and brass availability, if marlin were gonna make more rifles they should have done it by now, so if you got one get the supplies while you can so it won't become an overpriced door stop.
    rob42049 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links