I got my first 1894 in 44 mag
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: I got my first 1894 in 44 mag

Tinhorn
    Member #
    EDIT. MY FIRST 1894 (not two))

To me, it looks good. There was a local pawn shop with a JM for 600 but it was kind of rough. There were some things like scratches, bad dents in the wood and how on earth could the action be tougher than a new one? But it was. So I decided to pass on the JM model and bought the new one.

Anyway, I had been looking at the Remington versión that I ended up buying for a while from a local shop. I ended up with it for $625 otd. Not great but not bad. I will work on the wood with floor wax and ballistol.

I took it straight to the range. All I had was 240 grain Magtech ammo. It shot well. Operated without a hitch and the action while not as smooth as it’s big brother 1895 GBL which went out on its maiden voyage too, it was more than acceptable.

The only problem I encountered was the sights. While I plan to put a Williams WGRS or FP 336 on it, I was able to keep three shot groups at 50 yards within a 2” circle. The problem is that I am out of sight elevation. It is dead on but ideally I would want it two inches high at 50. Oh well, not the end of the world.

I like it. I need dies. I also scored 200 new brass and 100 Speer deep curls in 240 grain from my local dealer for almost nothing. All I need are some primers and H110 and I will be moving ahead. Also I plan to buy some 300 grainers to give it a go.

Thanks for this board and all the posts that have helped me with this and my several 45-70 purchases over the last several months.
    Last edited by Panbolio; 03-13-2020 at 09:53 PM.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Nice looking 1894s. It'll work in to be smoother. Probably hasn't been shot much.

If all you need is elevation, you could get a higher riser, or lower the front sight, or (easiest) shim the riser a little bit higher. I'd make a crescent from a piece of brass cut from the lower part of a cartridge case. Anneal and shape it to fit the curve of the barrel.

Or, maybe you'll find another ammo that will shoot higher.

Good luck.
    roybean1894 likes this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Nice looking rifle, I put a Williams FP 336 sight on my 1894 and with 240gr loads I have enough elevation to zero at 100. 180gr shoot way high and group like crap. If you do go with a FP 336 sight I have some advice (something I didn't realize) if you place sight on two rear receiver holes it obstructs the hammer from operating. Just mount it on the front two holes and it's GTG. Hope this helps and you can get it dialed in.
    roybean1894 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    I have one made in 2015, it's been great. As far as the sights, I would first make sure it has the stock or correct front (height) sight. As far as where mine shoots, with all my loads I seem to be fine within the range of my rear sight adjustment. For my 58 year old eyes, the OEM sights are as good as is gets, but that's just me. Also, I would take the bolt out and give it good clean and lube, that helps keep them nice a slick feeling. Congrats on a nice rifle.
    roybean1894 likes this.

Co-Captain--TEAMS 1894 & Team 450 Contributing Member
    Member #
    Gotta love a Marlin 1894 in 44. I have an 1894P factory ported 44. Fun rifle to plink with or hunt. Congrats on your rifle!
    roybean1894 likes this.
    1895Gunner's Website
    Reloading - Shooting - Hunting

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Looks good. enjoy!
    roybean1894 likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Thanks to all.

Last night I took it apart and gave it a good scrubbing. I think I am going to like this little rifle. The lever throw is so short compared to my 1895s. It feels good. It feels right. I ordered my dies today and I will buy some H110 locally.

I cannot wait to reload for it. Man just doing the math and being able to load almost 300 rounds on a pound of powder. I like that.

I had hesitated buying a 44 mag rifle because my thinking was, “What can it do that 60 grains of H335 pushing a 300 grain Hornady HP (trapdoor load) doesn’t do in my 45-70?”

Well, nothing. But it is lighter and cheaper and it is REALLY fun. Zero regrets here. I have been historically AGAINST messing up the lines of a lever gun, even before I owned them, by putting scopes or red dots on them. However, I have a small red dot that would be just about perfect on this thing. It has a 3 MOA dot and would prefer a 2 but I may have to give it a go. I think inside 125 yards (almost 90% of the places I hunt ) it would be BAD medicine for mr. piggy.
    roybean1894 likes this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I have an 1894CB in 357, made 2019.03.
    I got lucky with mine... fit and finish is very nice, and it is a nice shooter.
    Like all new rifles, the action is stiff... and will be so until well broken in, or slicked up.

OP, I'm glad you got a good one.
    The hit-or-miss quality of new Remlins is too chronic and too frequent for my tastes.
    I'm in CA, and have to buy sight unseen from the internet, then put up with the endless waiting periods, FFL baloney, etc, etc.

I'm just getting into 44 now, for cowboy stuff only.
    I went with a Uberti 1873 in 44 mag, because I wanted the toggle-link action for cowboy.
    I'm not a hunter, but if I was so included to hunt pig, it would be with my 870 and slugs, as I don't own anything more potent, such as your 45-70.
    roybean1894 likes this.
    Life NRA Member; Annual GOA Member, VCDL Member, SASS #108882
    "When I'm dead, I hope my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them."
    Marlin 1894CB, Ruger SASS and Bisley Vaqueros, Bisley Single-Six, Charles Daly 500, Henry Frontier

Tinhorn
    Member #
    @bgavin

I have a client who shoots a Uberti 1873 in 45 Colt. It is the only rifle he has in his safe(s) that isn’t for sale...ever. One day I will have one.

As to the Remlins, I have bought four. A 2015 Guide Gun, a 2019 1895 Cowboy, a January 2020 GBL 1895 and this 1894. I might be the most fortunate person alive but I love all of them. The GBL after less than 100 rounds is the slickest action lever gun I have ever played with. I am shocked. The only thing I have done to it is clean it.

I will have to slick this 1894 up to get it to the point the GBL is but I would be happy if it never got any better. I am happy with them all and wether or not I am fortunate or Remington is doing better, I don’t know. I do know I like them.
    94win30wcf and bgavin like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I think Rem has come a long way with Marlin, I have a 2015 1894 44 and a 2018 1894c 357. They are both very good with no issues. Yea we should still look them over before buying if we can but the stuff I am seeing in shops looks pretty good these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links