POI problem update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: POI problem update

Banned
    Member #
    OK JACKTW, I'm on my knees paying you homage for your help with my poi problem. I went and bought a pound of Winchester 760 powder. Loaded up 3 rounds and shot. That was a laughable waste of $25, so yesterday I went to a bigger gun shop and got a pound of LVR.

Took the day off of work today to just shoot this rifle. Started out with 44.0 grains of LVR. 3 shots averaged 2239 fps with an ES of 128.1 and SD of 62.28. Moved up to 45.0 grains. 3 shot avg of2246 with ES of 50.15 and SD of 25.53. Next: 46.0 grains and 3 shot avg of 2344 with ES of43.84 and SD of 23.64. I'm thinking I'm getting close, so I only move up a half grain to 46.5. 3 shot avg of 2380 with ES of 31.43 and SD of 16.08. Last 3 shot string @ 46.8 grains of LVR yielded an avg of 2430 fps with an ES of 4.39 and SD of 2.64. Group size of last group was 1.25". Group size @ 44.0 was 6+ inches.

Thought it was pretty cool watching everything progressively come together. I'm a happy camper today, thanks to your help. 1.25" probably isn't that impressive, considering my 338 RCM will shoot .375 groups as regularly as I can, and that's shooting 59.0 grains of A2520 and 180 accubonds, but for a lever gun, heck yeah, I'll take that 1.25" group any day.

Thanks again

Gary

Oh yeah. OAL was 2.580" with .120" jump to the lands. Sounds like alot, but it is what it is.
    Last edited by mohawk257; 05-15-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    As jack also mentioned check to make sure there is no forearm pressure exerted on the barrel. I also found that on my 308MX and 338MX the mag tube was tight at the front going over the stud that is dovetailed into the bottom of the barrel requiring you to slightly "Spring" the mag tube over the screw stud. I relieved the hole in the mag tube so that it drops over the stud without having to force it in place. I believe this could be a cause of barrel pressure as the barrel gets hot.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Congrats on your success, Gary. Curious, how is your trigger pull on your 338MX? I ask since mine was fairly heavy and after doing a trigger job it has a 2.75lb pull. That helped and when I do my part, my 338MX will consistently print sub-moa.

When I did the trigger job and slicked up the action as well and it now cycles like butter.

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Member #
    Cowboy23, no pressure on forearm at all. Matter of fact, I can slightly wiggle it a bit. I sanded it out to take care of that. Jacktw, the trigger pull is about 5 lbs., if I remember correctly. Haven't messed with it at all. I've been thinking about replacing trigger and spring to get rid of the trigger flop and lower pull. I also want to replace the lever with one of them medium loop levers. I think they look alot nicer than the large loop, yet still give some space when I have gloves on.
    JACKTW likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    mohawk257---I just installed a new Remlin made large loop lever on my 308MX because it did not fit right on an old JM 35 Rem I am working on. It did however fit perfect into the 308MX because my 308MX is also a Remlin. Also---I had to remove all the sharp edges on the lever and then cold blue touch up----these new parts still are coming out with sharp corners on them. The Pro is it was only 60 bucks new.

308MX.jpg

Wrangler
    Member #
    Glad to hear your progress. Were your groups progressively getting better as your powder load increased? I have done 2 ladder loads with lever in my 30-30 and it seemed the upper end was where I had the best accuracy then 0.2gr too much and the accuracy started falling off. Loads at the low end were about twice as big with flyers.

Banned
    Member #
    Cowboy23, I think I'm going to go with the medium loop lever from ranger point precision. They are really complimentary looking on the Marlins. I think they're $140ish. Maybe a little spendy, but they sure look nice. If I decide to do the trigger, then I'll also get a trigger and spring from ranger point precision. Shute, the woodleigh flat point bullets I'm shooting are $70 for 50 delivered, so I guess everything is spendy these days. Guess I'll just have to work a little more overtime.

Banned
    Member #
    Leverjac, yes to the groups getting smaller. Without repeating my first post, with 44.0 grains of LVR, my group was about 6 inches, and were vertically dispersed. With 45 grains, the group was about 5 inches, and again, vertically dispersed. With 46 grains, 2 of 3 shots were within 2 inches of each other, with 1 shot about 4 inches south of the other 2. With 46.5 grains, group size was 3 inches, with all 3 vertically dispersed. And finally, with 46.8 grains, group size was 1.25 inches, with virtually no vertical dispersion. I am by no means a professional or expert at this sort of thing, but I was frustrated enough with my previous results with this rifle, that I just said enough, and basically did a textbook load development. I was using a woodleigh 200 grain flat point that was designed for the 33 Winchester. I seated the bullet to the cannelure for an OAL of 2.580". That's about as long as I could make it. The base of the bullet was even with the point where the neck transitioned to the shoulder, and there was about .120" of freeborn. Perhaps a 1.25" group isn't particularly impressive, but for me, it was plenty good enough, and the chronograph numbers, as far as ES and SD, were the most consistent that I have ever shot.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    LVR powder has an extremely narrow operating window. You have to stay within .5 grain or less when the optimum level is reached. I've worked with it, and even a change of primer will alter the results. I finally got the hunting load I use now after some experimentation, and don't deviate, same cartridge case, same bullet, same primer, and the same powder weight.
    In that narrow window, it turns in great targets. Filled my Doe Tag last November with the load. Worked well. It also goes overpressure quickly, too. A sensitive propellant, for sure, everything has to be just right.
    JACKTW and Ret_Eng like this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Rob is correct with LVR having a narrow optimum performance window. I'm not particularly fond of LVR, it demands being pushed to achieve good accuracy, and is prone to produce high pressure signs during summer temps.

These ME cartridges beg for precision case prep that eliminates much of LVR's sensitivity and one can achieve much higher performance from these rounds.

Jack
    rob42049 and Ret_Eng like this.
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links