What .41 mag Bullet for Whitetails?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What .41 mag Bullet for Whitetails?

Deadeye
    Western Tennessee, close to the Big Muddy - but not TOO close!
    Member #

What .41 mag Bullet for Whitetails?

Good Evening to All, but especially those lucky enough to have and shoot a Marlin 1894 in .41 mag.
    I'm hoping that next deer season I'll be able utilize my CCL .41 mag and help fill my whitetail tags. My question concerns bullet selection. I'd like to use Hornady's 210 gr. XTP, but am concerned if it will give the penetration necessary for a quick, humane kill or (heaven forbid!) a good blood trail.

Thus far, I've only used this bullet on varmints (armadillos, coons, and occasionally a possum). The results with this bullet have been nothing short REALLY IMPRESSIVE! Muzzle velocity is +/-1,775 fps. (actual chronograph readings, no guesstimates) and inside of 50 yds., armadillos literally explode. The others sustain EXTREME soft tissue damage to say the least.

I'm thinking that the velocity I'm getting from the rifle exceeds the tolerances of the XTP bullet - after all, that is a handgun bullet. Have any of you used the 210 gr. XTP on whitetails and if so, what's your impression?

I do have a couple of other choices to include a Rem 210 gr. SP at basically the same velocity or a cast 220 gr. RNFP at +/-1,550 fps., but that XTP is so darned accurate in my rifle I'd like to use it.

So - based on your experiences, will the XTP do the job?

Thanks in advance.

WYT-P
    Skyhunter
    94win30wcf likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyhunter View Post
    Good Evening to All, but especially those lucky enough to have and shoot a Marlin 1894 in .41 mag.
    I'm hoping that next deer season I'll be able utilize my CCL .41 mag and help fill my whitetail tags. My question concerns bullet selection. I'd like to use Hornady's 210 gr. XTP, but am concerned if it will give the penetration necessary for a quick, humane kill or (heaven forbid!) a good blood trail.

Thus far, I've only used this bullet on varmints (armadillos, coons, and occasionally a possum). The results with this bullet have been nothing short REALLY IMPRESSIVE! Muzzle velocity is +/-1,775 fps. (actual chronograph readings, no guesstimates) and inside of 50 yds., armadillos literally explode. The others sustain EXTREME soft tissue damage to say the least.

I'm thinking that the velocity I'm getting from the rifle exceeds the tolerances of the XTP bullet - after all, that is a handgun bullet. Have any of you used the 210 gr. XTP on whitetails and if so, what's your impression?

I do have a couple of other choices to include a Rem 210 gr. SP at basically the same velocity or a cast 220 gr. RNFP at +/-1,550 fps., but that XTP is so darned accurate in my rifle I'd like to use it.

So - based on your experiences, will the XTP do the job?

Thanks in advance.

WYT-P
    Skyhunter
    Have shot XTP 44cal "pistol" bullets in 240 grain in a sabot out of my muzzleloaders for years... I easily match and exceed the velocities you would see out of factory 44 magnum loads... And the bullet works amazingly... On whitetails... If you hit the front shoulder bone, you get some fragmentation of the hollow point, but the bullet still seems to exit... If you hit right behind the front shoulder, it makes a very decent entry hole and crazy exit hole... I can not imagine the 41cal 210gr XTP would be all that different than a 44cal 240gr XTP... Hope that helps some.
    Skyhunter likes this.

Can never have too many;
    1895xlr, 1894cs, 1894css, 1894ltdss, 338mxlr, 336ss, 336gbl, 336cs, 39a, 36a
    And still looking for more...

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    My only kill with a 41 was several years with a BH and a 210 gr cast.
    Around 25 yds, it was a complete pass through and she never took another step.
    I have a Henry 41 mag and plan to hunt some with it this next year also.
    I'll be using a heavy cast bullet this time also.

I have no experience with that XTP bullet.
    Like the above posted have used the 240 XTP 44.

I noticed we are practically neighbors.

RP

Monty Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    The Hornady manual states the max velocity for the 210g XTP is 1450 fps . I use 19.5g of Hodgdon H110 with good results (accuracy) in my Henry BBS. I'm afraid above their specs I wouldn't get the penetration I needed if need be, For my Ruger BHH I use 210g Speer Deep Curl and Hodgdon HS-6 (1300 fps) which is very accurate and little recoil. Hope this helps you out.
    Skyhunter likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have found the 210 grain XTP very accurate in my .41 magnum FG, like you did. My load is alo in the 1775 fps range. I would take a heart/lung shot shot with no worry. I would try to avoid a dead on shoulder shot. It would do the job, I've done it with my Blackhawk, but that is running a little slower and mushrooms quite a bit on heavy bone. Hard cast drills whitetail shoulder bones very well on the other hand.
    Pereira likes this.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that makes a difference.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    xtp will get the job done and if you cast mp molds 640-413 looks real good

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    On game, bullet performance is far more important than the last word in accuracy. It has been a long time, but the Rem SP, performs very much like the 44 mag 240 gr SP, which is to say ideal.
    "Should have put more dirt down, saw it right off." Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

GH1
    Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I use a 240 xtp in my muzzleloader to good effect; I've no reason to believe it won't be effective in your 41 mag. Hornady makes good stuff.
    GH1 😀
    I owe my life to an organ donor.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I have killed alot of deer with my FG. Either one will work just fine. IF you know the deer will be big & IF you know the range will be short, the Rem. SP has an edge.

Scott
    JohnD13 likes this.
    Team 444 #322
    Team old Pharts # 18

jdh
    Tinhorn
    Member #
    This: https://www.federalpremium.com/handg...e/11-P41B.html
    Is what I used in mine. It was very accurate and went all the way through central Texas Whitetails.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links