Have a Question
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lumpy grits

Thread: Have a Question

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Have a Question

I have a 1894 in 44 Mag and it was manufactured about 1980 (in any case it`s a pre-safety model) and have been doing a fair amount of target practice lately and have discovered that it is not fond of extracting cases that fired lead bullets...jacketed are fine. The bullets will actually fall in the chamber if hand fed so it doesn`t appear to be a problem with too big somewhere to chamber. The extractor seems a little/a lot loose(have no point of comparison). Was looking on Midwest Gun Works site and for Marlin parts it states that it is for parts from post-2009 manufacture. My question is:Will the extractor and spring they exhibit work on my older model ? Thanks, John

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by much ado View Post
    I have a 1894 in 44 Mag and it was manufactured about 1980 (in any case it`s a pre-safety model) and have been doing a fair amount of target practice lately and have discovered that it is not fond of extracting cases that fired lead bullets...jacketed are fine. The bullets will actually fall in the chamber if hand fed so it doesn`t appear to be a problem with too big somewhere to chamber. The extractor seems a little/a lot loose(have no point of comparison). Was looking on Midwest Gun Works site and for Marlin parts it states that it is for parts from post-2009 manufacture. My question is:Will the extractor and spring they exhibit work on my older model ? Thanks, John
    Send a message to Ranger Point Precision, a site sponsor. You'll find them below in the sponsor/business section. Adam will fix you up with the proper extractor. He'll probably need a picture of your bolt face to determine which particular extractor you need.

Good luck. It's an easy fix.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    If the cases are the same and only the bullets are different, I am curious as why it might be the extractor.....
    Are the cast bullets oversized or a real heavy load that is causing pressure issue?
    Always better to carry "too much" gun and too many cartridges...
    Marlin 1894SS(2009), Winchester 1886 Extra Lightweight rifle(1910), Springfield Trapdoor carbine(1880), Sharps carbine(1863)
    I like big calibers

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Doubt it is an oversize cast bullet issue!! But does sound like it on the high side for pressure, which would be a powder charge or selection issue and NOT a bullet size issue.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thanks for the replies...still wanting to know about the extractor/spring. To Rob...I`m thinking Ranger only sells a $58 extractor(saw their video and it looks like a real nice unit) vs 20ish for the Marlin parts. To Bill and Crusty the lead bullet in question is a Keith type that weighs 242 gr+/- with 17.0 gr 2400 sized .430 and a std primer. As mentioned they all pass any "plunk" test. The cases from the jacketed rounds(240 Nosler/23.0WW 296) seem not affected. ??

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    X2 on the RPP extractor.
    I did prototype testing for this extractor.
    It's what Marlin should have used instead of the 'bobbypin' version they went with.
    OP, you're pushing the lead to hard.
    If you have the MG rifling, don't push lead that hard.
    I use my 1982 .44 mag carbine in SASS/CAS and never have any issues with lead bullets as that is all we are allowed to use.
    Gary
    rob42049 likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links