• 5 Post By Waffletop
  • 4 Post By North Idaho Shooter
  • 1 Post By Waffletop
  • 1 Post By AJ100

Thread: Got Droop?

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Got Droop?

I'm sure this is the dead horse with most of you members in the know but this is new to me as I have owned one 336 in .32 special and one
    30-30 and that was 50 years ago.

I have 400+ firearms I have acquired over the last 40 years and found this one in with a group I purchased as a small collection.

It is a 91 serial number 338MX and I have read through the posts on the barrel problems and how to check with a straight edge. I read that only some of the 91's had the droop problem and other opinions sounded as if they all had the problem. I really didn't want to take off the scope and base that came on the rifle so I started with the following steps.

First, I counted the turns as I dialed the elevation all the way up from bottom. 5 turns on this particular Bushnell.

Second, went back to the bottom and came up 2-1/2 turns to split the difference.

Mounted the bore sighter and only had to go a few clicks to get the crosshair centered on the grid.

Was this a waste of time and I must use the straight edge or am I good to go?

Thanks
    Last edited by JACKTW; 02-25-2020 at 02:35 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    AJ, the dreaded barrel droop affected only a small percentage of receivers in that '91 production run. The majority of Marlins with BD folks weren't able to zero their scopes on target. With your scope needing only a few clicks to dial in the cross hairs to your laser, I'd say your Marlin escaped the BD.

Jack
    AJ100, Scorpiusb, rob42049 and 4 others like this.
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    At one time I was trying to track the serial# range of affected rifles. I may have posted in one of the barrel droop threads. I have an early 91/2009 and it is good to go. As mentioned it only affected a small portion of the 2009 run before it was caught. The prob now is if you have the issue there is no way to get it repaired as Marlin no longer has any receivers left and unless they start producing the rifle again you are out of luck.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    +1 on only some of them have the issue. I also have a 91/2009 308MX, and it has no issues either. A very acccurate rifle and capable of being dialed in all the way out to about 500 yards.

6. 02-25-2020, 02:20 PM

Tenderfoot

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    For reference my 338Mx serial# 91004xxx.
    rob42049 likes this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thanks for the replies
    rob42049 likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links