Marlin barrel break in?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Marlin barrel break in?

Sidewinder
    Member #

Marlin barrel break in?

I wonder how many people go through the trouble of breaking in their Marlin? My 338 I’m sure has very few rounds through it. Thoughts?
    Gareth Holland and Downbeach like this.
    Wade

“Aviation is proof that given the will,
    we have the capacity to achieve the impossible!”

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Me it can't do any harm, only good. Gar.
    Lever Jac likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I once knew an old mountain man who believed you could cure a wart by cutting a kidney bean in half, rubbing the halves on the wart, then burying them under a stump by the light of the moon.

If that sounds like a cure to you, then I guarantee an elaborate break-in routine will work.
    sgt_zim, lever30, rob42049 and 4 others like this.
    Pisgah
    ------------------
    "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Actually I bought a new Browning xbolt 308 that I intend to suppress. Browning recommends a quite lengthy breakin for their new rifles. Having never done such a thing to any of my a Marlins, I ask the question. Discussion and learning were my goals.
    Gareth Holland and JACKTW like this.
    Wade

“Aviation is proof that given the will,
    we have the capacity to achieve the impossible!”

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I remember the browning break in process. Yeah, I may have PTSD from trying my best to follow the instructions. I had one browning rifle that I was meticulous in following the break in instructions. It shoots great. Then I got a second one, because the first was lonely in the safe and needed a mate. The second one, I was still suffering PTSD from the first and didn't follow the instructions. I just shot 3 shot groups, and then took a 5 minute break to let the barrel cool. After 20 rounds, I did my standard cleaning routine. It shoots just as good if not better than the first and without the stress.

IMHO, if you're going for bench rest accuracy and need to hit a 1 inch square at 600m, by all means follow the break in instructions to a T. If you're going for practical accuracy, i.e. minute of vital areas out to practical shooting ranges...

YMMV.

Good luck with your new purchase.
    Tarheelherk, Vooch, JACKTW and 1 others like this.
    NRA Life Member Since Election Night 2008
    Team 45-70 #1184
    Proud Member of Uncle Sam's Confused Group Since 1998
    President League of Disgruntled O-4s, USCG Headquarters Chapter.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Many different opinions on this subject but personally, it's a waste of time. There has been multiple barrel manufactures who make custom accurate rifles that say it is a waste of time and that "barrel break in" wears out the barrel faster.

John Krieger, famous Krieger barrel maker, and he says it's a waste of time. Go to the 4 min mark where he goes more into detail on the barrel break in process and the damages done.

Also another longer and detailed write up from an engineer in 2010 on the matter:
    https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/objective-research-on-barrel-break-in-procedures.27321

Kelly McMillan of McMillan rifles said it best, “This barrel break-in processes keeps us in business”. “This shoot and clean, shoot and clean every round or few rounds break-in process only damages your new match barrel and/or significantly decreases the barrel life”.

Team 45-70
    Team 1894
    NRA Lifetime/Endowment Member
    USMC 0331

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I go through the barrel break in process with every new firearm. I do it just for my own peace of mind. It takes a while, slows down your shooting and helps you get familiar with your firearm.
    6'x8' two man rooms with toilets. 23 Years in a Federal Penitentiary

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Never believed in that. Clean the new bore once before first firing. Generally then clean about every 100 rounds, or earlier or later when accuracy falls off.. Most precision marksmen will tell you a clean bore will be off zero, if the sights have been set to a fouled bore, until a few rounds are fired to get a certain amount of foaling back in the bore. The only way to establish a clean bore zero is to clean after each shot, but is that realistic for most intended uses? Hence the desire to keep a rifle intended for immediate use for hunting or duty, basically unclean, maybe a lightly oiled patch followed by a dry patch to prevent barrel rusting after a the range session to confirm zero. You do not want actual amounts of oil in the barrel, as that oil will create smoke on the first shot giving up your position, and on semis like an M1A diesel and raise port pressures on that first round. Going into a match with a clean bore, most folks will fire foaling shots to condition the bore. A cold clean bore is the worst offender.
    Vooch, JACKTW, Tarheelherk and 1 others like this.
    "Should have put more dirt down, saw it right off." Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Super Moderator
    Member #
    In my younger years I bought a good number of new rifles and broke them in by shooting 15 to 20 rounds through, then proceeded to shoot groups. I've known folks who swear by breaking in a bbl and folks who scoff at it. I guess I'm the latter.

I used to clean my barrels after every range trip. With the newer powders being less corrosive, I don't. Unless the rifle is stored, then I clean the bbl and run a oil patch to store it. I run a dry patch prior to use.

I have a friend that swears by fire lapping bbls. I have yet decided on trying it but he claims his results have been tighter groups and easier cleaning. If anyone can attest to the same results, I'd like to hear it.

Jack
    Tarheelherk likes this.
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I took my 338 ME right out of the box and only ran a solvent patch through it then took it out and fired it at 50 yrds. 3 sighters and I was dialed in to the black on the target. Then I fired 2 5 rds groups which were about 2inch grps at 50yrds. I'm using Skinner Express sights with a taller Frt blade. No break in---I took it home and cleaned it. This was with Hornady Lever Rev factory 338 ammo.

Also. on M1A with new ER Hart barrel no break in just took it out and fired service rifle match with it. This is heavy match barrel 6-groove 1in10 twist.
    Tarheelherk and Lever Jac like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links