Well I Missed!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Well I Missed!

Sidewinder
    Member #

Well I Missed!

First chance at a nice whitetail doe at 230ish yards and I missed! 338MXLR shot lights out at the range. Best explanation, other than just screwed up, I had it rested on a carpeted board, left hand on the stock by my cheek. When I fired the big bore jumped off the rest at least an inch or so. Now I’ve used this hold a thousand times rested at the range and other smaller calibers in the field for long shots with no issues. Is it me, do I need to hold the fore end with my off hand with this gun? Thoughts?
    Last edited by Tarheelherk; Yesterday at 06:53 AM.
    Wade

“Aviation is proof that given the will,
    we have the capacity to achieve the impossible!”

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheelherk View Post
    First chance at a nice whitetail doe at 230ish yards and I missed! 338MXLR shot lights out at the range. Best explanation, other than just screwed up, I had it rested on a carpeted board, left hand on the stock by my cheek. When I fired the big bore jumped off the rest at least an inch or so. Now I’ve used this hold a thousand times rested at the range and other smaller calibers in the field for long shots with no issues. Is it me or do I need to hold the fore end with my off hand with this gun? Thoughts?
    I am not an expert just a guy with some of my own experiences. I have tried it both ways and with a light kicking caliber you may be OK, but with the bigger bores that have a bite to them I find you have to hold the forearm snug. from 45-70 down to my 35 Rem I've found this to be the case.
    Life/Endowment member NRA--New York State Rifle and Pistol Association Member
    Semper Fi

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    It happens, when shooting from a bench or bipod my free hand is always crossed supporting the elbow of my shooting hand.
    Teufelshunde !

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Been there. Sometimes, it just works out that way. Like if you were printing a group on paper and had a wide flyer. You ask yourself why? Maybe the Doe turned a bit, enough to let the shot pass by and with big recoil, you may not have noticed? Only had to be a half inch clear of the animal and at 230yds? I cant say, cept sometimes, stuff happens.
    cajun56, Padraig, marlin54 and 6 others like this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    you missed
    cajun56, Vooch, Arky73 and 8 others like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Thankully you didn't gut shoot it or cripple it some other way.
    I like to hold the forearm, pulling the stock into my shoulder. With your style, recoil will change depending on your body position. SO if you are leaning over farther, or standing more upright, you have change in gun movement during recoil.

Long range shooting is not my thing. Last deer was 13 yards. One before that was 22 yards. Farthest shot ever was a buck that ran into the field and stopped about 130 yards out. After I missed him twice running. Ironically that was with the factory barrel sights on a 1895XLR that I bought just before season and never had time to get a scope.
    Always better to carry "too much" gun and too many cartridges...
    Marlin 1894SS(2009), Marlin 1894(1975), Winchester 1886 Ultralight rifle(1910), Springfield Trapdoor carbine(1880), Sharps carbine(1863)
    I like big calibers

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    I always keep a hand on forearm when shooting. But that's me.

ca'jun56
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Deadeye
    Member #
    Just the way I do things, YMMV. On the bench I only shoot enough to make sure the sights or scope are still true. All other shooting is from field positions at 8" paper plates without any markings on them. Whatever distance I can keep ALL of my shots on the plate is my hunting distance for that rifle. The distance is different for standing compared to braced standing, which is different from seated, etc. Knowing those distances, for me, is way more helpful than how tight I can keep 3 or 5 shots from a concrete bench.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    These are the opinions I respect so I will support the forend with my off hand. I must say none of my other calibers have the snap that my 338MEs have. My 308MEs are very tame compared to its big brother. Like you guys my T4, 35, and 3030 kills have been a lot closer shots with more conventional ,tree stand, rifle holds. I have practiced a lot at longer ranges just haven’t taken many. Last shot was 197 with my 308MXLR, nice 6pt in the freezer. Bill, body position, bingo, I was hunched over more than normal, duh! Thanks for your thoughts and no ego here, flame away. Hunting can be very humbling!
    Wade

“Aviation is proof that given the will,
    we have the capacity to achieve the impossible!”

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by turbobug View Post
    you missed
    . . . and sometimes that just happens.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links