What to look for and what to ask when buying a JM online?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: What to look for and what to ask when buying a JM online?

Sidewinder
    Member #

What to look for and what to ask when buying a JM online?

Hey gang,
    I have a question about buying a JM Marlin online. I'd rather buy one in person but that may be hard where I live. I will call around and see though.
    But for buying online, I don't know what to look for, or what questions to ask the seller.
    Is an early 80's JM more desirable because some people don't like safeties, or because they were better made? Should I avoid a rifle that's been used in cowboy action contests, or seek one out? These may be bad examples of what I'm getting at, but I think that illustrates how little I know about what to look for and what to ask.
    I'm looking for an 1894 .357 / .38 if that helps.
    Thank you,
    jerdog3
    94win30wcf likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Not sure about your area, but dont forget to check pawn shops if they handle firearms in your area. Its getting pretty hard to find used guns in most gun stores anymore.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    jerdog3 likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Pipes View Post
    Not sure about your area, but dont forget to check pawn shops if they handle firearms in your area. Its getting pretty hard to find used guns in most gun stores anymore.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Good point. I did try to find pawn shops that buy / sell guns, but I don't think most can in Los Angeles. Or maybe they chose not to. But thanks for the reminder. I'll look again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    The JM 1894 357 Mag was the first year in 79, it does not have the cross bolt safety.
    The 80-84 models are stamped 1894c.
    The 85 to 2000 models are stamped 1894CS, these models have the cross bolt safety. (not sure but I think everything from 85 on has the CBS)

The Cowboy II in .357 were issued in 97 - 2000
    The Cowboy in .357 was issued from 2001 to 10
    The 1894c was issued from 2001 to 10
    The 1894cp is the ported .357 made from 01 to 02

The 1894CSS issued in 2010 is the only stainless .357

So take your pick and try to find one!
    phwebster, jerdog3 and mikom like this.
    ​~ Mike
    <*)(((((>{

Captain Team Shotgun, Captain Handgun Team Semi-Auto
    Teams 30-30, 45-70, 35 Rem, 44-40, Wheelguns

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Check your local gun stores. lots of JMs here.
    jerdog3 likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    In my case I could find no JM in ANY store I visited....in the caliber and model I wanted. I tried about everything and it got me nothing. I didnít really want to go to Gunbroker, but thatís what I did. Hereís what I learned:

Dont be in a hurry unless you KNOW the gun is exactly what you want and exactly as described. Taking your time is how you learn, and find more guns.

Be a bit skeptical about the descriptions you read. Sellers are usually somewhere between 80 and 95% honest about all marks on the gun. A few try to be 100%.

Study pictures carefully. You can spot dents, scratches and marks that are not described in detail.

Start some dialogue with the seller. If they seem disinterested it doesnít mean the gun isnít good, but it can mean you donít have someone who really wants to work with you.

Gun shops on GB can be pretty terse and not so accommodating to your needs.

Every seller gets hit with a request to sell for less. Every single one. Donít start with that approach. Be gentle and be interested in the gun. There are ways to see if a seller will help you out on the price....eventually.

Try to get the serial number of a gun and use it determine age.

Know the return policy and be willing to live with it.

In my case I had my eye on a pretty 1895G in JM clothes. The seller had a good rating, but he just was terrible at answering my questions. I tried for two weeks and finally gave up on his gun. I just wasnít willing to buy without some Q&A. The gun had some marks on it, but nothing major. Nobody ever bid on it in a 7 week span.

In the end, youíll be holding your breath and hoping a gun arrives better than described. Just donít pay a premium price for a gun you canít return....especially if youíre looking for something in superb condition.
    Lever Jac, Vooch, jerdog3 and 4 others like this.

GFK
    Deadeye
    Member #
    My 2 cent: Be patient. If not, be ready to pay a premium. The safety is up to you. Some people are concern with disengaging the safety during hunting. I am not familiar with Cowboy action type rifles. But, I suspect you will not be doing any rapid shooting. So, standard model should work fine. I would look for a site that accept returns, at a low cost. One other thing, checking with the Better Business Bureau (BBB.ORG) may not be a bad idea.
    Last edited by GFK; 01-13-2020 at 09:25 PM.
    jerdog3 likes this.
    "One man's rights end where another man's rights begin." Dad

Deadeye
    Member #
    I understand my 1894CB was re-introduced in 2018.
    Mine is a 2019.03 production run, with flawless fit and finish.
    jerdog3 likes this.
    Life NRA Member; Annual GOA Member, VCDL Member, SASS #108882
    "When I'm dead, I hope my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them."
    Marlin 1894CB, Ruger SASS and Bisley Vaqueros, Bisley Single-Six, Charles Daly 500, Henry Frontier

Tinhorn
    Member #
    You might try going to Cowboy Action Shooting matches and see if anyone is selling CAS rifles. Often they have been reworked. Some of the CAS crowd changes guns on a regular basis. There is a big CAS website also where you can find classifieds, gunsmith information etc https://www.sassnet.com/
    Maineiac, jerdog3 and Ray Newman like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Don't forget you can search here on the MO Forum and you can post "wanted" ads as well.
    Maineiac, jerdog3 and Ray Newman like this.
    JM "Jenuine Marlin"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links