Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By kingstrider
  • 1 Post By BuckyBadger
  • 2 Post By JACKTW

Thread: Scope mount issues, maybe?

Tinhorn
    Member #

Scope mount issues, maybe?

Hi all, I’m setting up my 338mx with a new Leupold VXR, Warne quick release rings and a standard 336 weaver rail. When I laser the bore to the scope at 25, it is really high compared to my other marlins. Never had one start this high out of the box,I.e. the scope is zeroed prior to install. That explains why it took so long to zero at the range with a different scope. Any ideas, no droop, everything is tight, and the rings are the same height.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    When I swap scopes between guns it is normal to have to boresight them again. Some can be way off it seems.
    Merle1 and Tarheelherk like this.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Rarely can you move a scope from one gun to another without having to re-zero. The only exception would be having bases & rings designed to to that.
    Merle1 likes this.
    Nothing is impossible......for the person that don't have to do it !!

Benefactor Member NRA

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Well, I've always bore sighted by pulling the bolt and centering the bore to the target at 25yds, then center my scopes cross hairs 1" high. This gets me on paper and adjust from there to center bullet impact centered and 1" high to the bulls eye. Then out to 100yds to dial it, usually in within three shots.

I check new rails to be certain they're perfectly flat by placing them on 3/8" plate glass that's 7" square. I've had more than on rail that needed lapping to fit perfectly flush. So you might check your rail, you can do it by placing your rail against a vanity mirror. If the receiver is off then you can always shim the rail to sit level.

Prior any of this I check all my scopes factory zero as I've had them be off from the factory and some by quite a bit. Again, using a vanity mirror with good lighting, butt the scope up against the mirror and look through the eye piece. You'll see two sets of cross hairs that need to be matched up as close as possible. The more higher end scopes are the more precise the cross will match up.

If your cross hairs aren't perfectly matched then factory zero is off. Using your turrets adjust until the cross match up as close as possible. Then reset your turrets zero and check to be sure the cross hairs still match.

Watch the short video below to see what it looks like.

Helpful?

Jack

Last edited by JACKTW; 04-01-2019 at 08:27 PM. Reason: typo
    mrguvna and sullivan like this.
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Thanks Jack, fortunately I’ve learned over the years a few of those same fundamentals. I use Warne quick release steel rings and weaver rails on all my marlins. If I want to swap scopes I simply pop it off, recenter it using this same quick method on a mirror and install it with a few twists on its new gun. I also use a laser boresight it to 25yds to quickly get on paper at 50yrds. When I swapped around scopes from another marlin the 338 was way high compared to my others. Maybe it is just built a bit different I guess.

Thanks again
    Wade

ps it always helps to hear any words of wisdom even if they are reinforcing what you already know.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links