I got my first 1894 in 44 mag - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: I got my first 1894 in 44 mag

Deadeye
    Member #
    Remington bought Marlin in 2008, then moved production out of New Haven in 2010.
    This means Marlin has literally had TEN YEARS to correct their quality problems.
    Life NRA Member; Annual GOA Member, VCDL Member, SASS #108882
    "When I'm dead, I hope my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them."
    Marlin 1894CB, Ruger SASS and Bisley Vaqueros, Bisley Single-Six, Charles Daly 500, Henry Frontier

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Nice rifle. Many aftermarket sights available so maybe try one, I use the Skinner aperture rear and blade front on my 1894.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I too brought my first 1894 44mag rifle.. will send pictures soon..
    member #608
    44LVR likes this.
    TEAM 1894 #608 1976 44mag
    LIFE NRA MEMBER
    ARMY/NAVY VETERAN
    JUDGE ROYBEAN1894

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I am going to try the little red dot and see how she likes it. While it doesn’t look exactly correct...I think it might be quite effective.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Panbolio View Post
    I am going to try the little red dot and see how she likes it. While it doesn’t look exactly correct...I think it might be quite effective.
    Not so sure I'd call that red dot "little". Granted, some people put scopes on their lever gun, and I get it when older eyes have a hard time viewing iron sights. I even put a scope on mine for early on testing and load development. However, one of the beautiful aspects of the Marlin 1894 is the handling and pleasure of walking through the woods with a relatively short rifle that doesn't have stuff hanging off it. If your eyes are good enough, recommend trying a rear peep sight and a front sight of your choosing. I am using a Skinner rear in combination with a TruGlo front sight that allows me to change the 0.060 dia fiber colors in it.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Compared to the eotech and Holosun 510...it is a peanut. I would rather have a Fastfire size wise, but I don’t. So this is getting the chance. If I like the idea of it and the functionality then I will upgrade. I can tell already that I would rather have a 2 moa dot.

I have a Williams FP on my 1895 Cowboy, a Williams WGRS on a H&R Handi, a 7600 30-06 and a 1964 700 Remington ADL. I love the peep sights but this red dot has set in my safe for years without a job. We shall see if the idea takes.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I would have went with the JM model and cleaned it up a bit. Remlins are getting better all the time, but I still prefer the JM's. Pre cross bolt safety.
    I bought my 1894 44Mag in 1978. After I got it home and cleaned I just cycled the action a few hundred or so times. This removed most of the factory burrs and rough spots. Then after firing a few hundred times I worked the stock trigger over to get it down to around 3.5 lbs.
    Did a bit of work on things that touched the barrel so they didn't so much.
    It shoots very well with Lyman's 429421 as cast with COWW either water dropped or air cooled.
    It came from the factory with the holes drilled and tapped in the side of the receiver for the receiver sight. This has the sight right at the rear of the receiver and doesn't hamper access to the hammer in the least. I don't know why they don't drill those holes now. Mounting up on the top of the receiver lifts the sight high enough to need a new front sight.
    I have a Williams FP on it and the front sight is just right with the rear almost all the way down. Just a touch high at 100 and a bit over an inch high at 50.
    Around two inches at 100 on a good day when I'm up to the task. Most days are about double that. Getting so even on a good day they are in the 4 inch range. Need to get new glasses.
    I have several different inserts for the rear sight. A .150 for low light hunting, a .093 for hunting in more light and a .050 for targets. The two smaller have the brass ring around them to gather a bit more light.
    I recently got the NOE version of Ranch Dogs 265 gr RFN boolit designed with the Marlins in mind.
    I haven't worked with it much yet. Been feeling a bit poorly. Plan on casting some up and testing them.
    The few I've cast weigh in closer to 270 than 265. Plenty heavy enough for the things I will shot it at. The heavier boolits don't make much since to me. Claims have been made for better penetration. Maybe so, but for my hunting the 429421 punches all the way through a deer. Hit them in the rront shoulder 1/4ering to you and they usually exit inside 50 yards. Can't see I need more.
    Leo
    Joe in Fl likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    @44MagLeo

What a nice post. Thanks. I looked at that JM a dozen times over a two week period. Believe me I knew the math worked out. I am convinced I could have bought it for even less. However, It was rougher than I liked. But there was something bugging me to the point that I decided to trust that little voice inside my head. No regrets. Now if it were that rough and a pre cross bolt safety JM....I would have bought it. But it had the safety and again, the action felt like it was creating metal shavings with every cycle.

Cast bullets are going to be in my rifle’s future. I did my first loads last night of H110 and the Speer 240 Deep Curls. I also picked up two containers of Trail Boss for my 45-70s (which should be fun). I may experiment with the TB and 44 mag too. I imagine a quiet a soft shooting load.
    vaslugger likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    According to a number of handloaders, the heavier bullets (>270 gr) do not shoot as well through the 1:38 twist barrel as the typical 200-270 gr bullets. Mine handles the 240 and 270 gr Speer soft points well, out to 100 yds. That's the furthest I've shot my 1894. The SAAMI .44 Mag rifle barrel spec is .431 groove dia. Some have slugged their 1894s at .432". Depending on your rifle's barrel, you may need larger than typical diameter cast bullets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links