Marlin 336as conversion?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Marlin 336as conversion?

Sidewinder
    Member #

Marlin 336as conversion?

Been trying to find a factory original and am seeing it's next to impossible.
    So now I'm wandering what I'd need besides a rebore to convert an old 30-30 to a 338MX.
    Is the bolt carrier the same or would I need to modify it?
    How about the extractor?
    Thanks.
    Marlinjunkie likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Not gonna happen. Threading is wrong and tolerance needed is way tighter for 338 ME. There is a reason Remington isn't doing it. They don't know how to
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan alder View Post
    Not gonna happen. Threading is wrong and tolerance needed is way tighter for 338 ME. There is a reason Remington isn't doing it. They don't know how to
    What's that mean?
    The barrel is threaded different with the 338MX?
    What does tolerance mean?
    It would seem Remington is figuring out how to reinvent the Marlin leverguns slowly, but thankfully they're making great progress after the shakey beginning. Hopefully they bring back the 338MX. I'd love to own one someday.
    Marlinjunkie likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    The threading on the barrel to receiver is a much stronger design on the 338 ME. Also the tolerance on the locking lug for headspace is extremely tight. If Remington would have figured it out they would produce them. But according to previous Marlin employees it isn't a very easy thing to do
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    A possibility would be necking your 30-30 to 33 caliber, if you really want a 338 type bullet coming out of your 30-30. There used to be a 338 Jacketed bullet plus a plethora of cast bullets for the 33 Winchester, which is a 45-70 necked down in an 86 Winchester. The ballistics could easily be replicated using a 30-30 case with the same bullet. Same OAL. Personally, I am a 35 Caliber fan and would have a 35-30 bored by JES, but this is your choice....
    Sweetwater
    WDRA, Billy Dixon Em
    Team 35 Mbr #75
    Team 32 Mbr #27
    Team Old Pharts #226

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    If you wanted a 338 cal a possibility would be necking up 307 to 338 for a rimmed 338 Federal. You would need to have the action lengthened which any gunsmith that know leverguns should be able to do. For bullet selection you could run any spitzer bullet filed down and flattened off or the 338 FTX bullet.

Personally the 356 just makes more sense to me

Sidewinder
    Member #
    If you wanted a 338 cal a possibility would be necking up 307 to 338 for a rimmed 338 Federal. You would need to have the action lengthened which any gunsmith that know leverguns should be able to do. For bullet selection you could run any spitzer bullet filed down and flattened off or the 338 FTX bullet.

Personally the 356 just makes more sense to me
    How’s the 356 compare as a do it all mountain rifle? I used to have a 336ER back in the day but stupidly sold it =/ I didn’t know a thing about reloading then, but reload for all my firearms now. I’m sure it’s a beast when reloaded for. I’m currently putting together a 30-30AI as a light, fast saddle gun. I wanted to put together a 338MX as my canoe, mountain, big game rifle for our Roosevelts and big black bear we have out on the Peninsula.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Probably about equal. The 356 will lose a little range but can load heavier bullets. I enjoy both the 356 and the 338 ME. The biggest benefit to the 356 is bullet selection

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Probably about equal. The 356 will lose a little range but can load heavier bullets. I enjoy both the 356 and the 338 ME. The biggest benefit to the 356 is bullet selection
    Looks like I‘m going to be adding a custom 356 to the herd then! Thanks for the helpful information to all.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Home - Reboring by J E S

Everyone here loves JES. Plus I believe it only runs around $250 to have it rebored and rechambered

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links